Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Six Flags trying to be alternative to Disney World  (Read 8470 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Six Flags trying to be alternative to Disney World
« on: March 07, 2006, 09:57:45 AM »
I'll paste this in here because these articles are usually only available for a few days.  Every article I read I keep thinking more and more that this guy "gets" it.

btw- Kiss Iron Eagle goodbye.

From the World Peace Herald:

By Jen Haberkorn
The Washington Times
Published February 24, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Mark Shapiro is two months into his tenure as chief executive officer of Six Flags Inc., and he's outlined plans to turn the theme park company into an alternative to Walt Disney World and bring in corporate partnerships.

He plans to have costumed characters walk the parks, put on daily parades, sell "Flash pass" tickets that get buyers to the front of the line, and build minicoasters for parents to ride with their children -- all taking a cue from the Disney park in Orlando, Fla.

"I know the hardship many families have making the jaunt to Orlando; my mission is to make Six Flags the better alternative," Mr. Shapiro said after meeting with about 100 employees at Six Flags America in Largo yesterday.

Six Flags Chairman Daniel Snyder brought Mr. Shapiro to the world's largest regional theme park company in December after the Washington Redskins owner took control of Six Flags in a proxy battle that ended in November. Mr. Shapiro was the chief executive officer at Red Zone LLC, Mr. Snyder's private investment company. He also spent 12 years at ESPN, which is owned by Disney.

A marketing agreement between the football team and Six Flags America is almost a given, he said.

"If the Redskins help us sell tickets, we'll help them sell tickets," Mr. Shapiro said, adding that the parties haven't discussed anything yet. "I'm kind of taking that one for granted."

He's bringing the sponsorship philosophy to all Six Flag's parks -- to roller coasters, food stands and games. Sunkist earlier this week was named official fruit supplier of the New York theme park company, and there are rumors of talks with Pizza Hut and Papa John's.

"I don't want to overcommercialize the park," Mr. Shapiro said. "If they want to sponsor a roller coaster, that's fine. If they want the FedEx Express, 'we get you there the fastest,' I have no problem with that. People trust that brand."

By 2007, arcade games, rock walls and features that cost an extra fee will be included in admission, he said. Those costs could be absorbed by sponsorships and promotions with products such as Sony's Playstation or Microsoft's XBox, he speculated.

"Smart marketers will begin to use Six Flags to reach people," Mr. Shapiro said. "We have a captive audience that spends 10 hours a day here. Opera, movie, Redskins game -- nobody [else] is spending 10 hours anywhere."

The changes are all focused on marketing to children and their parents, who spend more money than thrill-seeking teenagers.

"You know what makes a theme park? It's the environment," Mr. Shapiro told Six Flag's staff. "It takes me an hour to get on a ride at Disney because I get stuck on Main Street USA."

Modeled after the entrance to Disney World, he plans to add food carts, coffee stands, photographers, garbage cans and bathroom attendants, Mr. Shapiro said as he walked the park with management, including new general manager Terry W. Prather, who held the same position at Six Flags New Orleans.

"We're not abandoning roller coasters," he said. "We have two audiences we have to serve. We'll continue to be the thrill-ride leader ... and families. We have to get the balance back."

But he told employees that the 30-park company is $2.6 billion in debt, so Six Flags doesn't have the money to make additional changes until 2007.

Six Flags has hired Staubach Co., an Addison, Texas, real estate company to analyze the company's real estate holdings and assist in determining what should be sold to pay off debt.

Mr. Shapiro wouldn't say that Six Flags America is safe from the ax, but said he likes the Baltimore-Washington market.

"If the community responds [to the park's changes], this will become a no-touch market," he said.

Six Flags America will hire 400 additional seasonal employees this summer, boosting its seasonal figure to 2,000. Attendance there climbed about 3.5 percent last year following four years of declining figures.

