Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Closing Day Trip Reports  (Read 3162 times)

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
  • Parachute Training Center
Closing Day Trip Reports
« on: October 30, 2006, 10:44:57 PM »
Does anyone have any to post  In?terested in seeing how it was.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Re: Closing Day Trip Reports
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:29:47 AM »
I went.  I arrived at 9:40 and waited for the rope to drops. Once they did I  headed to Nitro. Maybe thirty other people followed while every one else ran to Flash Pass Q-bot Rentals or the other way to El Toro.

Once at Nitro it was a complete walk on row 9. The ride was very slow and gradually. I don't even remember getting any kind of floater air at all.  I thought about a re-ride but I headed straight to El Toro.  I stopped along the way to take the only picture of the day, the fountain. I was going to shoot a series of Chiller just in case the worst happens over the winter but I never did go back over that way.

After cutting through the arcade I found myself waiting in a full queue for Toro.  Very slow dispatches even with the two train operation.  At first I thought I had plenty of time for  laps  on E.T, RT and Medusa to finish the season out, but things would change fast and In a hurry.  I made it into the second queue  area  just  enough to see them unloaded a full train and have the guest wait on the side.

The horn went off several times as we just sat there trying to figure  out what was  going on. At the same time RMT horn goes off and then I see Medusa testing.  Turns out the park had a power outage. At this point I gave up and left the line. I figured I could hop on Medusa for a final lap but it was stuck on the lift hill.  On the way out I  Passed RMT sitting on the brake run. Looked for Gasm never saw it. S:uf stuck on the lift hill and finally once in the parking lot I heard Nitro's horn go off.

Well that pretty much ended my day at 11:30.(Had to work at 2)  When leaving , The entrance had about a thousand people waiting to get in.  Funniest thing was hearing one person saying "wow even the Ferris wheel isn't working!! You know they are having problems" 

I can pretty much figure out the rest of the day was filled with two hour waits and huge crowds. Oh, and KK went 1 FOR 1 while testing.

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »
I'd also be interested in hearing what closing day was like from those who were there later in the day.

Closing day at LC didn't turn out great, but I think I'm still glad we were there instead.  Unfortunately, BD had a major problem at 7 and was closed for the night/season.  From 7 to 10, it was Zoomerang or no coasters at all.

Sue

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 05:57:27 PM »
It was pure hell to be honest and blunt.  Capacity level crowds with little to no capacity in rides.  Between the power outage, the wind, the cold and the LOS, I'm not sure there was much that could have been done about it.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 09:01:10 PM »
I missed the whole weekend.
I guess I didn't miss much with the rain and the crowds.
Will start fresh in 2007

I have one more trip for 2006 and will move onto and be waiting for the skiing season to hold me over.

Know I'm just looking for any new announcements / improvements for next year.
Yo

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 10:51:01 PM »
I flew right over the park today on my flight from Philly to New York.  It was great looking down at all over the coasters.  You can make KA out so clearly from the plane.  I got sad thinking I had to wait until the spring to ride.  I think I will be headed to Magic Mountain this winter again.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 07:07:24 AM »
I suspect soon we will know what is to become of Magic Mountain.  I spent about an hour and a half there this summer, rode Tatsu and left.  The park is probably a much nicer place to visit in winter.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 09:22:20 AM »
Yes, possibly this week :(

peterpjr, what airline were you on that took you over Gadv?  I was only aware of military planes flying over, not commericial.  I wonder how high you were at the time.

I really should add that Saturday was a absolute blast.  I'm so glad that I got off my butt and took my son up to meet with Chuck.  We really did have a great time with very managable crowds.

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 10:28:18 AM »
I am a flight attendant for US Airways.  I actually saw the park twice this week from the air.  The first on Monday while I was working a flight. We were flying from CLT to PHL.  I asked the captain who is from the Jackson Area to let me know where were were going near Six Flags.  It was cool seeing it from the cockpit.  We did not fly directly over the park, a little to the left.  However you could see everything as clear as day, Nitro and Ka were the clearest. 

I saw it again on Tuesday when I was flying a US Airways express flight as a passenger from PHL to LGA.  Again not right over the park but to the left.  Again, everything was very clear as it was a very clear day.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 10:41:22 AM »
Very cool.   Well, at least now that closing weekend has past, you still have the opportunity to take a peak from high up during the winter months.  It is very seldom that I fly in or out of Newark or NYC.  Since I'm in South Jersey, I usually go with Philly or AC.  Neat, learn something new everyday!

edit:  real quick, you wouldn't happen to know George Hance (either of them) or Joe Mancaruso would ya?

Offline candc

• Koala Canyon
  • Carlos & Chris
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 03:37:57 PM »
I was there on closing day.  I was actually in the park by 9:15, waiting for the rope to drop while this guy dressed as Superman tried to get the crowd pumped up.

Rope dropped at 10 and I headed to Nitro and rode the back row...2 times in a row before they had their blackout/power surge.  But after about 15 minutes, it was all restored and I rode Nitro about 6 more times as the line was next to nothing - even stayed in my seat a few times as there wasn't anyone waiting.

Kingda Ka was not open that day at all, and El Toro was super busy, so I skipped those.

I did a bunch of other rides throughout the day though; Skull Mountain, Runaway Train, Rolling Thunder, Medusa, Superman, Buckaneer, Music Express, Houdini & Elvira.

After 4PM, the park got very busy and lines were huge, so I basically caught a few shows I don't always get to see like the dolphins, tigers, and Dead Man's Party.  Then I walked around along the waterfront, observing everyone getting scared by the ghouls.  I left the park at 6:30 and went home.

My past experiences on closing day have been similar to this year.  I rode as much as possible in the early morning through early afternoon, and then hung out until whenever I wanted to leave.

It was a pretty good last day overall.  Hope next year something exciting comes out way for opening season!

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 09:45:42 PM »
Very cool.   Well, at least now that closing weekend has past, you still have the opportunity to take a peak from high up during the winter months.  It is very seldom that I fly in or out of Newark or NYC.  Since I'm in South Jersey, I usually go with Philly or AC.  Neat, learn something new everyday!

edit:  real quick, you wouldn't happen to know George Hance (either of them) or Joe Mancaruso would ya?

I don' t think so Wade.