Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Ravine Flyer II- Gravity Group - Waldameer Park  (Read 12297 times)

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Re: Ravine Flyer II- Gravity Group - Waldameer Park
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 03:21:18 PM »
they have the Same night at Holiwood
not good

But this does look like a nice trip along with Kennywood
Yo

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »
There's like 3 or 4 events the weekend of Memorial Day... Bubba knows what they are, I just remember Waldameer standing out in my mind the most because I wanted to go to that.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »
Saturday, May 24 will be at Waldameer with an all-you-can-eat picnic dinner and free soft drinks all day, and evening ERT on Gravity Group's new and much-anticipated wooden coaster Ravine Flyer II and Steel Dragon, their spinning mouse. 

At Kennywood on Sunday, May 25 there will be morning ERT on the Jack Rabbit, an all-you-can-eat picnic lunch (with free refreshments one hour before and one hour after the picnic), and evening ERT on the Racer.  These two wooden coasters are among the best!

Monday, May 26 at Idlewild will feature morning ERT on the Ace Coaster Classic PTC/Herb Schmeck Rollo Coaster and Wild Mouse (which originated in Alton Towers in England) .  It's the 70th and 15th birthdays of these two fun coasters, so come help celebrate with either a continental breakfast or birthday cake and refreshments. 

Details and pricing will be on flyers at www.wnycc.org , available in January.  Check out the website for the link to Ravine Flyer II photos.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 06:38:43 PM »
Yep  Holiwood Nights

May 23-24, 2008, at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari (Santa Claus, IN).

this stinks since the Waldameer and Kennywood event looks good

following weekend 5-31-08
Coaster Celebration 
Six Flags Great Adventure

Week after that
CoasterMania
6-6-08

2 weeks later 6-21-08  - ACE Day at Hard Rock Park
6-21-08  - ACE Day at Ghost Town in the Sky

3 weeks Later Coastin' By The Ocean Moreys
July 12th 13th

I may have a House a stones throw away from the Hunts pier if anyone wants to go in
still working on it
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:46:33 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »
http://picasaweb.google.com/Waldameer/RavineFlyerIIRollerCoaster/photo#5120881156924501458

This picture is awesome. I didn't realize how close the coaster was to the water. The water is beautiful, it looks like the water in the Caribbean.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 12:01:49 AM »
Hmmm, If erie is in NY, technically I can drive there with somebody in the car....Hmmmm :P
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Yo

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »
Yo

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Yo

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 07:49:07 PM »
sweet pics

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 02:03:29 PM »

Updates up to 3-21-07 

http://picasaweb.google.com/Waldameer/RavineFlyerIIRollerCoaster

Love the 90 degree going down the hill

Yo

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 03:09:23 PM »
I dunno about that 90 degree bank. I think it will kill the backseat airtime going down that last big drop. I wish they'd level out the track before dropping. As is, it's too GCI for me, but I hope I'm wrong. One final killer drop down the hillside with ejector air in the backseat would give this ride a great finale.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »
Very true Matt but I still think it will be a great finale, that bunny hill going into the 90 degree turn looks sweet, and the turn should pull some strong G's... it looks very similar to the 3rd 90 degree on that other woodie out in Indiana. The speed that it will have coming out of it should be awesome.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 06:27:44 PM »
What you are saying Matt is very true, about how there probably won't be insane ejector on that drop because of the 90 degree bank, but I also think it will be a fun part of the ride. The fact that the 90 degree bank turns into an 80 foot drop or so just sounds really awesome.
I can't wait to ride this in August!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 08:10:05 PM »
It's a little give and take, but I am an air-ho and amateur coaster designer, and the main difference between GCI's and CCI/TGG's for me is how GCIs blend their banking into their drops which eliminates the uplift forces, where as CCIs/TGGs usually transition their banking before the drops to provide strong pops of air.

I think it's going to be a fantastic coaster; I just live for backseat airtime going down big drops more than anything else in coastrerdom. And THAT is why I love Shivering Timbers so much with its seven large, straight drops.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
Backseat airtime is always a plus, but the front seat quick slams are sometimes just as good, if not better.. for example.. Phoenix's "toaster" finale...