The park will spend $80,000 to remove the Iron Eagle roller coaster that had become an unpopular "eyesore," said Mr. Shapiro, who conceded he doesn't like riding the upside-down rides, but loves big drops and traditional rides such as the Tilt-A-Whirl.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 03:42:57 PM »
By 2007, arcade games, rock walls and features that cost an extra fee will be included in admission, he said. Those costs could be absorbed by sponsorships and promotions with products such as Sony's Playstation or Microsoft's XBox, he speculated.

What! That is insane, you know how long the rock wall at GADV would be if it was free!

The park will spend $80,000 to remove the Iron Eagle roller coaster that had become an unpopular "eyesore," said Mr. Shapiro, who conceded he doesn't like riding the upside-down rides, but loves big drops and traditional rides such as the Tilt-A-Whirl.

Iron Eagle at SFA is a flat ride. Is he talking about the one at SFA or SFGAm?

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 04:56:16 PM »
SFA.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline OrlandoRocks

• Carousel
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 08:01:27 PM »
I think I might buy some Six Flags Stock (PKS) before the most of the parks open this year. I finally think they might on to be something good here !

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 11:26:06 PM »
Bad, bad, bad idea. SF will never be a true alternative to Disney. Too many park chains will always be better at it (Universal, Busch). But, they can be the link between Disney and Cedar Fair, or a high quality Paramount. Amazing thrills with some very good theming and fantastic service.

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 11:45:06 PM »
I think you missed the key word here, alternative.  He is not saying SF will be Disney, but instead it will be a place for families to go because they can't afford Disney.  It was for my family when I was a kid, I didn't go to Disney until I was old enough to go on my own, my family couldn't afford it.  That is what he is looking to attract, families that can afford to drop $500 for a great day but can't afford to drop $5k for Disney, and I think it is a good plan.  With a concentration on families, SF can be better then any of the other regional park chains out there, and Shapiro seems to have the will to make the changes needed.
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 12:06:00 AM »
I acknowledged that, but there are other chains that will forever be better at being the alternative to Disney (Universal, Busch) because of reputation, less parks to maintain, and not as deep in debt. I am saying that SF should definately change direction and be more family oriented and work on customer service until it is perfect, but they should not neglect their true bread and butter and what attracts a HUGE portion of visitors, and that is thrills.

They should aim to be a high quality Paramount. Focuses heavily on families, but still very thrill oriented. Also amazingly well kept and customer service never a problem. IMO Paramount is the most well run park chain that is out there right now, and if SF can aim for that kind of standard, it will be sort of an alternative to Disney but will appeal to everyone equally, not heavily on one area like Disney is.

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 07:15:15 AM »
^But if they keep focusing on Thrills, they will only get further and further into debt. That's the whole point. Building MultiMillion dollar roller coasters for a one year bump in attendance does not pay off! And the new management understands this. The best quote I've see referred to the fact that for the cost of one of these new coasters, they could totally revamp a section of the park, making it more appealing to EVERYONE. These are the kind of things they want to do to try and change Six Flags' reputation.

I acknowledged that, but there are other chains that will forever be better at being the alternative to Disney (Universal, Busch) because of reputation, less parks to maintain, and not as deep in debt.

Again, the only way they are going to get out of debt is to stop squandering money on things that do not pay themselves off! In addition, even Universal and Busch are destination parks. There is pretty much a Six Flags that is local (i.e. Day Trip) all over the US! THAT is the key here. Convincing people that want the Disney (or Busch or Universal) Experience that they do not need to spend $1000's and get on a plane to do so. Just take a day trip to your local Six Flags!
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 04:05:38 PM »
Quote from: "stew560"
^But if they keep focusing on Thrills, they will only get further and further into debt. That's the whole point. Building MultiMillion dollar roller coasters for a one year bump in attendance does not pay off! And the new management understands this. The best quote I've see referred to the fact that for the cost of one of these new coasters, they could totally revamp a section of the park, making it more appealing to EVERYONE. These are the kind of things they want to do to try and change Six Flags' reputation.

