Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Fright Fest. Ugh.  (Read 3525 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Fright Fest. Ugh.
« on: October 05, 2008, 12:55:31 AM »
I posted a big rant over at GAInsider, so I don't want to just copy/paste or retype it here, so if you want to read it all check it out here. This isn't trying to advertise the site, I just didn't want to spam the huge thing here :D

But basically, ugh, what happened this year?? It was an extreme disappointment, everything but Dead Man's Party and somewhat dolphins and tigers. HUGE crowds, pay-for-trails, no ghouls wandering around, a boring Hypnosteria with a different host.. I really didn't enjoy myself tonight. The atmosphere was different then previous years, and it just wasn't really exciting to be there. I hope it's just me and some other people had fun. But I'm kinda doubting it :/ is this a sign of things to come? I hope not.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 12:57:44 AM by jglonek »

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
Re: Fright Fest. Ugh.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 12:59:27 PM »
This is the first time I have ever said this, but I agree with you.

It's going downhill. They really need to call Cedar Fair or Universal and get some tips because its not turning out so well for them.

Maybe Time Warner should take over the parks again...

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
we were at FF as well last night . I have to say I HATE FF . every year I always say how scared i am and that I didn't really want to go . I just don't like being scared. Well that has all changed and now I am Dissapointed in FF.

Well last night I was even dissapointed in the scare factor there . This is a BIG dissapointment for everyone. I have to say I was floored that the terror trails were $5 more each. for a family of 5 that is $50 more .  But the BEST line of the day was on the sign in front of one Terror trail . Terror trails are not recommed for childern under the age of 12 but all childern under the age of 2 are FREE ... :o.. i thought it was so funny I couldn't help myself from laughing .  :D My hubby and one daughter went through the lake view cemertary and there were maybe 5 ghouls that was it not too bad . NO ghouls by the fountain and NO chainsaw guy this year. There were maybe 3 or 4 by the boneyard butcher area and they were the best of the bunch, really going after people and getting us pretty good one even got me and it was pretty funny ,  the clowns were more into taking photos then anything else.

My one horror  :o of the night was seeing our friend the SPIDER OF DOOM on the sign for MEDUSA.. :o.. What is that all about??? I know almost every ride this thing has been on has bit the dust. Batman and Robin , The water effect ride , choas and I believe it mad apperances on Viper and enterprise ( spin meiser) as well as free fall. What may this mean I hope it means NOTHING and they had NO where else to put it .

We knew it was going to be packed but the fact that ET was down and superman was down didn't help either . Lines were huge except GASM that was walk on . It was nice to walk on that . We did the superstion ride where Fly me to the moon was . It was pretty good but it would be better in 3D. We saw the freak show by the psyco circus entry way that was pretty good . I did see part of the spin the wheel show but we left to see the 7:45 show of Dead mans party . Same people every year but now becoming the best part of FF.

we are dissapointed and now wonder if going back to FF is worth it or should we take a trip  to Dorney for a day ?  We are off to Hershey at the end of the month .

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »
Dorney park is so many times better than the showing that I was previewed to at GADV last night.  Just a terrible experience all around.  We left at 8 because we were just tired of fighting crowds, and were not shelling out any money for haunted trails that are far from worth it. 

Dorney's october shindig is usually not crowded and its just all around a more fun place to be during the last month of the season.

Oh also, your not allowed to get a hand-stamp after 8pm.  is this new or had i never seen it before
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 05:45:52 PM by chilled182 »
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 07:05:11 PM »
Oh also, your not allowed to get a hand-stamp after 8pm.  is this new or had i never seen it before

Oh yea! I forgot about that fun part of it too. No that's new.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 11:04:43 PM »
Coastermom, that spider could mean one more year without paint for Medusa :(

It is disheartening to see how everybody was disappointed. I HATE Crowds and thus why I shy away from FrightFest. Dorney, with the addition of Voodoo this year, may very well be worth going to instead of GA

The funny thing is...Both are the same ammount of time from my house :D
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 12:25:21 AM »

Oh yea! I forgot about that fun part of it too. No that's new.
Last year it was no re-entry after 9:00 PM, this year is 8:00 PM.

