Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: 7 Parks Sold for $312M  (Read 12009 times)

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
Re: Park Sales
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 11:22:48 AM »
With the MTV-U concert thing, if they bring K-OS to Great Adventure, I'm taking the day off.  Most underrated rapper EVER.  Positive message, doesn't curse, great story, wonderful lyricist.  He's a real rapper versus the crappers flooding the radio.  Unfortunately the only place you see or hear him is MTV-U

This season sounds really exciting.  It's put up or shut up time and so far they're putting it up big.  That is a very large number for capital improvements/ maintenance, so I look forward to some intense park beautification.  Rides being ready in March is excellent. Absolutely excellent.  Last year you could feel that it was a year in extreme transition where a gameplan was severely lacking.  This year should be a lot better.

In the words of Ali G: Mr. Shapiro, big up yourself.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 02:14:43 PM »
Sounds very nice from what I just read! I will be so happy if everything is running great at the beggining of the year! Great news about the Safari as well!

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 06:32:03 PM »
And I'll be even happier if everything is STILL running great in mid-July and on fall weekends.

The park almost always opens great...it's execution over the ENTIRE season that is often lacking.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 06:17:03 PM »
I guess no word b4 the new year on the sale of the parks  ?
Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 10:46:40 AM »
Guess not.  I don't know if this is good or bad?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 08:29:44 PM »
For those that don't notice these things, checkout the video link on the left news bar.  Shapiro was interviewed on Mad Money and mentions the sales (if any) being announced within a week :( .

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 10:32:03 PM »
I caught the end of it and thought it was Shapiro.
And I did notice the stock price rise the last few days.
Also Crammer's picks for 2007
Google
#3 Cisco
#2 Apple
#1 NYX New York Stock Exchange

Ok my post is wondering like usual.
So we will see what happens and what ever is the outcome I hope the Stock climbs on the news.
Yo

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2007, 07:10:53 AM »
The stock has been climbing for the past several days.  If the announcement is not what the market expects, it may go down significantly.

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
  • Parachute Training Center
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2007, 09:07:33 AM »
I wonder what is going on with the sale of the other parks?  They said they were confident that they would have a decision by the end of 2006.

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
    • GreatAdventureHistory.com
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 09:19:01 AM »
When Shapiro called in to Cramer he said the announcement was another week or two away.   I have a feeling there will be a couple of the smaller ones sold, with the biggies (or at least MM) staying with us a little longer.

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
  • Parachute Training Center
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »
I hope so.  I love Magic Mountain.  I am sitting here now trying to plan a weekend trip out there in Feb to ride some coasters. I hate this time of year.  I really want some FUN.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2007, 09:28:20 AM »
Wrong stock symbol Peter!  Although I guess I really want some SIX doesn't sound to good lol.

I'm actually considering a marathon trip out west to hit MM as well if it does get the axe.  We know for certain it will be open all this year regardless of the sale so at least we have a little bit of time.

Personally, I was hoping to wait until next year for everything to wrap up at Disneyland so that I wouldn't need to go back there again so soon lol.

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2007, 04:08:37 PM »
Wade, chances are you won't get all the coasters at SFMM in one trip...

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2007, 06:53:43 PM »
Yep.  That sneaky Psyclone made me wait four park trips before it would let me ride it! :)

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2007, 07:05:03 PM »
Ninga, Revolution, Tatsu was being built, one side of Collossos were all closed.

I don't even count Flashback...

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2007, 08:02:59 PM »
Imagine how the one time visitor to Great Adventure from the West Coast feels when they arrive and find many, many rides closed.

If the park only improves one thing this season, I hope it is having all the rides open all the time if at all possible (even better, with all available trains...)

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2007, 08:47:35 PM »
Major coasters that suffered major downtime (2+ days) this year:
Great American Scream Machine
Kingda Ka
Batman and Robin: The Chiller
Runaway Mine Train

That's pretty bad.

I talked to a couple of enthusiasts from Ohio 2 seasons ago (Ka's Innagural) and they came when it was closed. They weren't that mad to be honest, just dissapointed and shocked.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2007, 11:36:22 PM »
I don't consider 2 days serious downtime...unless you mean contiguous days.  Even with that I'm more of a 3 day for it to be moderate and 5 for serious person.  2 days doesn't really sound that bad out of an entire summer.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
It's been done.  And Magic Mountain remains a Six Flags park!

Six Flags Agrees to Sell Seven Parks for $312 Million
Thursday January 11, 8:40 am ET 
Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor in Valencia, CA Excluded from Sale
PARC 7F - Operations Corporation Will Purchase and Operate the Seven Parks; Financing Committed by CNL Income Properties Inc.