Again, look at my past posts, I agree 100% they should focus on other things at this point. But to neglect thrill seekers is a slap in the face to their biggest audience. Whether you think us types are profitable because we are in teens-20's is your business, but SF isn't gonna be a true family park and be successful. Ever. They need to bridge the gap between thrills/family/theming, which is why i say Paramount is perfect example and the gold standard they should look at.

Again, the only way they are going to get out of debt is to stop squandering money on things that do not pay themselves off! In addition, even Universal and Busch are destination parks. There is pretty much a Six Flags that is local (i.e. Day Trip) all over the US! THAT is the key here. Convincing people that want the Disney (or Busch or Universal) Experience that they do not need to spend $1000's and get on a plane to do so. Just take a day trip to your local Six Flags!

Coasters pay themselves off. That is the biggest misconsemption out there. It is a matter of if you add them every year or if you don't do anything else to bring people back. My favorite saying that I created....Coasters attract, the park quality bring 'em back. That is why say GADV was SO successful this year and in 2001 with Nitro, yet there was a huge drop in attendance in 2002, and if Toro wasn't being built in 2006, probably a drop next year. That is why SFMM felt the need to add Scream! in 2003, also.

Again, SF will never be a successful alternative to Disney. Most families out there will just suck up the money to go to one of the Orlando or SoCal parks if they want that type of enviorment. SF has always been unique because of their thrills. They should not do away with that aura, but rather build on it and bring in the park quality and atmosphere of the upper tier park chains (Universal, Busch, Disney, etc..). There needs to be a bridge between the gap of families and thrills, and SF could easily do it and attract EVERYONE, rather than families/little kids like Disney does.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 04:49:17 PM »
Quote from: "Nitro1118"
Quote from: "stew560"

Again, look at my past posts, I agree 100% they should focus on other things at this point. But to neglect thrill seekers is a slap in the face to their biggest audience. Whether you think us types are profitable because we are in teens-20's is your business, but SF isn't gonna be a true family park and be successful. Ever. They need to bridge the gap between thrills/family/theming, which is why i say Paramount is perfect example and the gold standard they should look at.

You must not be paying too much attention to what Shapiro is saying.  He understands the importance of the thrill seaker audience to Six Flags, and has stated numerous times that he is not going to neglect or abandon them.  They are simply going to stop focusing solely on thrill seakers, and spread the focus onto families as well (which still would include thrill seakers).  As for the Paramount comment, that's my bet on the type of park we will probably see the Six Flags chain molded into.  Not quite Disney, but good enough that you don't think of it as just some time-killer or expensive baby-sitter.

Coasters pay themselves off. That is the biggest misconsemption out there. It is a matter of if you add them every year or if you don't do anything else to bring people back. My favorite saying that I created....Coasters attract, the park quality bring 'em back. That is why say GADV was SO successful this year and in 2001 with Nitro, yet there was a huge drop in attendance in 2002, and if Toro wasn't being built in 2006, probably a drop next year. That is why SFMM felt the need to add Scream! in 2003, also.

Read that over.  You're contradicting yourself there.  If coasters payed themselves off in a manner that was condusive to good fiscal management, then SFMM wouldn't feel the need to throw another coaster in year after year.  One coaster should be able to bump attendance up for several years if that was the case.  I guarantee that none of those coasters caused a single-season bump so significant that it literally paid itself off.  They all do, yes.  But the fact that it takes so long to do so is what got SFI into debt in the first place.

Again, SF will never be a successful alternative to Disney. Most families out there will just suck up the money to go to one of the Orlando or SoCal parks if they want that type of enviorment. SF has always been unique because of their thrills. They should not do away with that aura, but rather build on it and bring in the park quality and atmosphere of the upper tier park chains (Universal, Busch, Disney, etc..). There needs to be a bridge between the gap of families and thrills, and SF could easily do it and attract EVERYONE, rather than families/little kids like Disney does.

