Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: PTR Insane Weekend Trip to VA and MD 7/21-22  (Read 1824 times)

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
PTR Insane Weekend Trip to VA and MD 7/21-22
« on: July 23, 2007, 02:38:35 PM »
Since I'm trying to get my coaster count to 700 by the end of the year, we decided to take a crazy trip to Maryland and Virginia to ride some coasters that were new since our last visit.

First stop on Saturday: Six Flags America

Even though there wasn't any new coasters added since our last visit, we still decided to make a quick stop.  The employees at the parking booths and front gate were friendly, but the ones working the rides were slow and lifeless.  The only rides closed were Tower of Doom which was expected and Two Face which, from what we've heard, has been down a while now.  There were maintenance workers working in the station at Two Face though so hopefully progress is being made.  Most coasters were running 2 trains except for Joker's Jinx.  That was disappointing since that was one we wanted to ride, but had to pass due to the line.

Ride Count
Superman: Ride of Steel-1
Wild One-1
Roar-1

Second stop on Saturday: Ocean City, MD

If anyone wants to go to Ocean City, MD, do yourself a favor and don't go on a Saturday.  The traffic was absolute HELL!  We thought about turning around and forgetting it, but we did stick it out.  It took us 1 hr 20 min to go 8 miles.  That same 8 mile stretch going away from Ocean City took us 16 minutes.

Our first stop was at Trimper's to ride the Wacky Worm.

Awesome Haunted House where you ride in coffin-shaped cars:

Toboggan and Drop Tower:

Jolly Roger Pier:

Our next stop in Ocean City was Jolly Roger to ride the Racing coaster and Wacky Worm.

Ride Count
Trimper's Wacky Worm-1
Jolly Roger Wacky Worm-1
Jolly Roger Racing coaster-1

Third stop on Saturday: Motorworld in Virginia Beach, VA

We had a bit of trouble getting on the coaster here since the operator didn't speak much English and didn't want to let us on.  We weren't giving up since I knew for a fact that other adults had ridden earlier this year.  I would normally contact a park before trying to ride a kiddie coaster, but since we knew others who had ridden, I didn't bother this time.  We eventually found a supervisor who said the only restriction was that no more than 4 adults could ride at a time so we got our ride on Motorworld Express.

Ride Count
Motorworld Express-1

Fourth stop on Saturday: Go Karts Plus in Williamsburg, VA

We just made a quick stop here to ride the Python Pit coaster.

Ride Count
Python Pit-1

First stop on Sunday: Busch Gardens Europe

We had hoped to make it here Saturday night but, thanks to Ocean City and it's "lovely" traffic, we weren't able to make it.  Again, this was only a quick stop to ride Griffon.  Thanks to the single rider line, we were able to both get a front row and second row ride in a short amount of time.  It was a fun ride, but we both prefer Oblivion and Shiekra over Griffon.

Ride Count
Griffon-2

Second stop on Sunday: Kings Dominion

Since we were passing by and have season passes, we made another quick stop at Kings Dominion.  They only ride we went on was Grizzly which is one of our favorite wooden coasters.

Ride Count
Grizzly-3

Third stop on Sunday: Planet Fun in Greenbelt, MD

This used to be a Jeepers location, but is now called Planet Fun.  The former Python Pit roller coaster was transformed into the Haunted Roller Coaster.

Ride Count
Haunted Roller Coaster-1

Fourth stop on Sunday: Adventure Park USA in New Market, MD

We stopped here to ride the Wildcat coaster which used to be at Williams Grove.  They did an excellent job of refurbishing the track and the trains.  Back when we rode it at Williams Grove, I was praying that we would make it back to the station in one piece.  Everything at Adventure Park seemed to be in immaculate condition.  Although it's a bit out of the way, they seemed to be doing a good business.

Ride Count
Wildcat-1

Speaking of Williams Grove, we passed by there on the way home to see the Cyclone sitting dormant.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
Re: PTR Insane Weekend Trip to VA and MD 7/21-22
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 02:55:20 PM »
Nice trip report Sue!  I haven't been able to ride Two Face since 2000. What's the Haunted Coaster about?
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 04:16:11 PM »
The Haunted Coaster isn't too exciting.  It's just a coaster in a dark room.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 09:01:54 PM »
So are you counting the Wildcat twice since I'm assuming you rode it at WG ?

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 09:29:36 PM »
Nice Photo TR! I need to get to Ocean City, MD to get me some credits!

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 01:21:51 AM »
700... that's too many! I am having trouble figuring out how to get up to 400!

Looks like you had quite a trip! The only credit in OC, MD I need is the Racing Coaster...

How far away was Adventure Park from OC or SFA??? I'd like to give that park a try, but don't want to just drive down for that one park.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:22:21 AM »
So are you counting the Wildcat twice since I'm assuming you rode it at WG ?

Yes, I do count relocated coasters each time.

Nice Photo TR! I need to get to Ocean City, MD to get me some credits!

Whatever you do, don't go on a Saturday!!!  :)

How far away was Adventure Park from OC or SFA??? I'd like to give that park a try, but don't want to just drive down for that one park.

We didn't go there from OC or SFA, but according to Mapquest, it's about an hour from SFA.  That's not bad.  Plus, you could also hit Planet Fun if you need that one.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 12:07:08 PM »
Holy crap!

That was like a coaster trip on ADD. I was there this weekend too. Only I only did 1 park a day. lol.

I was working on trying to get my 90th coaster and you're on 700!!! That's INSANE.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 12:09:04 PM by SilverBullet »

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 02:08:54 PM »
If you look at the picture of the toboggan real fast,  it looks like the frog is the train on it.