Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: New Gravity Group woodie in Texas...  (Read 5658 times)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
New Gravity Group woodie in Texas...
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:44:13 PM »
http://amusementtoday.com/

Kemah Boardwalk building wooden coaster (DEC 7, 2006) The much-anticipated news is finally official. Amusement Today has confirmed that The Landry's Restaurant's-owned Kemah (Texas) Boardwalk is building a wooden coaster for the 2007 season.

The coaster will be located on a tight footprint next to the Saltgrass Steak House. Kemah plans for a late spring or early summer 2007 opening.

The contractor overseeing the complete project is Martin & Vleminckx Rides, LLC based in Haines City, Fla. The design of the ride was completed by Cincinnati, Ohio based-The Gravity Group. The yet to be named coaster will feature two, six-car trains (800 pph capacity) from Philadelphia Toboggan Coaster Co. The ride's safety system will be provided by Orlando's Entech. Bullock Smith & Partners in Knoxville, Tenn. provided Kemah with conceptual and other thematic drawings for the ride.

Concrete work for the ride's footings is underway and was contracted to Houston-based Bobcat Concrete. Erection of the ride's wooden structure by M&V is schedlued to begin next week.

The western-themed coaster will stand 96 feet tall, feature a first drop of 92 feet, reach speeds of 51 miles per hour and travel a track layout of 3,236. But the most impressive fact the coaster has is a result of its less than one-acre footprint that results in the most number of track crossovers ever designed into a wooden coaster. It will also feature several themed tunneled sections.

"The design team has developed a plan to give the Kemah Boardwalk a great wood coaster experience in a very tight footprint. The design incorporates countless crossovers, direction changes, and several tunnels. Tim Anderson, general manager at the Kemah Boardwalk told AT. "In addition, the coaster is being constructed within a few feet of Galveston Bay providing a great seaside view. I believe that this will be the coolest coaster on the coast and will be an exciting feature for our 3 million visitors per year.?

See the complete story in the Jan. issue of AT.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Re: New Gravity Group woodie in Texas...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:23:17 PM »
The coaster looks awesome,intense
1 Acre wow
All WOOD  ?
We need a GG Twister for Dorney
Yo

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 06:57:40 PM »
Why?  So Cedar Fair can brake it?

The Texas coaster looks great, but from what I have seen of Cedar Fair woodies, please...why not Great Adventure?  Cedar Fair does not maintain its wooden coasters very well.  Evidence?  Shivering Timbers, Villan, Ghost Rider, etc.

Offline CoasterPete

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:31:39 PM »
Is it me or does that look like a GCI design and not a Gravity Group design?  Nice to see this team also creating some twisted designs.  This coaster looks intense and awesome!

Pete
Florida's hidden secret.....the Dania Beach Hurricane!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 01:21:58 AM »
There's others who have said that.  I'm loving that design more and more every time I see it.  CI Cyclone made me a sucker for twisters.  Unfortunately I haven't been on a great one before or after that. Twister at Knoebels is good, but nowhere near the insanity that is the CI Cyclone.  This looks like good competition.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 10:56:27 AM »
Is it just me or does this thing look like it got its roots from the legendary Airplane Coaster?  http://www.coasterglobe.com/features/lostlegends-airplane/index.cfm

I have a feeling this will be a masterpiece.

Taken from Steve's website -
AIRPLANE COASTER

I have to give credit to the Airplane for creating a monster.

This classic ride stood at Rye Playland in Westchester County, NY from 1928 through 1957. It is generally considered the greatest wooden coaster ever built, and although it has been gone for a longer period of time than it existed, it is still thought of as the ONE ride that has never been topped. My mother rode this ride in 1951, was traumatized for life, and listening to her stories about her experience throughout my entire childhood no doubt created the fascination I've always had for these wondrous machines. Therefore, not only do I really want this ride back in action for the park's sake, I want it there to ride for myself, so I can fully realize the conjurings I had as a child listening to those terrifying stories. To me, this ride was a legend before I even realized just how much of a legend it was to everyone else. The park has the blueprints, and doesn't use the space the ride resided in for much of anything that can't be relocated, so let's do it and return this masterpiece to the audience that it deserves.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:58:45 AM by WadeJ »

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:13:18 AM »
Yes It does have that same type drop
BUT
The Kentucky rumbler was supposed to be a remake of the Rye Aeroplane but I rode it and It's more of a family coaster. I even have a Rye Aeroplane Tshirt from my early ACE days.
The original Aeroplane from what i read was intense.
If the Gravaity group is building this Texas coaster I would think it will be more intense.

We need a remake of the Harry Traver Cyclone  he he he  nurse and all   nope we will never see it.

