Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: The Great Escape 7/31/06, 8/2/06, 8/3/06 And 8/5/06  (Read 1198 times)

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters
The Great Escape 7/31/06, 8/2/06, 8/3/06 And 8/5/06
« on: September 17, 2006, 09:41:59 AM »
7/31/06
People:
Mom
Dainan (whootah!)
Anthony (the benny)
Savannah (The Vekoma Lover)
Mary Ann (Savannah's friend from the Cabins)

We leave Lake Venare and get to The Great Escape in 10 minutes. I see they moved the entrance up, and you go around the lodge. Which looks great by the way. We get to booth and get our parking pass (Yes, this year they started charging for parking  ! We find a space, and walk over the bridge (over Rt 9) and ge to the main entrance. Swipe our season passes and we are in. They got rid of the metal dectors. We get the VIG (Only used on Desperado Plunge, Nightmare and Wild River today) and head to Boomerang.

Savannah, Anthony, Mary Ann, and I get in lne and within 10 minutes we are sitting in the train. Go up, slow down, drop, fly through the station, go up the first inversion and BAM my head gets knocked int th harness. My first thought is WTF!?!?! and then into the second half of the Cobra Roll, BAM. Than I remember that this was a Vekoma coaster. Vertical loop...and then KERCHUNK! Go up and then release, backwards vertical loop, backwards cobra roll (ouch) and then hit the breaks. It's a shame too because since my first visit in 2003 this was the smoothest coaster in the park. Oh well, as Anthony said, "It has reached Vekoma Maturity!". But this trend didn't las, Mary Ann and I then grabed a last row seat and it was smooth. I'm confused.

After Boomerang we all went on Storytown Train. It wasn't as senic as it once was. Afterwords we went to the Petting Zoo because Mary Ann wanted to go. Fine. We all headed over through the Caves and we all went on Condor. Afterwords Mary Ann, Anthony and I took a ride on Steamin' Demon. Savannah backed out because she was starting not to feel too good and she wanted to avoid a head ache. Besides, she's been on it more than me! Well...good move, because this ride beat the living daylights out of me. So what do Anthony and I do? We do it again, but this time in the front. BAD IDEA! The front trow used to be the most enjoyable, not anymore! 

Well, we decided to go check out Canyon Blaster. We all went on. It got the new restraints (identical to RMT) so it wasn't too bad. But it really wasn't bad before. It was just really boaring. It was mom's first time on it, and she thought it was boaring too. Next we all headed over to Nightmare. It was mom's first time, she asked what it was like and I told her it was like Jumbo Jet but in the dark. It was great as usual. Mom even liked it.

Afterwords, Savanah, Anthony, Mary Ann, and I went on Plunge. The sign that says Desperado above plunge is gone, and so is the Poland Spring logo. What ever the name is, it sucks! We rode it and didn't even get wet. But at least they still have the theming inside the building. We then went and fooled around in Ghost Town and in Storytown and headed over to the other side of the river!

We went over the bridge and saw that the Alpine Bobsleds were closed. So Anthony, Savannah, Mary Ann and I went on Raging Rivers. The ride was fun, but I dfidn't get a drop of water on me. I came off and my mom asked if I even went on. Anyway, On the lift, the boat infront of us had people from a camp group who kept turning around and staring at us. Then one of them yelled, "Are you from State Island!" I was all  ! I was like, yeah! None of them knew me, but they knew people I know.

We went over to the Ferris Wheel which was...interesting. We went around twice and made us get off, we didn't even stop! Oh well. AT least the next ride was good, The Comet! Savannah started to feel sick, so she didn't ride. Mary Ann, Anthony and I rode. I think we rode it 6 times. I lost count. It was so amazingly smooth and flying. I forgot how great this ride was! Ity goes around the turns so fast!

Afterwords we went over to Alice in Wonderland. Thank god, because The Great Escape got rid of the Jungle Land and alot of the Storytown theming. It actually felt like The Great Escape Fun park, instead of Six Flags Great Escape. Afterwords, Savannah, Mary Ann, and Anthony went on the worst Bumper Cars ever! Next Savannah and Mary Ann went on Trabant, while I filmed them. Afterwords we took a ride on the Magic Carpet (Sky ride). It was nice, slow but nice. After that Anthony and I made a run onto Boomerang. We got the front row. It was running fine. We got off and we were going back over the bridge to the family when security stopped us. He asked, "Where are you going?". I said "We are going to our mom and sisters!" He said I couldn't go because the park was closed! CLOSED  !?!?!? It was 7PM, the sun was still out! But it was closed. Walking out of the aprk I asked an employee about the park closing early. She said starting today there closing the park at 7PM every weekday! Ughhhh...oh well.

-That was day 1!

8/2/06

People:
Me
Anthony
Savannah
Mom

We arrived and went straight into Splashwater Kingdom were we sat by the Wave pool. Anthony and I left the girls and did out private ERT on the Comet. There was no one in the station. We re rode a few times. Afterwords we went over to the Alpine Bobsleds. We walked right onto the front row of Italia. It was nice to ride this, and it was different riding it this season realizing that this would be the last year of this coaster. We rode it about 4 times before people came in our row, and we headed down to Boomerang.

