Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: My move to Orlando/Cypress Gardens Closing Weekend updated.  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
My move to Orlando/Cypress Gardens Closing Weekend updated.
« on: November 22, 2008, 11:06:22 AM »
I'll put more effort into a TR when I get home tonight, but we bid farewell to Cypress Gardens last weekend. Bubba came down on Friday and a few other Florida friends met up with me on Sunday to enjoy the last rides on Starliner. We ended up getting the final 2 laps sent out to general public, the employees had their way with the ride after we left. What a hell of a coaster, though. Insane airtime on 3 or 4 hills... and just a nice relaxing woodie the rest of the way.

A friend of mine, Gary, took a video of the final 2 laps and posted on Youtube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGZ812vtp08&eurl=http://funfactoriesii.proboards19.com/index.cgi?board=news&action=display&thread=8823&page=5

Enjoy, and I'll have pictures later on.

Updated:

So as most of you know, I've been living in Orlando for about a month now, and I'm loving almost every second of it... Between working, trying to move everything in, and taking advantage of where I live every time I have a day off, I've been pretty much non stop since I got down here. First I'll start off with a little bit about where I'm living. The complex is called The Arbors at Lee Vista, located off of Semoran Blvd.

I'm literally 6 minutes to the terminals at Orlando Int'l Airport (MCO) and it isn't as bad as it sounds. The planes that do actually fly over my apartment don't make too much of a racket. The apartment is a 2 bedroom and 2 bathroom 1096 square foot place with a screened in porch overlooking the lake in center of the complex.

I don't really need to give you a play  by play on what the apartment has and doesn't have, so I'll just show some before and after pictures from before I got here as compared to where I am now.

You can view the rest of the apartment pics here...
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568834476udoFpZ
^ That's a direct link to photo's with furniture.

Since I've been down here, I've visited Sea World with Dan for his first time there... Disney World Parks 2 times, Downtown Disney 3 times, Disney's Boardwalk once, Busch Gardens Tampa once and Cypress Gardens twice. Disney is offering something called "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party" through the months of November and December. Basically what it is, the Magic Kingdom closes at 7 p.m. and who ever signed up for this event get the entire MK to themselves from 7 to midnight. For $55 bucks, its well worth it. Free Hot Chocolate, Apple Juice, Apple Slices and Christmas cookies.... plus ERT... it's like heaven. :)

When Dan and I went to Seaworld, we had a good time for only being there for about 2 hours. Living 13 minutes from the front gate certainly makes it easy to make an impromptu visit to the park. Manta is looking better and better each day. At first I wasn't too impressed or excited about it, but so far, it looks as if B&M and Busch have made a "good" flying coaster layout. My only complaint now is that it blocks off the entire front left section of the park, forcing you to take an extremely long walk to Kraken. We first hopped on JTA to get Dan his credit, and we walked on to the front row. It wasn't hot out, but its was around 65, so riding a water ride was bearable. We loved it, then went over to Kraken to see a 15-20 minute wait and opted for the back row. Dan found a new favorite floorless coaster, and I rode one that I've been on numerous times. If you know Dan, you know he's not the biggest fan of floorless coasters... so to see him smiling coming off of Kraken, I knew we had struck gold. We meandered over to the kiddie coaster, stopping at the Penguins and Wild Arctic. It was a really fun 2 hours to say the least...

I had plans to get to Cypress Gardens before I even moved down here. I'd heard nothing but good things about Starliner and was itching to ride their "TechnoJump" again since it was the best one I'd been on to date. Once I heard they were closing, I knew I had to get there sooner. Bubba had flown down for the day on Friday of their closing weekend and once I picked him up at the airport around 9, we jetted over to Winter Haven to get him some credits. First stop was the Starliner, since we heard it'd been closed for about 2 weeks and noticed people waiting in line, we didn't want to miss it. We had to wait about 20 minutes before they opened it and while waiting I noticed a couple of people at the top of the stairs that I know. My buddy Mark had asked us if we were going to Disney's Xmas party, which at the time, I had no idea what it was. Many many thanks to him for telling us about it because I've never gotten that much riding done in so little time at any Disney park...

Anyway, we are still at Cypress... Starliner was really kick ass. Not every hill had monster airtime, but the 3 or 4 that did make the ride an 8 out of 10 for me.

There is one hill in particular that stands out to me. It's after the 2nd "large" drop and before the turnaround. It seriously doesn't even look like it fits there, but it does. It was later named the "Ouch Hill" :)

The ride was so much fun and it's a shame we wont be going on it again anytime soon.

The rest of the trip at Cypress that day consisted of snaggin credits. We got them all and went off to Disney. Bubba needed a couple of credits, Everest being one of them, so we went to Animal Kingdom first and rode Everest and Dinosaur in less than an hour.

MGM - Hollywood Studios was our next stop and we waited about  45 minutes for Toy Story Midway Mania, which in my opinion, is EASILY the best interactive dark ride ever. ToT was also a main reason for going to MGM and that didn't disappoint as usual, especially since it was a walk-on.

