Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Kentucky Kingdom Tries To Ride Out Slump  (Read 1943 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Kentucky Kingdom Tries To Ride Out Slump
« on: May 03, 2009, 10:18:07 AM »
Also a lot of Six Flags background info in this article, along with the effects of the Superman: Tower of Power accident:

...Halfway through opening day, Carm Carpenter of Grand Rapids, Mich., took a break from riding roller coasters with her two kids near one of the food stands. The 47-year-old said she drove to Louisville, passing the larger Kings Island amusement park in Ohio on the way, partly because Kentucky Kingdom's prices were lower. She wasn't worried about the pending bankruptcy and said the family's visit was a success.

"It doesn't scare me, because I know that the credit thing is all funky right now," Carpenter said of the company's financial struggles. "If they're still open, they're going to treat people the same."

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20090503/BUSINESS/90502047/1003/Ky.+Kingdom+tries+to+ride+out+slump+

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
Re: Kentucky Kingdom Tries To Ride Out Slump
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »
Isn't six flags going bankrupt? :'(

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »
If it does (Still deciding) it would be Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, not Chapter 7 bankruptcy, which is what Circuit City just did.  Big difference.  Not that Ch. 11 is pleasant, but it will allow the parks to operate as normal and pay their vendors while restructuring their debts.  Of course I'm over-simplifying at the moment, but don't fear the parks shutting down or anything like that.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 07:57:47 PM »
What chapter of bankruptcy a bankrupt ends up in is not solely within the discretion of the bankrupt.  Creditors can and often do prevail when attempting to force a liquidation.  Many a bankrupt has filed in one chapter, only to end up in another.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »
Something tells me there is some sort or poison pill arrangement somewhere that we don't know about or they would have worked this out already :(  but on a positive note, something really horrible and drastic would have to occur for the parks to close.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »
Hey, if we go under, maybe Cedar Fair will buy us and rename is just, Great Adventure again.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 05:45:57 PM »
Cedar Fair will do well to keep from ending up in the same financial mess as Six Flags.  Many of the moves they have made in the past four years are oddly reminiscent of Gary Story's Six Flags.  Even down to Diamondback going in at Kings Island as El Toro did at Great Adventure, in a year when there was very little capital investment in other parks.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 11:07:52 PM »
I'll be one of those who say I love the idea of Diamondback at KI. They have a great mine train, indoor launch coaster, flyer, and kiddie woodie...and Racer is fun too, but they also have lots of brutal and boring coasters. (It's an opinion.) I believed on my visit that they needed a big fun coaster and from a coaster enthusiast stand point, they needed a B&M. It's the only big park I've ever been to that did not have a B&M and the park felt like someting big was missing in the era of the modern coaster parks.
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 02:21:31 AM »
Besides a B&M,  it was missing an ending to Adventure express and a yogi bear poster. IMHO.  I'm still missing a couple of credits there and I'm dying to go back now thanks to a little splash effect.