The SFNE Cyclone was (the drop that is) a remake of the Traver cyclone but they reprofiled the drop so I never had a chance to ride it before then.

I think we need to wait till 2008 till we see any more coasters in this area.
I'm hoping a GG Woodie for Dorney they need one now that Hecules is dead. And a GG Twister would fit right in. Here me Cedar Fair
Yo

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 07:28:10 PM »
^ I'm with you on that. bring back the Crystal Beach Cyclone. ;D
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 08:53:50 PM »
This is The Bklyn Cyclone of our day and age, Similar ammount of space, similar layout, similar ideas!
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 10:29:49 PM »
Kind of looks like Ozark Wildcat in the beginning if you ask me. Looks to be a great coaster.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 10:40:43 PM »
The Ozark Wildcat is one great ride!  I actually prefer it to Thunderhead.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 11:38:13 PM »
The only thing I see a little boring is the rush after the drop. I would kind of like to see something like a Wildcat at HP but hey, if this thing is gonna kick butt, leave it as it is.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 03:54:50 PM »
GG twister? 8)

Sounds great to me!

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 05:52:46 PM »
Im loving this, but why cant we get one withing 2 hours of us  :-\

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 08:16:51 PM »
^Be patient, it could yet happen.
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 06:48:26 PM »
The New Coaster is SUppose to open in 2 weeks but may be pushed back due to bad weather.click below with Video

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5464948

7/09/07 - KEMAH, TX) - There's a new attraction on the Kemah Boardwalk. It's not even open yet, but the 'Boardwalk Bullet' is getting a lot of attention. The roller coaster promises to be bigger and better than anything we've seen in our area.
Also on ABC13.com:
Send news tips | RSS | ABC13 E-lert | Info mentioned on air | Search abc13.com
The Kemah Boardwalk is known as much for its rides and atmosphere as its restaurants, with a Ferris wheel and carousel, and the newest attraction -- theBoardwalk Bullet, which is nearly 100 feet tall.

"This is going to be one of the most exciting wooden roller coasters in the world," said Kemah Boardwalk Manager Tim Anderson. "It has actually more wooden roller coaster per square foot than any other wooden roller coaster that's ever been built."

Nearly nine stories tall, it's built on a relatively small plot of land designed to put the late Astroworld's Texas Cyclone to shame.

"It has more crossovers than any other wooden roller coaster in the world," said Anderson. "It is actually a little bit taller and a little bit longer as far as track length than the Texas Cyclone was."

That's the last big roller coaster to captivate the Houston area. And before the first car takes off there, people are already planning to ride the 'Bullet.'

"There's a whip factor. You get whipped around a lot. You get bounced a bit," said Kemah Boardwalk visitor Mike Hartley. "You get the front seat where you push it through and the back seat where you fly up...good stuff!"

He'll be on it. So will a couple of kids we ran into. But not their mother, Juanita Godfrey.

"I think it's the thrill of it," she said. "They like to be scared, the thrill of just falling. I'm scared of heights."

The 'Boardwalk Bullet' was supposed to open in about two weeks, but it may be pushed back because of all the bad weather we've had lately.
Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
Um, this might seriously suck for a few members on here...

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 09:55:47 PM »
^ Just a couple , but they will still get between 25-30 new credits which sucks for me.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 10:44:55 PM »
I'm already prepared with a back-up plan if this ride doesn't open. It does suck since the trip was planned around this coaster, but it's ok, there's always DING deals to Houston. We're still getting to SFOT, SFFT Sea World and possibly a couple of kiddie credits.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2007, 01:04:58 AM »
^ Haha, such credit whores

Hopefully it will open, if not, next time around go to an Astros game and that park, Minute Made Park is beautiful from the looks

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
This was probaly the MAIN reason for the trip. Sigh, well at least I get to ride Freeze!

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 08:38:37 PM »
I'm already prepared with a back-up plan if this ride doesn't open. It does suck since the trip was planned around this coaster, but it's ok, there's always DING deals to Houston. We're still getting to SFOT, SFFT Sea World and possibly a couple of kiddie credits.

Take me with you if it Dings!

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2007, 11:58:29 PM »
You can still come now if you want.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 01:32:24 AM »
Isn't everything bigger in texas?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 10:36:03 PM »
Rob CHuck Look at the awesome drop into the mess of wood http://tinyurl.com/27emkp
I wish it was open so we could get a review of The Gravity groups first Twister

Click here to see a onride simulation  http://asap.ap.org/data/interactives/_entertainment/roll/

www.acesouthcentral.org

this would look sweet at Dorney

« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 12:06:20 AM by pcman »
Yo