Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: PTR Six Flags over Texas 6/15/08  (Read 1902 times)

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
PTR Six Flags over Texas 6/15/08
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:22:28 PM »
We spent this day from 10 am open to 10 pm close at Six Flags over Texas.  Our first stop was the Canyon Blaster kiddie coaster.  Adults normally can't ride this one without a child, but we met up with our PR contact from the park who was nice enough to allow us to ride.

From there, it went downhill.  Tony Hawk's Big Spin--closed!  Mr. Freeze--closed!  Yup, we're definitely at a Six Flags park!

Shortly after we saw Mr. Freeze running, we got in line.  Since it's indoors and we're not familiar with the queue, we didn't know how long it was.  We waited 40 minutes hardly moving at all and were nowhere close to getting on so we bailed without riding.  We were able to see at that point that they were only using one side of the station which meant we would've had at least 40 minutes more of waiting if we had stayed.

We normally won't pay the rip-off prices for a Flash Pass, but I wanted to ride Mr. Freeze and getting a Flash Pass was the only way it was going to happen.  So, we bit the bullet and bought a regular Flash Pass.  Our friends who we were with didn't want to join us so unfortunately we had to keep splitting up with them throughout the day when our ride times came up.

It was miserably hot and humid out that day so they were doing a brisk business on their refill souvenir bottles.  Every drink stand we passed had people 20 deep waiting for their refills.  Unlike SFGAd where they have a ride op and a security guard at the ride entrances who won't allow you past with loose articles, SFOT only has an op at the entrances and they don't stop people from entering the line with loose articles.  We saw many annoyed people with loose articles in the station(especially the drink bottles) who either had to not ride or wound up throwing them out.

New for 2008--Tony Hawk's Big Spin:

Tracy, Drake, and me:

One of the best coasters in the park, Shockwave:

One of the worst wooden coasters we've ever ridden, Texas Giant:

Titan is an awesome ride and was my 300th coaster back in 2001:

La Vibora:

Superman, Batman, and Mr. Freeze:

Brad and Drake with all the goodies they won playing the games:

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: PTR Six Flags over Texas 6/15/08
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:54:10 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, Freeze was comletely dead when I was there :(

Their indoor coaster (like Skull Mountain) was awesome and Shockwave is probably one of my all time favorites.  Such a shame about Texas Giant.  That was in my top ten back in 2002.  The place was dead so I think I rerode over 20 times and loved every second of it.  So I'm guessing things have changed lol.

Its suprising and disturbing to hear how things have changed though.  This park ranked right up there in the realm of Disney quality service when I was there a few years ago.  Now it sounds like Great Adventure has far surpassed them?

Looking forward to more Sue :D

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 01:38:01 AM »
I miss Freeze...

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 03:38:40 AM »
SFOT looks like a fun park to visit. I would have imagined Texas Giant being a fairly decent coaster, maybe Mean Steak like.

Is Shockwave as good as everybody hypes it up to be?
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:16:40 AM »
That's a shame you ran into such horrible operations there. When we went last July, it was HOT, and BUSY but we made the best of it, also getting a Flash Pass. Shockwave was/is amazing, Mr Freeze owns, and TG was teh suck.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 06:30:30 AM »
It is a shame that SFOT wasn't up to par on the day of our visit because we were very impressed with it back in 2001.

Texas Giant wasn't that bad on our list visit, but it certainly is now.  Having just ridden Mean Streak earlier this month, I can easily say that it's FAR better than Texas Giant.

For some reason, Shockwave didn't seem as good as I remembered it.  However, it is still an awesome ride and I hope they keep it at the park for many years to come.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
La Vibora looks so fun! SFoT looks really nice with those themed buildings and flats amongst the coasters. I wonder how they pull it all off??
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER