Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Hard Rock Park/Myrtle Beach  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
Hard Rock Park/Myrtle Beach
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:08:17 AM »
I am in my hotel room right now in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina! The weather is really nice here. Not hot, but comfortable. Well I haven't seen the park during the day yet, but I passed it on the way to the hotel and Led Zeppelin is all lit up. I am planning on going on the tour tomorrow so I will have plenty of pictures for you all.  :)

Btw, I didnt come down here to visit a closed amusement park  :P - I am visiting my grandma and aunt for Easter

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
Re: Hard Rock Park/Myrtle Beach
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:25:03 AM »
I used to go down there 2 times a year when I was a little younger, before the Hurricane was even built. I was going to the Pavillion and Family Kingdom for quite some time... we'd go there for Christmas every year (no open parks, not much to do except golf) and that was always a nice getaway. We owned a condo in Merridean Plaza right on the beach.

Where are you staying? I always liked The Palms and Ocean Park... some of those places have some decent sized bowling alleys in them too.
If you get bored and want to try some of the mini golf... Mount Atlanticus was really nice. It's right across from where the Pavillion used to be, away from the beach. Do you think you would be able to get any pics of the old Pavillion site as well? I've been curious as to how that looks these days... thanks and have a blast!!! I love MB!

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:34:12 AM »
I used to go down there 2 times a year when I was a little younger, before the Hurricane was even built. I was going to the Pavillion and Family Kingdom for quite some time... we'd go there for Christmas every year (no open parks, not much to do except golf) and that was always a nice getaway. We owned a condo in Merridean Plaza right on the beach.

Where are you staying? I always liked The Palms and Ocean Park... some of those places have some decent sized bowling alleys in them too.
If you get bored and want to try some of the mini golf... Mount Atlanticus was really nice. It's right across from where the Pavillion used to be, away from the beach. Do you think you would be able to get any pics of the old Pavillion site as well? I've been curious as to how that looks these days... thanks and have a blast!!! I love MB!

I am not staying by the beach, but at a hotel literally right next to HRP, at Staybridge Suites. From the parking lot I can see the top of Led Zeppelin. I could basically walk to the park. =)

Yea sure no problem. I will take a lot of pictures of both the new attractions and the old/gone amusement areas.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:57:55 AM »
Thanks a lot buddy!!

How long are you staying down there?? If you have time, try to talk your family into eating a place called "Dick's Last Resort" It's in North Myrlte Beach near House of Blues... that place is a riot, the food is decent, but the service is something the write home about ;) Trust me, you'll love it, but your elders might not :)

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:04:09 AM »
Thanks a lot buddy!!

How long are you staying down there?? If you have time, try to talk your family into eating a place called "Dick's Last Resort" It's in North Myrlte Beach near House of Blues... that place is a riot, the food is decent, but the service is something the write home about ;) Trust me, you'll love it, but your elders might not :)

That's funny that you mentionted that because I am also down here to watch my sister play softball (her college team is in a tournament down here) and my sister and her team went there the other night. (My sister and her team got down here Saturday) My mom was telling me about that place. I will be here until Saturday.

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 11:51:21 PM »
Hey everyone. Sorry I didn't get any pictures up yesturday. When I got back to the hotel room I was shot and passed out. Anyway, i am going to start off with pictures of what everyone is waiting to ride, Led Zeppelin. These are all pictures of led Zeppelin I took when I was on the Hard Hat Tour. Tomorrow I am going to take a walk on that road right next to the coaster and get more close up shots and different angles. Enjoy!

Here is the logo at the entrance.

Here I am next to the entrance, and a construction worker in the background

the station is really neat looking

If you can make out the station through the trees, it looks like a big space shuttle

A look from the entrance

The entrance is right near the MCBR

The second vertical loop and the first drop

more layout

The first four inversions riders will "rock" through

One of my favorite pictures

The sexy overbanked turn

The last inversion

I love banked turns

The Cloud 9 gift shop which houses all Led Zeppelin souvenirs

The gift shop was open for us. I already got my Led Zeppelin t-shirt and keychain =)

Here is a final picture of led Zeppelin looking through the palm trees.

