Other Stuff > Anything Goes

The nascar forum

<< < (2/16) > >>

B-mac:
I've known about the automakers' support problems ever since the rumor that Dodge was coming back in '01. In this kind of economy, GM only supports two teams, which are Hendrick and Earnhardt Gannassi Racing. Dodge only supports Penske now, since they are the only win contending team driving Dodges now. Ford supports both Roush and Yates racing teams while Toyota has Gibbs and Red Bull. The support of manufacturers is important to Nascar since money is the backbone to the sport. And one thing that I heard recently was that Volkswagen could possibly join the sport in the upcoming years. What car they'll use I don't know, but Nascar won't allow a diesel engine in the races and all of VW's cars run by Diesel fuels.

edit: GM also supports RCR. Ford is expanding its support to include Front Row Motorsports who will be fielding three FULL time rides in 2010. using the #34,37, and the #38. all cars have drivers on the team, but sponsorship could be an issue.

B-mac:
Another announcement: Nascar is planning to transition to the old aluminum spoiler that was used before the COT (Car of Tomorrow). This announcement came earlier this week and it is going to be tested at charlotte motor speedway on March 22nd-23rd. The spoiler can show up as early as martinsville which is taking place the weekend after the test.

--- Quote ---Specifications for the new spoiler and quarterpanels on Sprint Cup cars were sent in a memo Monday to teams by series director John Darby. According to the memo the spoiler that will replace the current wing will sit 4 inches atop the deck lid when measured from the centerline. The spoiler will be level across the top with a ground clearance of 43.52 inches from the top of the spoiler to the ground with the chassis on 6- and 8-inch blocks. The spoiler will be 64½-inches wide and one piece from right to left. It will be fabricated from 3/16-inch thick aluminum and fixed at 70 degrees. The fuel filler hole must be relocated forward of the left lower tip of the spoiler. Also, right and left quarterpanel extensions will be added to all cars. The extensions will be 4 inches long toward the ground at the rear wheel opening. The modifications, according to the memo, are not to be used in competition until all wind tunnel and on-track tests are completed. An open test [at Charlotte] is scheduled for all teams in March. The changes are being made in hopes of improving downforce and improving the quality of racing. They are not expected to be used for the Daytona 500 that kicks off the season on Feb. 14. The Bristol race in March is a more likely target.
--- End quote ---

overlord:
So the talk of doing away with the wing is true then eh? I wonder how this is going to change the dynamic of the cars

B-mac:
Hopefully, it won't end up like Talladega in april.

WadeJ:
I can't believe nobody has popped in here with politically incorrect comments yet :D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version