Boomerang didn't kill us, it just teased us. A few kerchunks and a little bit of head banging and we were out of there. We rode 4 times and came off fine. We then walked over and we heard Satin himself call us so we said, "What the hell?" and walked right onto Steamin' Demon. The demon tricked us again! So what do we do? We reride it in the front row, duh! Why? Because we can! We rerode it around 4 times before we couldn't feel our heads anymore (who needs drugs when you have Arrow Dynamics?) and we went over to Nightmare. We got in line, 10 minutes our mom called us abck to the water park, so we went back over there.

We go back over and I spent time with Savannah in the wave pool until a girl behind us went under and didn't come back up! I'm not even kidding    ! The life guard pushed a button which made the waves stop and she dove in and got her back to the surface. The girl was unconcouis but the did CPR and I saw her blinking and put a thumb up  ! Anyway, they evacuated the area, so we went over to the Lumberjack water play house thing! Got wet. A bucket filled with water tipped over on us a few times and we did some slides. Anthony got a front row ride on the Comet and we left!

-That was Day 2

8/3/06

People:
Me
Anthony
Savannah
Mom

We were roasting marshmellows at our Cabin resort, and we used up all the marshmellows, and out of no where my mom just said, "Lets go to The Great Escape!" So we went with an hour to spend. We walked in and Anthony and I ran right to Boomerang. We rode it three times before running over to The Comet. We rode it a good 4-5 times and went over to Condor. Took a quick ride on Condor and went over to Nightmare. Nightmare was closed, so we headed over to Steamin' Demon. We rode it 6 times in a row until the park closed. We went back to the car and met up with Mom and Savannah!

-That was day 3, Quick and nice

8/5/06

People:
Anthony
Dainan

So Anthony and I went in, to which would be the worst ever trip to The Great Escape. The park was crowded as hell. We see a cherry picker under Boomerangs second lift, so that's out. We go over to the Comet. We wait 10 minutes and get the second row. Great and filled with airtime. We walk over to the Alpine Bobsled and decide to use the VIG pass. This is where it all goes wrong!

There are two old guys. One at the operators booth and one checking lap bars. The attendant looks at the pass and lets us in. Anthony and I sit, and the operator asks to look at it. No problem! Well he puts it in his pocket. And we say, "Excuse me, but we are supposed to get that back!" That's what they wrote at Guest Relations. The operator says, "No you don't!" So my brother gets out of his seat, and says "Yes we do!" Oh great, so I get out and I try talking to the old stuborn ------- but he was just being nasty. We told him to call guest relations and he said he was going to call his supervisor!

The attendent looked at us, a bit sad actually, and told us to stand behind the exit gate. The attendent starts talking tot he op, but the op was pissed as hell and the attendent just walked away. Anthony calls our mother and tells her what's going on. Now I hear her freaking out about the park, and that it's just like them! The op comes up to us, and I tell her my mom wants to talk to him, and he says no! I say, "Give me the pass, I'll show you were it says we get it back!" And he said, "No, you have no busness with the pass!" I never wanted to punch an old guy in the face untill that  ! Then the supervisor comes up, and he's being a jerk to us and the op is filling out some report. Finally I get the sup overto me and give him the phone. He says, "I have no busness talking to your mother!" I just say, "She insists!" Finally he takes it, and walks away. Five minutes later he comes back with the phone to his ear. All I hear him say is, "Mam' I don't want to argue with you! Mam' mam'. I'm hanging up, have a nice day!" He then gives us back the pass and says, "You'll be on the next ride!"

We get on the ride. This will be our last ever ride on the Alpine Bobsled, and I was pissed! We got off and the attendant looked at us, and nodded his head in an apology matter. And the operator started laughing and jumping a bit, and the attendent just shook his head. I couldn't have been more happy to leave any ride. We then walked all the way over to Steamin' Demon. Used the VIG...NO PROBLEM! We walked right into th middle. It didn't beat us up too bad! We went over to Nightmare, and they handed us Flaspasses for 5:30 PM. It was currently 1 PM, and we had to leave by 2. We told the guy this, and he said, "Well, luckly I saved two of these. He pulled out 2 flash passes for 3:30 and told us to come back in a half an our.

We went over to the Comet and waited 10 minutes for the last row! Great, smooth ride! While walking back we walked by an employee who saw me earlier in the week and asked why I had the camera. I told him I was making a video for my site. Well he saw us, and stopped me, and said he saw the site the night before, and he thought it was cool  ! We went over to Boomerang, still closed, so we went over to Nightmare. The guy ripped the time off our flashpass, and all of those behind us. I know he was risking his job, and I couldn't say thank you in anymore ways! We walked right into the building and waited 15 mintues and we finally got on. I love this ride so much. It's my favorite steel coaster in the park! We then left, and met my mom in the car, and we got the hell out of there!

-Dainan "Great way to end my vacation!" Rafferty

Here's the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-UCNBAj4Rc

Coaster Count: 255