Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: CP Demon Drop to DP  (Read 19339 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Re: CP Demon Drop to KBF...
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2009, 06:31:49 AM »
...Dorney Park officials confirmed that the relocated Demon Drop would open during summer 2010, not by opening day (May 1) but probably by the Fourth of July. ...

...Dorney Park will retain the Demon Drop name and logo, but may change the color scheme, according to park officials. The ride will be located in the northeast corner of the park near Thunder Creek Speedway go-carts. The existing Krazy Kars ride may have to be removed to make room for Demon Drop, officials said....

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/knotts-berry-farm-5930/

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2009, 12:31:55 PM »
I for one am excitted. DD was like CP's 12th best ride. At Dorney it will be 4 or 5. More reason to go to dorney.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »
It makes no sense at all why it would go to DP.

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »
awesome news

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2009, 06:57:12 PM »
LOL at the range of responses. For me, DD will be tied with Talon as my favorite ride at Dorney. And that's cool that they are retaining the name, but it sure would fit in better near Possessed with that theme. Hopefully the Krazy Kars get axed and Dorney follows up with a  decent set of bumper cars.

Was the free fall ridership really that bad in its final years? I'm surprised to hear that considering there was little much else for adults to do there than ride coaster after coaster.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »
It was often worse than Scream Machine is now.  Which isn't saying much. :(

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
...which is interesting given that Kings Island's Vortex often still draws very long lines...

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »
Vortex is one of the smoothest Arrows I have ever been on. In my opinion, it is also a much better ride.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »
Was the free fall ridership really that bad in its final years?

Yeah, They would close it around 2pm because they would get so little riders during the day. And that was when it was open.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
Re: CP Demon Drop to DP
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2009, 12:17:32 PM »
I changed the title since it has been confirmed it is going to Dorney.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »
...which is interesting given that Kings Island's Vortex often still draws very long lines...

Kings Island doesn't have much other looping options though.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »
KI has a really unique line-up of coasters when you think of it. They don't have a true inverted coaster. They have 4 wood but no CCI, GCI, or GG. They didn't have a B&M until 2009. No Intamin. Yet they have 13 or 14 coasters.

Vekoma Flyer, FOF, BLSC, Invertigo, Suspended... all fairly uncommon models.

Sorry for going of topic.
DEMON DROP RULES! aha

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2009, 05:24:34 PM »
sweet! i renewed my platnium pass as DP so I can go back there as it's closer.. now i can hit up Demon Drop! Lol. CF doesn't like CA.. They give everything to CP and east. :D

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2009, 07:07:32 PM »
well, that park might close anyway, so what's the point.  I'm glad I can ride a stuntman's(clone) for the first time in over three years.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2009, 07:12:54 PM »
Knott's might close?  Are you smoking something? :)

Knott's did knott want Demon Drop.

And if you meant California's Great America...that's CGA, not CA (the state..)

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2009, 09:46:27 PM »
I don't want to see the Krazy Cars go.  I happen to think that they're a lot of fun.  Not necessarily bumping head on, but going in circles was fun and backing into the walls gave a nice pop off the ground.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »
Have you ridden cars like that elsewhere? They make Dorney's seem awful. Holiday World's bumper cars are better!

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2009, 11:21:54 PM »
I used to like bumper cars. Too many kids allowed to ride. Every park should have a 3 hr (21 and up)ert on bumper cars.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2009, 12:26:40 AM »
Yeah, kids (or anyone who doesn't know how to BUMP) can really ruin a good time on Bumper Cars, but they can also make for an extra fun time if you get to target them and make them sorry they got in your way. :)

Even at Knoebels, you occasionally get a really bad ride due to too many clueless drivers. I used to hate the rides that force you to drive in one direction, but it helps cut down on people getting in your way when you know what you're doing and trying to go around building up speed and slamming into people.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2009, 11:50:13 AM »
Yeah too many cars is an issue too. Bumper Cars at Canadas wonderland are nicknamed (401 in rush hour) cuz you literally never move. There is double the amount of cars there should be and only kids ride them. If you go on after 9 it's decent. But after nine is reserved for the Vortex, Behemoth happy ending.

To tie in the topic, Wonderland was rumoured to be in the running for DD after Knotts fell though. I'm sure it would have done reasonably well. All rides do well here due to no competition.

IMO the real reason DD was removed is to start clearing room for CP's next coaster. Does anyone else think the front of the park would be a horrible place to put a GCI? I'm not sure about the space situation but frontier (trail/land) would have been my choice. I understand the desire to have a major attaction placed by wicked twister and all that but a GCI wood doesn't make sense to me. Maybe the next steel coaster they put in. However I'm guessinf GCI's can have small footprints, and thats a big part of the attraction.

I'm rambling. Happy Holiday one and all.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »
You only need an acre (less actually) for a stunning Gravity Group woodie...Boardwalk Bullet. ;)

Between Disaster Transport and the Space Spiral architecture, they kind of have a contemporary look going in that corner of the park. With that in mind, a woodie doesn't sound the most logical for that location.

Hopefully they will figure something out that fits in where ever they put it and not require removal of more rides and what charm is left.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2009, 03:54:30 PM »
I will make your kids cry on bumper cars!

The "Onion" reported Knott's maintenance crew having a kegger to celebrate the non arrival of Demon Drop. "Good luck Dorney ", Bob Smith said over the weekend.