Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Great Adventure Opening Day 2010!  (Read 6559 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Great Adventure Opening Day 2010!
« on: March 27, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
So we are all back from opening day at Six Flags Great Adventure and Wild Safari, and I have to say I was pretty impressed and happy with how things were today (mostly). But first, you can see our Twitter for our updates from the park, a from-the-park update by some of our members here, and see how the Stride-A-Thon went down for coasterdude, one of our members, right here!

So now on to the day!

We arrived a little after 9 and went to the Wild Safari. On the way in we could see the Tornado still in pieces on the ground in Hurricane Harbor - it's going to be right on the road, which should help a lot with luring people in this summer. In the Safari itself it seemed like they repainted the signs to each section (although I could be crazy). Also, the two sets of lion cubs from last year that they kept at Exploration Station are now in their own enclosure.

In the Exploration Station it looked nice as always, unfortunately it was too cold to have most of the animals out in their pens. The new Safari map mentions that they have a Savannah Cat this year as well, which we hope to see out at some point when it gets warmer!

Also, for anyone who is curious it seems that they will be holding the summer camp again this year. It's a little short on details right now but it sounds like it should be bigger and better than last year. Once we hear more we'll let everyone know.

Once we finished there we headed into the theme park (with the one Season Passholder Parking lane full as always, need a few more of those I think. We ended up using an "All Transactions" one).

One thing I want to mention at this time is that they are scanning your pass everywhere this year. They scanned all of our passes going into Safari. They had to scan my pass to park in the theme park. They scanned my pass when I purchased things to get the discount. And I'm going to assume that people in the season passholder parking lane had to scan their passes on the machine as well, which is what was leading to the backup.

Also new this year (i think?) is them expanding the cash cards from Hurricane Harbor to the theme park. You can put money onto it and only carry around the "Six Flags Card" for the day to purchase things. The paper we got says you can get them at the Self-Service ticket kiosk.

Anyway, upon entering the park you can see what Wade showed us in his Pre-Season park update regarding all the Main street buildings being repainted, and I have to say it looked really good! Although the Superheroes one does stand out a bit much. And it seems like they removed some of the flowerbeds near Houdini because that walkway felt a lot more open, although I might be wrong!

We tried to get our season pass books at the Looney Toons Shoppe like normal, but they had not been delivered there yet. So we headed over to Season Pass Processing, which is now located in the old Alcatraz building between Superman and Scream Machine. Even with the park not very busy, the line was huge. And from what I hear it never got any better. So we never got coupon books. I'm not sure why it was so long, but I hope they get it figured out, because that was probably the low point of the day for many guests it seems.

Another thing we noticed today is that both parks (Wild Safari and Great Adventure) had A LOT of employees, and I think that's a good thing. There were 3-4 guards on each gate in the safari, and there were a lot more than needed on all the coasters. There were 5 or 6 standing behind the operator booth on Superman and close to 10 on the far side of the Kingda Ka station polishing the green train. Yes. Polishing the train. It seems like a lot were training, but it let more rides and food stands be open and things to move faster, so that was great to see on opening day.

We headed over to Kingda Ka which was testing but not open yet as of 11. But it opened up within minutes of us arriving, and we were able to get the second set of trains out for the year! Great ride as always, and I didn't go on at all last year for some reason. We did have an "uh oh" moment though, when the guy next to me goes "oh !@)(" on the launch track, and points to a Fiji Water bottle sitting between the seats of the people in front of us. Not sure how that made it on. Luckily it flew off during the launch because that would have HURT if it it someone, like me.

After Kindga Ka we headed over to Bizarro, through Golden Kingdom and past El Toro. It was at this point that we realized the day was nice (the sun kept it warm), and the park wasn't that busy, so it was a great day for riding rides! Even at Bizarro it was only a one train wait (although they were running three trains), which was nice. And seeing the Stride-A-Thon contestants on one of the trains was great! They were even being videotaped which must have added to the fun of it all.

Now I have to say this about Bizarro.. when did the soundtrack get changed? Or am I just crazy? I haven't been on the ride since it opened last year, but I remember it going on about "A reporter from the daily planet going into the wormhole" and the military response and stuff and then the Bizarro chant at the end. Today it started out like that... but towards the top of the lift just began playing random clips that went on for the rest of the ride. Iago from Aladdin, Donkey from Shrek, all kinds of stuff... and no Bizarro chant. When did this change happen? And why? It actually told a story before. I'm so confused.

Anyway, after that we took a walk through Frontier Adventures and saw the nice new paint job on Runaway Mine Train that Wade showed us was being done. We went past the redone Outpost Grill and headed towards the Lakefront. Of course we tried to go through the Arcade past the teacups.. and it was closed. So we had to go through the boardwalk again. When are they going to make a walkway past that paintball shooting gallery?

One thing we saw when we went past the Northern Star Arena is it says Kris Allen will be there on May 15th - this is not on any of the paperwork or lists involving concerts at the park. Hopefully its true!

At the Lakefront they had a local band performing, which is great. I still think it's really nice that the park lets local bands perform - you can't get a much bigger venue when you're starting out than Great Adventure.

We walked down towards Nitro and The Dark Knight, went to see if the Xploratorium was open but it wasn't - is that just a Memorial Day thing? And then we headed back out to Main Street through Fantasy Forest, where they have the new bowling alley set up and everything. We didn't investigate it too much (such as - is it a full 10 frame game?) but it was a neat little 3-5 lane setup. We also saw a sign that they were renting Cabanas for $25 today - we still need to try one of those out and report back on it!