NEW YORK, Jan. 11 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Six Flags, Inc. (NYSE: SIX - News) announced today that it has entered into an agreement to sell three of its water parks and four of its theme parks to PARC 7F-Operations Corporation (PARC) of Jacksonville, FL for $312 million, consisting of $275 million in cash and a note receivable for $37 million. The seven parks are: Six Flags Darien Lake in Buffalo, NY; Six Flags Elitch Gardens in Denver, CO; Frontier City and the White Water Bay water park in Oklahoma City, OK; SplashTown in Houston, TX; Waterworld USA in Concord, CA; and Wild Waves and Enchanted Village in Seattle, WA. The seven parks are estimated to have generated approximately $30 million of Park EBITDA(1) and 3.6 million of attendance in 2006.

Six Flags Magic Mountain and the adjacent Hurricane Harbor water park in Valencia, CA are not included in this transaction and will be fully operational and open for business in 2007 and beyond.

"We're pleased with the sale price for this portfolio of parks, particularly since we were able to retain the Magic Mountain parks," said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and CEO. "This transaction confirms the value inherent in our major market branded parks."

The disposition of these seven parks is a key component of the Company's overall strategy to reduce debt and enhance operational and financial flexiblity. Company management stated earlier this year that its intent was to reduce debt by several hundred million dollars over the next several years. The agreement announced today, combined with the June 2006 sale of the land underlying its Houston AstroWorld theme park for $77 million, will result in gross cash proceeds of $352 million for debt reduction.

In their most recent operating years, the seven parks to be sold and the Houston AstroWorld park contributed approximately $35 million(2) of Park EBITDA, implying a valuation multiple of approximately 11 times the combined Park EBITDA.

"My new management team had several key priorities for Six Flags in 2006: transitioning our brand to attract families; cleaning up the parks; reducing capital expenditures; establishing a Corporate Alliances department to forge sponsorship and marketing partnerships with major consumer brands; increasing guest spending; and selling assets as a means to reduce the company's debt," said Shapiro. "With this announcement, all those steps are in full swing and we now have our agenda focused squarely on the 2007 season. A targeted increase in our media spend and our strong new entertainment alliances have us poised to realize attendance gains, making for a successful 2007 season."

The Company noted that obligations with respect to 2007 season passes and any committed park events, including group bookings and the previously announced Dream Nite promotion, will continue to be fulfilled under the new park ownership. Although the two Six Flags-branded parks involved in the sale, Darien Lake in Buffalo, NY and Elitch Gardens in Denver, CO, will no longer carry the Six Flags brand under the new ownership, any 2007 season passes purchased at either of those parks will continue to be honored at all Six Flags branded parks throughout the 2007 season.

As part of the arrangements for the acquisition, PARC will simultaneously sell the parks to CNL Income Properties Inc. (CNL), a Florida-based real estate investment trust, and lease back the parks from CNL pursuant to long- term leases. The sale is subject to satisfaction of customary closing conditions, including clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act and receipt of necessary third-party consents. The transaction is expected to be completed in March 2007.

The Company will conduct a call with analysts and investors on Friday, January 12, 2007 at 12:00 pm EST to discuss the transaction and revise its 2007 guidance to reflect the sale transaction. The teleconference will be broadcast live to interested parties as a listen-only Webcast on http://investors.sixflags.com/.

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company. Founded in 1961, Six Flags celebrated its 45th Anniversary in 2006. It is a publicly-traded corporation (NYSE: SIX - News) headquartered in New York City.

Forward Looking Statements:

The information contained in this news release, other than historical information, consists of forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act. These statements may involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those described in such statements. These risks and uncertainties include, among others, Six Flags' success in implementing its new business strategy. Although Six Flags believes that the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, it can give no assurance that such expectations will prove to have been correct. Important factors, including factors impacting attendance, such as local conditions, events, disturbances and terrorist activities, risk of accidents occurring at Six Flags' parks, adverse weather conditions, general economic conditions (including consumer spending patterns), competition, pending, threatened or future legal proceedings and other factors could cause actual results to differ materially from Six Flags' expectations. Reference is made to a more complete discussion of forward-looking statements and applicable risks contained under the caption "Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements" and "Risk Factors" in Six Flags' Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2005, which is available free of charge on Six Flags' website http://www.sixflags.com.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: 7 Parks Sold for $312M
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2007, 11:58:05 AM »
Take note of the new links in the left news bar.  Motley Fool and Thestreet.com are already declaring this a win.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »
I would agree that losing/selling  5 water parks isn't a bad thing. As for the 2 parks SFDL hasn't had a major ride installed since S:ros in 99 and Denver had the half pipe installed in 2004. 

I totally read that wrong sorry,  3 water parks and 4 amusement parks , see how much I knew about the other properties. Not a big loss to me !
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:27:00 PM by Bubba Z »

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »
So will the parks sold operate in 2007 or just shut down for good?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2007, 01:14:43 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_4992497

http://www.wben.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=06617

The part I don't like is
PARC will sell the parks to real estate investment trust CNL Income Properties Inc. and will lease them back from CNL.