You're thinking "competitor", not "alternative".  When families go on vacation, they think "Disney", "Universal", "Busch Gardens".  They think destination parks.  Six Flags, from what Shapiro is saying, is not trying to be that.  Six Flags is trying to be the type of park where a family might say "We want to experience Disney quality entertainment/fun, but it costs too much.  Where else could we go besides a destination park?"  That's the niche they are trying to fill.  The they are trying to fill that gap in there where the day trippers will be happy, and the destination trip people might give it a shot because it's a high quality chain.  My placement for the chain if all was to go as planned would be just under Busch, but just above Paramount.

Lastly, they are trying to do what you said in your last sentence.  They are trying to "attract EVERYONE, rather than families/little kids like Disney does."

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 07:09:04 PM »
With all due respect, if they are trying to attract people as a less expensive alternative to Disney, there are better things to confront the guests with first thing, than this sign:

Welcome to Six Flags
Parking, All Cars, $15

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 07:15:57 PM »
As apposed to Disney's current marketing?

"Come to Disney for under $1500"

And then you read the fine print:
"Does not include Airfare"

Suddenly $15 isn't that big of a deal.
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 07:16:13 PM »
Quote from: "rjholla2003"
You must not be paying too much attention to what Shapiro is saying.  He understands the importance of the thrill seaker audience to Six Flags, and has stated numerous times that he is not going to neglect or abandon them.  They are simply going to stop focusing solely on thrill seakers, and spread the focus onto families as well (which still would include thrill seakers).  As for the Paramount comment, that's my bet on the type of park we will probably see the Six Flags chain molded into.  Not quite Disney, but good enough that you don't think of it as just some time-killer or expensive baby-sitter.

Actually, he has stated he is going to STOP adding major coasters for a long time. I am not sure if this is true, but I heard on ACN he said it won't be until at least 2010 that SFGAm gets a new coaster.

Read that over.  You're contradicting yourself there.  If coasters payed themselves off in a manner that was condusive to good fiscal management, then SFMM wouldn't feel the need to throw another coaster in year after year.  One coaster should be able to bump attendance up for several years if that was the case.  I guarantee that none of those coasters caused a single-season bump so significant that it literally paid itself off.  They all do, yes.  But the fact that it takes so long to do so is what got SFI into debt in the first place.

Read my post more carefully. I said as long as the park quality is there to back them up, adding coasters ever 3-4 years is great business. SFMM kept adding coasters because after X/Deja Vu, the attendance was slumping because the park sucked and nothing was kept open (especially those 2 new additions). They tried to add Scream as a quick fix (take one look at the ride to see that) but it didn't work. SF got into debt because they added too much too soon as they bought each park. That is why SFWoA went under, why SFNO was doing so bad, etc... But in the barest sense, adding a coaster is intended to be a positive and if worked correctly, will always pay itself off and will be a positive.

You're thinking "competitor", not "alternative".  When families go on vacation, they think "Disney", "Universal", "Busch Gardens".  They think destination parks.  Six Flags, from what Shapiro is saying, is not trying to be that.  Six Flags is trying to be the type of park where a family might say "We want to experience Disney quality entertainment/fun, but it costs too much.  Where else could we go besides a destination park?"  That's the niche they are trying to fill.  The they are trying to fill that gap in there where the day trippers will be happy, and the destination trip people might give it a shot because it's a high quality chain.  My placement for the chain if all was to go as planned would be just under Busch, but just above Paramount.

Lastly, they are trying to do what you said in your last sentence.  They are trying to "attract EVERYONE, rather than families/little kids like Disney does."

Trust me, I know what they want SF to be. But, I feel that when they say Disney direction, they are trying to be mini-Disney. If that is the case, many people will be left out. Most people already go to SF parks as their local park. I stand by my opinion in that most people who want that high quality family experience will never find it at SF and will always go to Universal/Disney/Busch because of their repuations and high quality. Yes, I understand they want SF to be the alternative for the poorer, but I believe that people will always go to those destination parks for that certain fix. But if they want the normal day trip park fix, that comes with a different and unique experience to the Disney's and park experience rivals those parks, and not just an alternative, SF is that chain.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 09:21:35 PM »
From an interview found here: http://themeparks.about.com/od/sixflagsarticles/a/shapiro2006.htm

A.L.: You mentioned earlier that building major roller coasters and thrill rides was among the missteps of the previous Six Flags leadership, and that you want to attract more families with younger children. Are the two necessarily mutually exclusive? Are you taking Six Flags, world renowned for its ride arsenal, out of the coaster wars by placing a moratorium on blockbuster thrill rides?

