Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: New Video Camera  (Read 6119 times)

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
New Video Camera
« on: December 31, 2007, 12:30:09 AM »
For the past two seasons I have been using my digital camera to capture video clips of coasters. Now that I am more serious about making coaster videos, I am planning to buy a video camera before the 2008 season. I am thinking about buying one with a built in hard drive and a very good zoom (preferably 32x optical zoom and up). I'm guessing that the hard drive camera is best for me since I will be editing any videos I take on the computer, which is why I don't believe I need a camera where I can play the disc on a dvd player right after I film something (correct me if you think I am wrong). If possible without getting too expensive, I would also like one that captures good quality stills. My price limit is at most $700. If anyone has any ideas or recomendations on a good video camera, or even just a good quality brand, it would be very appreciated.

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
Re: New Video Camera
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »
Sony definitely seems like the best brand to look at.  I can tell you that I've had very bad luck with video cameras from both JVC and Canon in the past.  Both Sony's that I've had are still in working condition where the JVC and Canon's are trash.  I know friends of mine who also swear by Sony.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:14:40 AM »
I had a 8mm Sony for about 10 years (1989 - 1999) then it just died
I recently got a JVC mini DV NEW for $169 on www.WOOT.com
if you concerned that the camcorder may not make 3-4 years try this site www.squaretrade.com for a warranty they have the best service and less then 10% of the cost of the item and they refund in FULL less then 7 days.they also offer a warranty on used items you already have in your home I offer it on my ebay auctions.
Also eBay look for NEW or used and combine a warranty www.squaretrade.com

if you just dumping the video to your PC yes I would go with the Harddrive camcorders (one less step to transfer)
for less then $700 you should be able to find a great one

try looking at reviews like www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS253&q=camcorder+reviews&btnG=Search

ALSO TRY THIS DEAL SITES they are updated everyday
I garuntee you WILL find a good deal if you just be patient
Look at these below website everyday for consumer electronics deals,  I do
on these sites search camcorder

www.techbargains.com   www.gotapex.com   http://dealnews.com  http://bensbargains.net

www.fatwallet.com/c/18/       www.woot.com    www.thingfling.com

www.newegg.com and www.amazon.com always have great reviews as does circuit city http://tinyurl.com/27bvmk

below find the Sunday sales circular on the web for all the major stores

www.salescircular.com/nj.shtml     www.salescircular.com/nj/video/camdgp.shtml

example

Sony DCR-SR42 30GB Hard Dri
ve Camcorder
(40x Opt, 2000x Dig, 2.7" LCD - MPN: DCRSR42)
Price Range: $424.00 - $499.99 from 17 Sellers
Description: Stop stopping. None of us like to switch tapes in the middle of a shoot, or waste time rewinding and capturing. That s why the DCR-SR42 Handycam camcorder contains a 30GB built-in hard disk drive (HDD) storage and allows you to capture up t.... Read More

reviews

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/camcorders/m/32256240

http://tinyurl.com/27bvmk

Yo

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 12:58:20 AM »
I was recently talking to someone about video cameras and he recommended a mini-dv camcorder. He said that the hard drive camera has a better chance of getting ruined if the it is dropped the wrong way (although any electronic device can if dropped the wrong way) because it will screw up the hard drive and make it unable to record on. Any suggestions/ideas?

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »
I've also heard that (Hard drive and Cd ) weren't the best choices and  that mini-dv is still the best choice.  Although you can record way more on to hard drive, plus you won't have to worry about finding all you're mini tapes  from you're trip. IDK,  I've had my Sony for a while now , but I hardly use it for some reason.   Go shop, ask lots of questions and I'm sure you can get a great camera under $700.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »
this one is now down to $409 shipped no tax

Sony DCR-SR42 30GB Hard Drive Camcorder
(40x Opt, 2000x Dig, 2.7" LCD - MPN: DCRSR42)

Description: Stop stopping. None of us like to switch tapes in the middle of a shoot, or waste time rewinding and capturing. That s why the DCR-SR42 Handycam camcorder contains a 30GB built-in hard disk drive (HDD) storage and allows you to capture up t.... Read More

www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SNVDCRSR42
Yo

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
I think I'm going with the Panasonic SDR-H60.
-60GB Hard Drive
-50x optical/2500x digital zoom
-advanced optical image stabilization
-2.7" widescreen LCD monitor

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8732678&type=product&id=1201307508087