I'm also a big airtime fan, like Matt, but I think for me, I really enjoy the speed/intensity that certain woodies provide. Sure we both LOVE Voyage, J2, Avalance among others, but the main difference with me is that a coaster needs to have a really high maintained speed throughout the ride with lots of quick direction changes and a "kick your ass" effect more than just killer airtime.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:38:49 PM by Frissbeking »

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 09:48:16 PM »
And then there are those of us who like violence (not roughness) and sudden and quick changes of direction, strong laterals and rapid shifts in speed.

The Georgia Cyclone/Tremors would be among my favorite wooden coasters...with Avalanche (but NOT Hades) coming close behind, along with J2, Tsunami, Puma or Merry Meow or whatever it is called now....(assuming they ain't tamed it too much).  Count in Rolling Thunder,  yes Rolling Thunder, too.

The Riverside Cyclone, pre the taming,  was among my very favorite rides....

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »

Hmmm

I remember reading about the Riverside Cyclone it was a big deal when it was built.
I was dieing to ride it since it was compared to the Harry Traver Cyclone with it first drop and such.

But when I rode it 2 years ago the drop was raised and had more trim then ____.
it a dam shame they cut its B_alls off  :'(

so the best advice I can give is ride any new Wooden coaster as soon as it comes out before they trim them ( Tsunami , Beast etc etc. )
Yo

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 10:22:18 PM »
Thank you, oh wise one :)

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 10:31:31 PM »
Riverside Cyclone was in my top ten in 2001. It was amazing, but last year nowhere near as good. I love Georgia Cyclone. I have never been so terrified by ejector airtime as on a certain drop of that ride (don't want to spoil it for Bubba), the first time I rode it (and in the last row of course). Tremors is great too. I don't get Hades. It's fun, but leaves much to be desired...way too slow over the top of the two tall hills after the lift. And Texas Giant can be marvelous, but unfortunately it wasn't up to par when Rob and Chuck rode it with me last summer. And I love The Boss, which most enthusiasts hate.

But again, I much prefer getting kicked out of the back seat when dropping than getting popped up over the tops of bunny hills up front. The sense of free falling is what I live for.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:36:48 PM by AV Matt »

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »
I totally understand, though Shivering Timbers leaves me cold...as it has since my first ride on it the first day it was open.....I was more the Rampage fan...though it hasn't aged well, to put it mildly.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 10:39:33 PM »
Nice pink jump suit :)

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2008, 10:44:41 PM »
I totally understand, though Shivering Timbers leaves me cold...as it has since my first ride on it the first day it was open.....I was more the Rampage fan...though it hasn't aged well, to put it mildly.

Wow, I was absolutely blown away by Timbers when it was brand new. The airtime at noon was unreal. I can see how some would be bored of all the bunny hops on the way back, but that out run has always been amazing for me and the finale helix just sucks you down into your seat and then the last car would always pop up on its upstop wheels when the train slammed into the brakes. And then the car would drop back down onto the track when the brakes were released. Delicious!

I couldn't wait to ride Rampage as that was the big argument the summer of '98 (Timbers vs. Rampage), and when I finally did at RRR '06, I was very disappointed. It's condition was slowing it down and killing a lot of the forces it had previously. Still fun, but not "A List" material for me.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2008, 10:46:56 PM »
Nice pink jump suit :)

It was totally the new black at the time!

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 10:47:56 PM »
That's what makes all this so interesting.  Just a couple of years before Shivering Timbers opened, the Wolverine Wildcat was, in my humble opinion, a far superior coaster to its near twin, Phoenix at Knoebel's.  By the time Shivering Timbers debuted, the Wolverine Wildcat was a painful mess.

Rampage is not even a shadow of its former self.  One reason I love Rolling Thunder so much is it still teaches me and reminds me of what John Allen's Racer was like in Cincinnati, before it was reprofiled, braked and the trains modified into what they are today.