We stopped at Epcot last before going to the "party" and rode Test Track and tried to ride Mission Space, but gave up on MS. Test Track was awesome as usual. Off to the MK. First stop when we got there was The new Laugh Floor from Monsters INC which is really fun and cute. Space Mountain was ridden about 8 or 9 times through the night and we basically just hopped around the park riding rides we usually don't get the opportunity to ride. 11:30 rolled around and we were pretty tired and Bubba had a 7 am flight home and I had work at 8 am so we drove back to the apartment and crashed. T'was a fun filled day and I can't wait for another Disney Party on the 7th when my friends from CT come down!

Sunday had then rolled around and I went to Cypress again with Gator and eventually met up with Gary. This was their official closing day, and I really think they reached their highest attendance figure ever. I don't really need to explain much so I'll let the pictures do talking...

^Forgot to mention we ran into these 2 as well... :)

^Snap 'em!!!

I also forgot to mention that their "TechnoJump" was gone. They replaced it with a picnic pavilion.  >:(

We ended the day with the 2 final laps given to the GP, possibly ever, on StarLiner. Gary posted his video already so no need to add that to here. It was a fun/sad day... the park will be missed.

To see the rest of the Cypress Closign Weekend pics, click this...
http://family.webshots.com/album/568853486rtMNFB

So my last "section" of this report is my solo visit to BGA. It took me about an hour or so to get out there, parked in the preferred lot and made my way in the park. It was a really fun day with about 12 rides on Gwazi (both sides) total for the day, not all in a row, 9 on Kumba, in a row, and 1 Sheikra ride. I tried to get on Montu, waited 4-6 trains for the back and then someone spewed all over the train so I just went back over to Gwazi for a bit. The park was pretty as always and the rides were all running great. I even like Sheikra a little now that I've ridden the back row in the "big boy" seat. Here's some pictures from the day...

^I'll get you next time...

^Still there...

Best GCI ever.

^That's what I look like when I'm at a park by myself

^My favorite B&M!  :D :D :D

Ghost Train.

And that concludes my "park escapades" and "moving in" process. The other night I went to House of Blues with a friend, Matt, for "Hospitality/Club night" and that was insane to say the least... many more of those to come ;)

I hope you enjoyed reading/viewing my life as of recent.

http://community.webshots.com/user/frissbeking
^That's the rest of my stuff incase you wanted to check it out.

Thanks!

Rob.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:05:49 PM by Frissbeking »

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
Re: Cypress Gardens Closing Weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »
Very nice. Great song and perfect for the video.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
Re: My move to Orlando/Cypress Gardens Closing Weekend updated.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
Bump, with updated original post.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:26:56 PM »
Major bumpage!

You won't have to worry about the face too often. :P

If one of the FunSpots expands with a woodie...or Silver Springs, Starliner looks like something special that I would love.

Great TRs sir.
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 05:36:51 PM »
How could you not go on Montu?

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 05:45:55 PM »
I thought I explained it fairly well...

...I went to Montu around 2:30 or 3 ish, had to leave by 5... I was in line, waiting, then they had to wait about 30 minutes to clean up the mass amounts of vomit. I will be going back, it's not like a once a year trip, so I wasn't too worried about it, Chuck.  ;D

So stop  :'(
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:08:14 PM by Frissbeking »

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »
 :love-smiley-086[1]: :love-smiley-086[1]: :love-smiley-086[1]: :love-smiley-086[1]: :love-smiley-086[1]: :love-smiley-086[1]: :love-smiley-086[1]: :lazy[1]: :angry2[1]: :angry2[1]: :alcoholic[1]: :afro:

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 09:13:01 PM »
Thanks for posting this Rob. As jealous as it made me, I really enjoyed reading everything and looking at the pictures. Great job!

It's too bad that Cypress Gardens is closed. The coasters there look like pure fun rides. I watched your friends' Starliner video and couldn't stop thinking of how much this coaster reminds me of the Phoenix. Both of the coasters' layouts are nothing alike, but the fact that such a simple layout can produce such a great coaster is what seems to be a similarity between them.

As for Busch Gardens, that park looks gorgeous. The Gwazi station has a really cool look to it. I really need to get there soon. How did you take that Sheikra ghost train picture btw?

Great trip reports Rob and thanks for doing them. Don't be surprised if I end up coming down to visit this winter   ;)

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »
Pleas do visit.. Thanks for the positive feedback, unlike Chuck.

The Ghost train thing... I didn't do anything different. It was kinda dark out so things were coming out blurry as it was. I just set my camera on a railing, and waited for a train to drop, and took the picture as it was passing by.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 09:52:33 PM »
Great PTR Rob.  I was so pissed when I called Bubba from Applebees to find out where he just was lol

Just so you know, those extra charge parties can be hit or miss.  We've been to both the Halloween and Christmas parties and sometimes it's more crowded than a regular day.  It also really pisses off the folks that paid full price only to have the park close at 5 but oh well.  Yes, they can be like ERT though :).

When you are at BGA, keep an eye out for a mechanic named Ray.  Just tell him I said hi.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 08:45:35 AM »
Sullllllllllllllltannnnnnnnns   sssssssssssssssssssweeeeeeeets . mmmmm

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
It must be so nice to have that many parks in your back yard!
At least now you can get the Florida Resident discounts.
What is your season pass count up to now?

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 06:16:53 PM »
Right now I've only got a Busch Platinum Pass that's good until March of 2010. I'm saving some $$ before I go ahead and buy any others.