What do you guys think?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:26:28 PM »
read read read

just the few minutes i looked the reviews not to good

example:

Pros: small, easy to operate
Cons: Poor Quality Image, only connects with their software

Pros: 60GB Hard Drive
Cons: Everything

"Under no circumstance should anyone buy this product. It absolutely sucks. Sure the features sound great and it seems to be pretty comperable to other HDD camcorders, even the price seems just right, but the picture quality is absolutely horrible. Besides being very grainy, there is no option to take video or even stills in low lighting situations. Even with good lighting the image quality was awful. I don't care what anyone else says regarding this Panasonic camera, it is not comperable to Sony. Which is what we purchased after returning this one. Thanks to BestBuy for having awesome customer service."

-- ---------

Pros: small, easy to operate
Cons: Poor Quality Image, only connects with their software

"After my Sony 8mm camcorder, purchased in 2000, was damaged, we decided to 'upgrade' to the HDD. To say we are disappointed is an understatement. The quality of the image was so grainy, especially indoors, that I actually checked to make sure their wasn't a protective seal on the lens. I spent HOURS playing with every setting on this camera, from the multiple manual settings, to the full auto feature. When filming a nearby lake, the automatic white balance actually changed the color of the water purple! Indoors, I tried to film my son's 1st grade play. Everytime someone walked across the stage, there was a noticable blur!

In terms of image quality, it performed about as well as can be expected for a unit with these specifications; offering reasonable colour and contrast when shooting in optimum (read: sunny) conditions. As expected, image quality took a nosedive in low-light conditions; a problem that the rudimentary night mode failed to alleviate. (The slower shutter speed it employs rendered our footage blurry, indistinct and effectively worthless.)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:32:35 PM by PcMan »
Yo

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:39:01 PM »
Yea Tom I read all of those. I don't find it very helpful because the same exact camera, just a 40gb memory and 42x zoom, got amazing reviews. read some of them here
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8673278&type=product&id=1197074853731
I went to the store and got a lot of information about what brands would be good for me and what type of camera would be best. I thought this one fit me well. Not based on the reviews on the site, what do you think? lol

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 08:51:21 AM »
I take a lot of those reviews with a grain of salt.  Esp. When there are only a few.  Many times they just had higher expectations than what it is.  With that said, it is more a question if it meets your needs.  Seems to me that lo light levels (coaster footage at night?) Could be grainy.  Otherwise, not bad bang for the buck.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »
Yes
sometimes reviews are off.
And sometimes they just don't know what there are talking about.

I seen it for $495 on Amazon

remember if you want an extended warranty www.squaretrade.com has the best out there
$59 for 3 years for your cam.

I'm not one for extended warranties since most are a waste of money . Most Electronic items fail in the first year.
but I did have 2 Camcorders fail 3 months in and another that lasted 4 years maybe from bringing them on coasters  ;)
Yo

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 12:46:34 AM »
I finally made up my mind and ordered the Panasonic MiniDV PV-GS90. I went with the mini-dv model because it is said to have the best quality. I will let you know how it is after I get it.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 12:47:49 AM »
Congrats! Looks like a nice camera. 42x optical zoom ain't bad either.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 12:48:50 AM »
thanks!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 12:56:38 AM »
Cool and looked like you saved some $  ;)
post some vids when you get them on some high quality sites.
www.smugmug.com now supports HD video. and they are great for pictures
I have almost 5000 pictures on my smugmug site in full resolution and they are rated best for prints.

I have to start using my camcorder more instead of my Digital camera

Yo

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 10:34:25 AM »
Tom, what kind of camcorder do you have?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:23 PM »
Nothing fancy.I was tired of spending big bucks on cameras that didn't last.
I have a JVC500 i got new from Woot.com about a year ago for around $150
you can get them now for less then $100 on ebay and pick up a 3 year warranty for around $20

www.amazon.com/Canon-ZR500-MiniDV-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B000DZH4CO
Just a Low end cheapy with great reviews

I owned a few other Sonys years ago like a
8mm I paid over $650 for around 1989
i died about 10 years later   sold it on ebay for $35
Also Hi8mm sony

then I bought a few newer sonys they are the ones with the infrared nightshot where you could see through things (i think these models or the Hi8). Sony corrected that problem.
I do still have the camera hi8 and the Sony

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:41:08 PM by PcMan »
Yo

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 10:21:37 PM »
I got my camera today! Maybe if I go to Clementon Monday I can use it =)