Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Coney Island Cyclone wedding  (Read 866 times)

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
Coney Island Cyclone wedding
« on: August 18, 2007, 09:16:52 PM »
We just had our friend, Rev. Cliff, over for a barbeque and he was telling us about a wedding he just performed this Thursday on the Coney Island Cyclone. Here's the article and pictures:

Wild ride just the start!

Couple to get hitched on Coney Isle Cyclone

BY JOTHAM SEDERSTROM
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, August 16th 2007, 4:00 AM

Talk about taking the plunge.

Two Brooklyn lovebirds are getting hitched today at the summit of the Cyclone, the historic Coney Island coaster with as many twists and turns as a modern-day marriage.

Robert Meyer, 39 and Teri Muroff, 38, will be married on the coaster's 85-foot-high peak by the Rev. Cliff Herring, a card-carrying member of the American Coaster Enthusiasts.

"Going up the first ascent, Cliff is going to say the vows, and then we're going to hit the first drop and scream 'I do!'" said Muroff, a painters' union employee who planned the wild ride with Meyer when they got engaged in 2004.

Nearly 100 friends and family members will join the thrill-seeking couple on the platform of the 80-year-old wooden coaster before actually riding it to the top.

Meyer and Muroff plan to read individualized vows during the one-minute, 50-second ride, but said they would take as many rides as it takes to accommodate each of their guests.

"We were concerned that we wanted to have something that wasn't too tacky," admitted Meyer, a welder who said he and Muroff initially investigated a wedding on the beach. "But to us, tacky is chandeliers and mirrors in wedding halls."

The couple met in 1988 while studying at Pratt Institute in Clinton Hill, but they didn't begin dating until years later, after both had graduated.

Unlike their flamboyant wedding plans, Meyer's proposal was less than inspirational: He asked for Muroff's hand after a Coney Island birthday bash, but didn't have a ring to give.

"I said, 'Are you asking me hypothetically?'" joked Muroff, who estimated she and Meyer have ridden the Cyclone together more than 100 times. "But he was being serious."

Gerry Mendetto, who has operated the city-landmarked Cyclone for 32 years, estimated that as many as 20 couples have tied the knot on the coaster since he was hired.

He said the added attention isn't always ideal.

"It's a pain in the cheeks, but I allow it because it's something nice," said Mendetto, who said unforeseen difficulties usually arise.

"The bride usually gets a little grease on her dress, but they never seem to mind."jsederstrom@nydailynews.com

Pictures: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/galleries/roller_coaster_wedding/roller_coaster_wedding.html?c=0

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters
Re: Coney Island Cyclone wedding
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:25:59 PM »
I was asked to go to that by my uncle who's an editor for a Queens newspaper, I said no! It seemed cool though!

-Dainan "Gerry Mendido is friends of the family" Rafferty

Coaster Count: 255