But to answer your question (oddly enough since you clued me into the above articles lol) is that all obligations will be fullfilled for 2007. 

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2007, 02:03:13 PM »
So will the parks sold operate in 2007 or just shut down for good?
As I read it YES they will operate and the Parks that are sold Season passes still good at other Six Flags parks,   not sure if it's the other way around (if I can use my Great Adventure pass at the sold parks) ?
Yo

Offline ChuckR

• Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2007, 03:37:12 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aVAL1.kl3xN8

Six Flags to Sell 7 Parks for $312 Million to PARC (Update3)

By Josh Fineman

Jan. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Six Flags Inc., which is trying to reduce $2.2 billion of debt, plans to sell seven theme parks for $312 million to a company led by former amusement park executives. The stock had its biggest gain in two months.

The parks are: Six Flags Darien Lake in Buffalo, New York; Six Flags Elitch Gardens in Denver; Frontier City and the White Water Bay park in Oklahoma City; SplashTown in Houston; Waterworld USA in Concord, California; and Wild Waves and Enchanted Village in Seattle, the company said today in a statement. Attendance at the parks was 3.6 million in 2006.

The parks generated $30 million of cash flow in 2006 and sale proceeds will go to cutting company debt, New York-based company said. The sale by the second-biggest U.S. theme-park operator doesn't include Magic Mountain near Los Angeles, one of its biggest parks. Six Flags spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg wasn't immediately available for further comment.

``It just an outstanding deal,'' said David Miller, an analyst at Sanders Morris Harris Group Inc. in Los Angeles. ``With this deal of $312 million, Six Flags will now have $350 million in fresh cash available for debt reductions.'' Miller, who doesn't own any Six Flags shares, has a ``strong buy'' rating on them.

Former Six Flags Executive

PARC 7F-Operations Corp. of Jacksonville, Florida, an affiliate of PARC Management LLC, will buy the parks. PARC Management Chairman Michael Jenkins, a former vice president of Six Flags over Texas, was among a group of people who helped oil executive Angus Wynne found the theme-park brand in 1961.

PARC Management was formed by Jenkins, who has 40 years of leisure-industry experience and produced more than 200 Broadway musicals, and Randal Drew, who was an executive with Odgen Park Management. Odgen owned the Wet N' Wild and Raging Waters brands, Richard Jett, a PARC spokesman said in an interview.

PARC will simultaneously sell the parks to CNL Income Properties Inc., a Florida-based real estate investment trust that owns 52 leisure properties in the U.S. and Canada, and lease them from CNL.

The sale to PARC is expected to be completed in March, Six Flags said. It includes $275 million in cash and a note receivable for $37 million.

Shares of Six Flags gained 42 cents, or 7.7 percent, to $5.85 as of 12:39 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading, for the biggest increase since Nov. 3. It slumped 32 percent last year.

Six Flags, which ranks behind Walt Disney Co., has lost $884 million over the past seven years through 2005 amid falling attendance and more spending on new rides. Revenue likely fell 2 percent last year as attendance dropped 14 percent to 28 million customers, Chief Financial Officer Jeff Speed said last month.

CEO Moves

The purchase price equal 10.4 times earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, Miller said. Six Flags is selling for the same multiple that Blackstone Group LP paid for Legoland in early 2005.

Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, the company's largest investor, won a three-month battle with former chief executive officer Kieran Burke for control of Six Flags in 2005.

Six Flags CEO Mark Shapiro banned smoking, hired staff to improve the parks' appearance and boosted entertainment offerings with fireworks, shows and parades.

Shapiro also wants to increase revenue with corporate sponsorships, including deals with Home Depot Inc., H.J. Heinz Co. and Papa John's International Inc.

The company's third-quarter net income fell 16 percent to $164.7 million as sales slipped 1 percent to $540.7 million.

Credit-Default Swaps

The perceived risk of owning Six Flag's bonds fell today, according to traders who bet on the creditworthiness of companies in the credit-default swap market.

Credit-default swaps based on $10 million of Six Flags' bonds fell less than a percent today to $580,000 from $585,000 yesterday, according to data compiled by London-based CMA Datavision. Before today, the five-year contracts had risen 11 percent since Nov. 7. An increase in price indicates deterioration in the perception of credit quality; a decline suggests improvement.

Credit-default swaps are financial instruments based on bonds and loans that are used to speculate on a company's ability to repay debt. They were conceived to protect bondholders against default and pay the buyer face value in exchange for the underlying securities should the company fail to adhere to its debt agreements.

To contact the reporters on this story: Josh Fineman in New York at jfineman@bloomberg.net