The spider of doom probably means nothing. I bet they put it there so they can come on these sites and watch everyone talk about it.

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »
no comment. (<-- click)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 04:41:02 PM by jglonek »

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06:58 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uFDqlIh4Q1c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uFDqlIh4Q1c</a> <-- No Comment

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »
The editing could have been tighter when she starts running.

I just notice it because I took some classes on editing for TV studios :P

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 09:50:54 PM »
Med, Between all of the fan sites, im sure Angel and PR are laughing quite hard at the speculation behind the spider of doom!
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 06:35:46 PM »
The editing could have been tighter when she starts running.

I just notice it because I took some classes on editing for TV studios :P

And the gain on the running clips could be lowered or normalized. As well as keep the music playing in the background when the running clip is being filmed. As well as not so much bobbing of the camera and less panning.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 10:07:25 AM »
I really didn't think Fright Fest was all that Ugh this year.
(Maybe it was because the crowd was large but not outrageous.)

The Demented Forest was really well done..I thought it was worth the $5.
Lots of scare actors and much better than any trail from last year.

Escape from the Asylum not so much.  Save your $5 for some DRUUUGGS. LOL
They tried something new and it just doesn't work.
Although the video they show you while waiting to enter the trail is quite entertaining.
Who is that guy that reminds me so much of Chris Farley?  He is great.

The surprise highlight of the night was Voyage to Voodoo Island show!
I was really surprised how well produced this show was.
They tried to introduce their new seal last night!  He was a little crowd shy.

Some of the things you used to see as props around the park for free in previous are now in the areas that charge a fee.
They should leave the big troll at the front of the fountain.  Nobody has time to watch the troll cycle through performance  when walking through the trail.  Put it where it will be seen.   
Also take the prop wheel chair out into the park not in the trail.  It just doesn't work in a trail.

Bone Butcher Territory was a little embarrassing about 4 actors in an area that used to be prime scare territory.  Oh well.

I also think a $10 charge for a wristband that gets you in to the trails unlimited would be a much better option. 

Ther was a smoke bank on the turnaround of El Toro yesterday evening.
I don't know if they did it on purpose but it made the ride unique for the Fright Fest season.
Call it the X2 treatment to El Toro!

All in all there was plenty to do and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »
Interesting that you didn't like Asylum.  It's been getting loads of guest compliments so far.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 12:30:40 AM »
I wish I had tried it on Friday night since it was a walk-on... tonight (Saturday) the entire queue was filled with overflow filled.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 10:49:53 AM »
  Sunday sighting .... Spider of DOOM has been moved to the northen star arena , side area on the grass heading toward Medusa...    :D

Also have to say it was packed all day but there seemed to be more ghouls around then last week . We did our once a year Flash pass thing and had a pretty good time. The dead mans party/ awaking at 6 is a NIGHTMARE too many people and not enough crowd control. People pushing and shoving as security tells everyone to move back . There was no where for us to go and little kids in strollers near by . it could have been very bad had there been a kid hurt or trampled by the masses of people . they need to get out those ropes from the glow in the park parade and use them .

Offline redlafrance

• Balin's Jungleland
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 07:51:34 AM »
We were there also Sunday night and it was chaos for the awakening.  People were stepping on our stroller.  Fought our way out of that and saw a later Dead Man's Party.  Not sure I like the song changes.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 03:37:03 PM »
The only thing that changed was the opening and they did it last year. They really need to go back to Bring Me To Life...

Offline redlafrance

• Balin's Jungleland
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »
I guess all the years are blurring together ::)  When did they get rid of Bad to the Bone?

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 10:12:15 AM »
The only thing that changed was the opening and they did it last year. They really need to go back to Bring Me To Life...

Yeah. Bring Me To Life needs to be the first song again.

They did make other 'minor' changes - there used to be a line in the song No One Lives Forever about "your darling doggy". It's gone. Probably freaked the kids out :D

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 03:55:45 PM »
I saw my favorite Hypnosteria yet last week and here's a clip from the shake your booty contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0yTahp4yqM
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER