Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Rolling Thunder operation  (Read 2422 times)

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
Rolling Thunder operation
« on: October 13, 2007, 10:21:16 AM »
Since we haven't been to the park in a while, I was just wondering how RT has been operating lately.  I'm sure this late in the season it's probably one side only?  If that's the case, are they rotating sides or is it just one specific side that's operating?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Rolling Thunder operation
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »
Its still operating 2 when they have staffing so I'd expect 2 side ops when the park is packed on Fright Fest evenings but early in the day will likely only see left side.  Interestingly enough, I've read a few reports of the left side being "almost" smooth towards the front of the train.   But that could just be from it running so slow lol

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »
When we were there  Oct. 6th it was paked and they only had one side operation . 2 trains on one side . VERY SLOW took almost over an hour to get on if you waited in line.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 04:56:55 PM »
Hey!  One of us prefers the left side.  Which, I know, about drives nearly everyone else nuts! :)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 06:28:44 PM »
Sadly operations will always be slow on this ride due to the belts.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 11:42:58 PM »
RT is still operating? :O
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 02:00:21 AM »
^^ I'm OK with the left !

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 09:42:58 AM »
Sadly operations will always be slow on this ride due to the belts.

That's so true.  Our RT rides went way down ever since they installed seatbelts.  I wish they were able to just do visual checks on them instead of pulling on them.  I'm sure it's a NJ rule that they have to physically check them since I think they also do that on Morey's Great White.  Not sure about J2 since we haven't ridden in years.  Parks like Dorney and Lake Compounce just do visual checks.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 01:08:29 PM »
Sue, RT was running two-train operation on one side last night. The Coaster 1 (right side) queue was full at 6 but it was empty by 8. I don't know if it emptied out due to a breakdown earlier but it was still running with two trains. Unfortunatley I had to leave before I got to Rolling Thunder but it looked like it was running well.

The park must have been understaffed for the day. The Director of Operations had pointed us to our parking space, the Head of Security was assiting him and one of the General Managers was taking tickets at the gate. There were many managers and supervisors working in the park last night.

Even the best of the El Toro crew get worn out from RT's cycle of operation:

1. The operator and the unload attendant manually slows down the incoming train based on weight and weather conditions to avoid an overshoot. The crew must remain alert because an overshot train takes longer to load since the oncoming guests must be directed to their row by the attendants before the airgates open. (Attendants who don't direct guests to their proper row will have to find empty rows for guests who loose their row to a guest who jumps into their row.)
2. The attendants must assist guests with sticking lap bars on every train. The operator must be alert to the attendants who are giving the operator the unlock signal.
3. The attendants open seat belts for guests who can't/won't do it themselves.
4. The unload attendant drops the chain and assists Flash Pass guests to their assigned rows and avoids blocking the exit for 24/48 riders who are coming off the train(s).
5. The attendants and the operator remind the guests to fasten their seatbelts and the attendants must assist the guests with fastening the seatbelts or opening belts that were closed from the previous cycle.
6. The attendants visually check that all guests on the train are wearing seatbelts. This must be done before the train is physically checked. (On Rolling Thunder, the lapbars in all of the cars of the train are unlocked and locked together by one button. Therefore, the entire train must be physically rechecked by the attendants after the train had to be unlocked to get a guest to fasten his seatbelt.) 
7. The attendants close any buzz bars that are in the open position and they continue using the lock signal until the bars are down. The operator must remain attentive to look for any open lapbars and to watch for the attendants' signals. The attendants must avoid hitting the guests in the head when putting down the lap bars. Guests often lean foward into the lapbar when attempting to close their seat belt. It will usually require two or three attempts to close one sticking lapbar. Some lap bars require a manual release to close a lap bar. This usually  takes a new employee a minute or more to close. 
8. The attendants physically check that the seat belts remain closed and that lap bars remain locked while making sure that the guests aren't stowing stuffed prizes and large bags in the train. The operator visually checks that the attendants are checking every row and that the attendants remain simultaneous with each other.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 09:29:27 AM by darkridedan »
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 03:05:41 PM »
The Director of Operations had pointed us to our parking space

Have they started assigning parking spaces?

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »
It was very crowded Sue. I parked in the rear of the old Season Pass parking lot near where the cars from the Safari used to exit. The overflow lot was also filling up fast at about 5:45.
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 06:49:33 PM »
Nice explanation of the RT issue Dan ;)   Would new PTC's help at all with the belt/bar checks?  On a positive note, it is nice to see that it isn't beyond upper management to get dirty in the park; or parking lot in this case, and do the grunt work.

It sucks going when it gets like that but I'm really thankful to see the crowds return.  They needed the attendance boost after a lackluster July and August. 

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »
I'm not sure if new PTCs would help. I know if the seat belts were removed, the ride cycles would be cut in half. Newer PTCs would have ratcheting lap bars which might cut down on the amount of sticking lap bars. I've seen ratcheting lapbars being opened manually before.

I just don't understand why Six Flags would fix something that isn't broke when the ride needs new brakes, steel and wood. It doesn't make sense to me to have a ride with an hourly capacity of 1950 guests per hour without a line on a crazy night. I don't know if guests have grown tired of being beat up in the axle seats, have grown tired of the long dispatches or just fear for their life. It was and can be a very gentle family ride.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 09:24:31 AM by darkridedan »
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 08:24:11 PM »
Yes sue
on J2 they do check the seat belts
they grab and tighten like on el toro