M.S.: There's no moratorium. That's a misconception. But we need to diversify. We have 17 roller coasters at Six Flags Magic Mountain--that's too many. It's become like a drug. This industry has become addicted to roller coasters. We put them up. The attendance goes up. If we don?t do something the next year, we fall behind. We can't be so reliant on roller coasters. It's about balance. The pendulum has swung so far to teenagers, that our research shows Mom and Dad are pausing when it comes to Six Flags. I need to get rid of that pause. We can--and will--add roller coasters, but we can't abandon the rest of the park. Look, I love coasters. My favorite ride is the American Eagle (racing wood coaster at Six Flags Great America near Chicago). That's where I grew up. I'm proud of our thrill ride heritage. But, so much of our focus has been on roller coasters that our eye was off the ball when it came to taking care of the parks and taking care of our guests.

Another choice quote:

Arthur Levine: What do you see as the most pressing concerns in your drive to improve the chain, and what immediate changes can visitors expect this season at Six Flags parks?

Mark Shapiro: Overall, we're going to improve the value. And we're going to diversify the entertainment. I think in the past, we've focused too much on just the rides. We were just roller coasters. We were just thrill parks. That works. But that can't be the only guiding light. It's going to be about the overall package: parades, shows, fireworks, rides that families can enjoy together, concerts, celebrity appearances. And we're going to improve guest service with safe, clean environments, and by moving the lines quicker--ride lines, food lines, ticket lines. We're going to have ride breakdowns. That's the nature of the business. But people will forgive us if we over-deliver on the overall guest experience. In the past, Six Flags has fallen behind on the delivery promise.

For the second point in your reply to mine, I did read your post carefully.  The fact that the coaster itself is not bringing in the money is what Shapiro is talking about.  Coasters may be the bait, but you switch it off for the park.  Everyone knows that roller coasters are what cause spikes in attendance, but to stabilize it you need a quality park.  Roller coasters themselves do not create quality parks.  SFMM is the working example of that.

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 09:54:57 PM »
That is exactly what I have been saying all along. So we agree. Yay!

Bottom line is I hate when Disney is considered a gold standard and when SF says they are aiming for that alternative, it sends bad chills down my spine (Disney over the pays 5-10 years has been pure crap, cloning nearly every new attraction, and the attractions are coming cheaper and cheaper and more unoriginal by the year). I am still weary, as it appears that roller coasters will become very rare to the chain, and while (most) SF parks needa take a break from new coasters and focus soley on family and improving park quality, new major additions, whether it be major flats or major coasters, should not become endagered.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 11:57:13 PM »
Wow, we agree?  What happened there? :lol:

I wouldn't worry about coasters, or headlining rides becoming endangered or rare.  He seems to understand the importance of them, but respects the balance that needs to be between the thrills and family fun.  We've been on that path for the last two years now, so it doesn't affect us too much.  But for the other parks, they should start to enjoy the better quality that's started to seep into Great Adventure, and that's a good thing.

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 01:11:19 AM »
Well, i wouldn't consider adding a 25 million dollar coaster that is the  fastest and tallest in world, and a woodie with 76 degree drop a "balance"... :wink:

I am very weary of Shapiro and his gang, but I am welcome to change.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »
No, but adding the Golden Kingdom (the reason attendance was stable when Ka broke) and Plaza del Carnaval at the same time is. :wink:

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 06:48:00 PM »
GK isn't reason GADV was stable. It was the fact that people thought KK was open (GADV didn't even have it on main site, you had to do searching to find it, and commercials excluded KK, but never said it was down). Thus, leaving thousands miserable, but still at the park so GADV's attendance went up.

And I think those 2 coasters definately outweigh 2 small new areas.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 08:22:45 PM »
Yes, YOU think that.  It really doesn't matter, though, what you think or what I think.  It does matter what the bulk of the park's guests think.  

And Shapiro is changing that audience.  Believe you me, he is going to greatly deemphasize coasters.  He wants families to have a GREAT and memorable time at the park.  He wants teens and thrill seekers to, too...but make no mistake about it, they are to be the icing, not the cake part of the park's core audience.

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 08:35:58 PM »
I didn't mean in quality, I meant they outweigh them as they have been much bigger deals than the small family areas have.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 02:36:02 AM »
I strongly disagree.  Every non-enthusiast that I know (and even a few that plain hate/don't care for amusement parks) knew that Kingda Ka was down.  People were wondering when it would re-open for the whole summer.  It was big news since every local news channel and I think some news papers had news of it's breakdown.  It was no secret.  If the GK wasn't there, you wouldn't have droves of people wanting to see the Temple of the Tiger.  Nor would you have had the compliments of a better atmosphere and better theming that was reported last season.  The GK did a lot more for the park than you give it credit for.  It started to restore balance, and that kept the turnstiles clicking.

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 03:48:57 PM »
Everyone I know didn't know it was closed, except cousins who live in Jackson. What kept turnstiles clicking was the huge coasters like Nitro, and hope that KK may possibly be open. Temple of the Tiger gets some crowds, but I highly, HIGHLY, H-I-G-H-L-Y doubt that people saw those commercials and said, "I'm gonna drive an hour and pay 50 dollars a pop to see a few tigers." Shows don't attract people (unless it is something totally amazing and new), they help even out crowds when in aprk and make visits more enjoyable. But bottom line is the coasters are what people come for.

On a side note, I would bet you 75% of the people who enter the GK are heading towards the big, green, penis-looking structure.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2006, 05:56:45 PM »
You are right that the group previously headed to Six Flags was coming JUST for the coasters.

And Messrs Shapiro and Snyder want to change that.  They want an audience who IS coming for the shows, for the overall experience, for a good time...and who will spend money while they are there.

This is not, for the most part, the thrill seeking crowds those coasters drew (and held in line for up to five hours at a time...time that the guests were NOT spending money elsewhere in the park, I might add).

2006 will not be like 2005.  Watch and see.

This is either going to work or be a colossal failure.

At this point, it's too early to tell which.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2006, 07:58:41 PM »
Quote from: "Nitro1118"
Everyone I know didn't know it was closed, except cousins who live in Jackson. What kept turnstiles clicking was the huge coasters like Nitro, and hope that KK may possibly be open. Temple of the Tiger gets some crowds, but I highly, HIGHLY, H-I-G-H-L-Y doubt that people saw those commercials and said, "I'm gonna drive an hour and pay 50 dollars a pop to see a few tigers." Shows don't attract people (unless it is something totally amazing and new), they help even out crowds when in aprk and make visits more enjoyable. But bottom line is the coasters are what people come for.

On a side note, I would bet you 75% of the people who enter the GK are heading towards the big, green, penis-looking structure.

Right here is where we agree to disagree.  I've stated my point and while I think you're severlely underestimating the effect the GK really had on people, there's no way I'm going to be able to get you to see what I see.  All I can really say is that it's high time you start to look at this business in a different way.  Not because it's a different regime, but because you're thinking with the "enthuaiast hat" on, and enthusiast logic skews common sense at times.  Hopefully you'll understand the effect that a new area with a commitment to theming, some fresh paint, and some smiles have.

You may think I'm a dork for doing this, but it's how my major trained me.  I guess.  Open your ears when you go to the park.  Be a little observant.  Listen to the things people are saying about their stay when just wondering around the park.  It will open your mind to something new, because you'd be suprised what people comment on and do care about.