Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Knoebels PTR  (Read 2420 times)

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
Knoebels PTR
« on: July 02, 2007, 10:35:49 PM »
So today I went to Knoebels with GAdv.com Member DrunkMunkey3458. (Jeff)

He arrived at my house at 7:30 and we left around 8:30. It took about 2.5 hours to get there from my house...its a quite accessible location though. (Right off Rte. 80)

So we get there and we know this isn't going to be like GAdv...

1. Parking is free
2. Parking is on grass
3. No entry fee to the park
4. There's a campground right across the street

By that amount of cars...you'd expect the place to be overflowing with people...but it really wasn't bad at all.

Well we go in, get our pay one price wristband for $38 and go. First thing we see is the still under construction Flying Turns. Wow. This thing is just...beautiful. Simply put. I can't wait to come back later in the summer and ride it.

So after wondering around...we find:

Phoenix!

Lets just say the layout is the most deceptive layout in the world. Jeff and I were beyond skeptical of this "airtime" everyone was raving about since it had maybe 2 visible small airtime hills.

Knoebels has the fastest dispatches ever with each being MAYBE 30 seconds. We get 3rd row and...OH YES! Buzz bars with no seat belts. CHA CHING.

Leaving the station you go into a pitch black tunnel...pretty cool and loud. Then you climb the 78' lift rather slowly. First drop was....ok. It wasn't great, wasn't bad. Not too rough either. Then you go up the first turnaround and YES! Ejector already! Flying into the restraint! After a turn, go down into 2 airtime hills of the best floater ever (Is there anything better than floating between a seat and a restraint for 3 good seconds? No.) then up into a similar turnaround where again...good ejector. After the turn comes the double up, double down. Holy ----. Ejector on both of the ups and insane ejector on the whole way down. After another turnaround you come back for the last 3 hills which are just all INSANE ejector.

10/10

My personal #3.

We were just...stunned after this ride and we went for Fandango (Moser Sidewinder) and it was VERY good. Much better than and inside frisbee. Great floater on every single swing. They also ran very long cycles which helped.

After fandango we went for

Twister

The queue for this is pretty awesome. You basically walk through the supports of the ride. Its individual You exit the station and make a giant turn up into the first lift. The first lift probably takes you 70 ft, then you make an s turn and turn back into another lift. After that lift you make a turn at the top and drop. The drop was pretty good...one of the highlights of the ride. After a couple turnarounds it had a pretty cool double helix around the station. (Jeff despised that part) It was quite rough if you weren't ready for the transitions of it...but I thought it was pretty good.

7/10

After we went on Twister we saw the infamous Knoebels Flyers. These things are pretty sweet...even to watch. Kids getting horizontal and hitting nearby trees. It was definitely a cool flat.

After flyers we headed over to

High Speed Thrill coaster

to get our credit. In line we talked to operator who asked us if we wanted and job and told us how much he hated his job like 4 times.

So to start the ride...you basically launch because the chain is just insane. After peaking the 18' lift...you drop and get some nice air. Then into the 3 consecutive CRAZY airtime hills. BACK BREAKING EJECTOR on every hill. This was NO kiddie ride. It actually made 2 kids cry on the ride before us and they stopped the ride. It makes 3 circuits through and finally stops.

Wow.

for a kiddie ride? 10/10 but for the realness...7/10.

After HSTC we got lunch. 4.75 for a decent cheesburger and a large Pepsi? Oh...I'm starting to love this place.

After lunch we went to the car to get my camera so we could make our trip on the Scenic Skyway. The Scenic Skyway is basically just a slow ski lift that goes 360' vertical out into the mountains opposite the park. Its 14 minutes long and pretty cool. Some of the pics I snagged:

After the Scenic Skyway we went on a flat extravaganza. We hit Downdraft, 1001 Nacht, PowerSurge and Merry Mixer.

Go here to find out what each of the rides were

After that we went to Phoenix again and rode back row this time. Not nearly as good as 3rd row...so we went again 3rd row. Still amazing.

After Phoenix we went for Fandango then Twister again. Fandango was still  awesome...Twister was a little better this time...for me.

We went on Phoenix 2 more times and Fandango again. I was starting to really slow down at this time from...I guess the airtime and being dehydrated.

We decided to get dinner...I had a hot dog and a slice of pizza. Both were..eh. After...I still wasn't really up to staying much longer so we got back on Rte. 80 and went home.

Knoebels is one park thats indescribable. Maybe its the random homes situated about the park...or the fact that Twister is across a road from the rest of the park. But really...its something every enthusiast should experience.

I can't wait to get back when Flying Turns opens and hopefully my camera won't be broken so I can get good pictures of Flying Turns and the mess that is Twister.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Re: Knoebels PTR
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:47:47 PM »
Great Photo TR Matt! I love Knoebols and I need to get there this year to get on Pheonix and the Flyers!

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:46:58 AM »
Sweet TR man, Knoebels is one of my favorite parks as I see it as a getaway from the Rat Race in Staten Island!

How far along are they with the Flying Turns?
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:46:08 AM »
Nice trip report Matt. Did you get to ride any other rides you didn't mention like the bumper cars, the looper or anything like that?

You should try to go up there for 2 days during PPP weekend. Saturday of that weekend is always pretty busy, but its all good people and waits are never too long. Sunday, though, is dead and you ca just sit on any ride all day basically. I'm hoping I can get the time off from work to do that again this year!

Oh, and Robb... I wouldn't count on Flying Turns opening this year. This way you won't be dissapointed if it doesn't happen.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 06:45:40 AM »
Hey Matt, glad you had a great time. I read that you were going and thought about popping over myself. PPP is a must.

Knoebels has the fastest dispatches ever with each being MAYBE 30 seconds...OH YES! Buzz bars with no seat belts. CHA CHING.

HELLO!
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:40:43 AM »
...Oh, and Robb... I wouldn't count on Flying Turns opening this year. This way you won't be dissapointed if it doesn't happen.

Wow, whats up with it taking so long to open, I was looking foward to it....
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »
Nice trip report Matt. Did you get to ride any other rides you didn't mention like the bumper cars, the looper or anything like that?

You should try to go up there for 2 days during PPP weekend. Saturday of that weekend is always pretty busy, but its all good people and waits are never too long. Sunday, though, is dead and you ca just sit on any ride all day basically. I'm hoping I can get the time off from work to do that again this year!

Thats exactly what I'm planning on doing actually. Hopefully FT will be done it time too.

And no...sadly my camera started freaking out and everything was purple on the screen. So thats all I got.

...Oh, and Robb... I wouldn't count on Flying Turns opening this year. This way you won't be dissapointed if it doesn't happen.

Wow, whats up with it taking so long to open, I was looking foward to it....

I think it will open personally...it looks like its got only a few spots missing of track but no chain or visible station. Maybe by the fall?

Hey Matt, glad you had a great time. I read that you were going and thought about popping over myself. PPP is a must.

Knoebels has the fastest dispatches ever with each being MAYBE 30 seconds...OH YES! Buzz bars with no seat belts. CHA CHING.

HELLO!

You guys got seat belts! Its an unfair advantage they have!

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 12:05:54 PM »
PPP is great. They decorate the coasters and you can marathon the Haunted House. What they do with High Speed Thrill Coaster is probably outlawed! Just pass on the pizza.

There are a few reasons why the Knoebels employees can get a train out faster Matt, but you hit the nail on the head. Phoenix has single-sided locking lap bars and the lap bars won't stick as much as they do on Rolling Thunder. Rolling Thunder has double-sided lap bars which makes it harder and take longer to get out of the station. The Phoenix attendants are allowed to continue checking the train while the operator continues re-locking the lap bars. The Rolling Thunder attendants must go back to the front of the train and recheck the seatbelts and lap bars when the train must be relocked to get a sticking lap bar down. It's why you'll usually see one attendant up at the front at Rolling Thunder waiting for the other to finish putting down the lap bars. If there weren't any seatbelts, the lap bars would be brought down faster. The Phoenix attendants are allowed to cross through the tracks when they need to get to the other side and the Rolling Thunder attendants must ask the guests to step out to the side in order to cross through an empty row. There are no Flash Passes at Knoebels, everybody boards together and that's why everybody is happy there. Rolling Thunder is at Six Flags in NJ (I can't wait to move out) and Knoebels has a church directory in the center of the park.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:17:29 PM by darkridedan »
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 12:16:50 PM »
Haha I loved seeing the attendants chilling in the track while the train was making its course. It was quite weird.

I also loved no airgates which probably helped their dispatches too.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 10:15:43 AM »
Sweet PTR , I'll see you all at PPP for my Birthday again!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »
OK this is the Year I got to go to PPP
I never went during this event and will try hard to make it.
Yo