Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Kennywood  (Read 13606 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Re: Kennywood
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
I was very sad when they converted Steel Phantom...sad they hadn't done it earlier...no Arrow looping coaster should have gone as fast as that thing did, and the loops HURT and badly.  Not every time, but all too often.  Very inconsistent coaster...one time a particular seat was head bang city, the next time it might not touch you.

I'm about six hours from Kennywood, and not a second have I spent grieving that Steel Phantom is gone.  Quite the contrary...and I rode Steel Phantom the first day it was open.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
IMO Steel Phantom was kinda like all big arrow loopers. It was kind of fun, but kinda hurt too. I rode it in its opening year then again in '98. It had a trim going into the first inversion and was pretty much like GASM after that IMO.

I was not sad one iota to hear the news of the loops being ripped out. I remember thinking all the way back in 1991 (when it opened) that it would be such a better ride without all of the loops. I never dreamed it would become such an airtime monster though with the added wicked fast bunny hops in place of the inversions. An yes it is that short. ;)  The ride is very fast paced and hits the brakes at a good click. IMO they could have dragged it out a bit longer, but you wouldn't want to too much or it wouldn't maintain the crazy speed through to the end.

I believe the nylon wheels on steel coasters produce a greater friction loss compared to metal wheels on wood coasters, thus a steel coaster can't have as long of a track as a wood coaster with the same height (potential energy).

I live about 4.5 hours from Kennywood. It is about my third favoritest park and wish I could go more often. After all these years, Thunderbolt is still one of my favorite woodies.

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 01:49:38 AM »
good video of Sky Rocket in action. They also have good pov videos of the ride. Looks like a lot of fun and a great addition to Kennywood.
http://www.youtube.com/user/wwwCOASTERFORCEcom

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 06:14:10 PM »
I'm considering going to kennywood for the first time this fall during PFN's. I'd be going on friday the 15 which I've heard is less busy than the saturdays. Anyone know much about the fright nights?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2010, 01:58:40 AM »
It will be packed, but you can still get lots of riding in. If you want to ride Exterminator, do it as soon as the ride opens. Phantom ALWAYS opens with one train operation and after the line builds up to about 30 minutes+, they will add the second train so you can catch that first thing as well if Exterminator isn't open yet, or wait an hour or two until the second train is on.

The haunts get super long lines, which help keep the main ride lines down. It's a great atmosphere to visit the park in. The only real drawback is that the rides in the kiddieland area will be closed (No Li'll Phantom Credit if you care) and the super awesome classic Auto Race may not be open, not to mention the great water rides they have there.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »
The fact it's only open for 6 hrs kind of makes me nervous. I'm not a big credit guy. Actually I like to leave a credit or two on the table every park I go to for an excuse to go back. Some examples would be Blackbeards, Rollersoaker, Howler, Woodstock Express, Kingda Ka (not by choice), you get the idea...

I don't really do haunt stuff either so if they keep down the coaster lines thats cool with me. The only ride I really have an itch to ride at kennywood is the turtle.

The fact that it will be dark for just about the entire 6 hrs is what really entices me. Might be cold by then though.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2010, 11:19:08 AM »
I forget for sure, but I seem to think the Turtle was closed during the two times I went to PFN, possibly even disassembled. I think they view it as a kiddie ride perhaps. :( The three gems you should be concerned with experiencing are:
Auto Race
Kangaroo
Turtle

Oh and their newly returned Bayern Curve is FANTASTIC, so make sure to get a lap on it.

The six hours would be enough time to experience every (open) and get a few re-rides on some stuff, but like I said, you might not get to experience the Turtle or Auto Race. The Auto Race is the only one of its kind left in the world I believe and is really neat. The Kangaroo should be open though, and it is a one of a kind a well and really fun.

If you can I would go in the summer sometime to get the full experience. The park should be open at least until 10 and quite possibly 11 if it's busy. They don't decide that until the evening, but you can pretty much count on it being open until 10.