Stay tuned for A LOT more pictures.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 12:10:33 AM »
Nice pictures!

The station looks really interesting to me... I didn't realize how much theme was going into this park. I'm actually getting a little excited about the place.

I know Spirit flies to MB for less than $100 from Atlantic City... hmmm... Day trip Bubba???

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 12:18:41 AM »
I flew down here on Spirit, and will be on the way home. I left from LaGuardia though.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 12:20:27 AM »
LaGuardia is out of the way... AC Int'l is about 20 minutes from my house

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 12:38:21 AM »
Yea I live in northern NJ, about 30 min from NYC, so the AC airport would be about 1 and a half hours for me. LaGuardia is about 45 min from my house.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 12:40:23 AM »
Did you see the rest of the coasters?? I'm anxious to actually see MAX RPM in person... the "lift" is interesting and I still haven't seen an entire layout or it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:01:40 AM by Frissbeking »

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 12:52:39 AM »
Yea I did. I am working on that part of the update now. I didnt get close pics of Maz RPM because the tour didnt take us to that area of the park and I only got a shot of it from across the lake. When I walk around the outside of the park tomorrow I will try and get more pics of that coaster.

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 10:26:39 AM »
To start of, here are two pictures from the back of the hotel I am staying at. It is around the corner from the park.

On the short trip around the corner, I stopped in a random parking lot to get a decent shot of Eagles Life In The Fast Lane (The name is kind of long for a coaster, don?t you think?)

I thought the entrance booths looked cool so I took a snapshot of it

A picture from the parking lot

The ticket booths and entrance gates

Here I am at the entrance

The entrance gates.
It was free to walk into the beginning of the park to see some of the stores near the entrance, but to check out the construction zone you had to pay for the hard hat tour.

We went over to buy our hard hats for the tour

Me ready for the tour

Some pictures of the entrance area

Right before the midway opens up, you walk under this archway where there is a picture painted on the ceiling

Next we entered the construction zone and got our first glimpse of the lake with the guitar

Behind us was the entrance area midway

These two workers were installing fountains that will squirt up water from the ground.

The guitar with Slippery When Wet in the background

Led Zeppelin and Maximum RPM across the lake

A closer view of Maximum RPM

Shake, Rattle, and Roller Coaster

Our tour guide talking about the different areas of the park. She said that there are not a lot of rides/coasters because Hard Rock Park is going to focus more on the entertainment and is going to be a park based on the shows rather than the rides.

Here is a pre-existing bleacher where shows, including a diving show will take place

Here are the diving boards for the show

One area of the park is called cool country

Here is a really cool and nicely themed ride in Cool Country

There is a lot of detail and themeing

Check out the tire marks on the ground near the ride

Here is an empty lot where another ride will be. I think they said it will be a swing ride.

Here is a pre-existing ice rink which will feature an ice show

In front of the building is a talking cow that sprays water out of its utters and nose

There was also a tire swing

Eagles Life in the Fast Lane has a really cool looking gift shop/entrance building

Here I am in front of the sign

The only track I could see when in the park

A glimpse of the trains

The closest picture I could get of Shake, Rattle, and Roller Coaster

There were a lot of these themed refreshment booths around the park

The water jungle gym

A worker spray painting an archway

Rock and roll Heaven

Rock and Roll Heaven is a memorial rock garden where each rock and roll star that passed away has a dedicated brick paver with their name on it

This guitar is at the entrance to Led Zeppelin. It is really neat because when you move your hand under one of the water fountains, the guitar plays different notes, kind of like if you are strumming guitar strings, but you are strumming water strings.

Another sign/archway

At the end of the tour we looked at the Led Zeppelin model

I want this in my bedroom!

Ground breaking
\

As you leave the park you will look up and read this

More pictures are on their way. Enjoy