Once we got back to Main Street we did some shopping and then headed out for the day.

All in all, a great opening day. Nothing "major" was done, no new attractions this year, but the park was clean, repainted, lots of employees.. definitely continuing in the right direction. And with Houdini being open starting Memorial Day, and possibly new flats coming this year or next year now thanks to the fan call, it can only get better.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the reason Season Pass Processing has moved is that that whole building has been closed off, and the 3D ride is gone this year. It's believed that that building will start being under construction this season for a new attraction next year. Can't wait for that, and we'll keep you updated on it as we hear more!

Bottom line: Everyone should go to the park. It's open for two straight weeks starting today, and has a Season Passholder Only day next Sunday April 4th. They have the employees to keep things moving even this early in the season, and it should only get better as things gear up for summer.

Photo time!

You can see the whole gallery from today right here. But I wanted to point out a few things:

- They have new Character Meet And Greet areas. There's one on Main Street and one.. um.. somewhere! There's another around the park I swear.

- The Jumbotron is still going strong. And Six Flags wants to put it at more parks (we were a test)!

- Like I said, the 3D Ride building is all closed up. Time for 2011 construction signs?

- Two things with this photo. One: The bathroom signs. These are all over the park. You will never have a problem finding a bathroom again. Ever. Also, there were two sets of signs like that Giraffe one saying "come see the largest" and "come see the tallest" in the Golden Kingdom.. but I have no idea what they were referencing.

- Right by the photo processing booth is a large sign mentioning a security building.

We will have information from the park maps and event guides up as soon as possible as well.

If you guys have any questions or want to know anything, or add anything, let us know!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:09:30 PM by jglonek »

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
Re: Great Adventure Opening Day 2010!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 10:05:55 PM »
You should have went in the building from that last picture. That's the brand-new Rides Height Check Station!

Parent with smaller children, you will love this:
Not only do they check heights there, but it is an official height check, so when your child gets a wristband from there, they WILL NOT get their height checked at every ride! Wristbands given out from ride locations are subject to second-guessing and denial by other rides, so it is a HUGE advantage to using the new area.

In addition to that, they also have a ride-status board in there, so you can pop your head in and get the most up-to-date information on what rides are running.

And lastly, Lost and Found has moved from outside of the park to in there, so Rides and Security can work better to get lost items back to the guests.

All in all, it's a great new service for everyone!
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:02:24 AM »
I agree the new Height check station is great ! Everyone should pop in there at least once just to see the nice job they did with that building and now no more huge line at guest relations for that and the parent pass .

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:56:42 PM »

In addition to that, they also have a ride-status board in there, so you can pop your head in and get the most up-to-date information on what rides are running.

So like wait times? Or open and closed?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »
What rides are running to me would seem to indicate open or closed ;).

Jerry, great job on the report!  Two other minor things I'd like to add is the new "visual scan" requirement and the new cell phone rules.

I'm going to try getting an explanation for the new visual scan thing because honestly, these poor ops were already being picked on hard yesterday with a "kinder" crowd lol.  As for the cell phones.... DO NOT have a cell phone visible AT ALL as you approach to enter a queue.  You must be able to properly "stow" the phone.  I can't tell you yes or no on pulling it back out in line.  I'll leave that up to you.  I seems too many people try blaming the park for lost phones and also waaaaayyyy too many people are getting hurt by phones flying off people mid-ride.  It's like texting and driving - DUMB.  Put the phones away securely during your ride!!!!

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
Oh i guess i didnt read it clearly. sorry. But they should have a board that says how long the waits are near the fountain. Like Universals.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 04:23:35 PM »
If they did, it would overstate wait times...the better to sell Flash Passes...

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »
As for the cell phones.... DO NOT have a cell phone visible AT ALL as you approach to enter a queue.  You must be able to properly "stow" the phone.

Ha, speaking of this - in the main market I saw, now I forget what they were called, but basically almost like Spandex you wear around your wrist that you can slip a cell phone into - the picture on it was an iPhone. I was about to ask the cashier if they were approved for bringing phones on the coasters :D

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »
Or you could slip your phone into a zipper pocket. :D

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 08:07:03 PM »
I put it in my shoes, those queue people check my pockets and everything...

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
thats kinda weird that they check your pocket. B Mac, do you wear running shoes to six?

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 08:35:07 PM »
no they do a spot check... because my wallet is clearly seen in the pantleg pockets I wear. I wear wide shoes and there's enough room from the tip of the shoe to my toe where I can fit my phone in it.

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 10:22:24 PM »
like nike?

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »
The park put up a video of the Stride-A-Thon on their Facebook page!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=599430584389&ref=nf

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »
..... Im sad I wanted to go. but now im happy because im going next weekend!

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »
go on friday, I don't want to spend my first Sf trip with my fam.

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »
The season pass processing line on Saturday was about 4x as long as the one Sunday (Sunday's was about 20 minutes around 1-2pm when I went). The really cool thing I want to add is that since I already had my season pass with the parking (I bought mine just prior to fright fest), I was able to show my season pass with parking and get another season pass parking for my girl friend for just $15 extra when they processed her's. I don't know if that's new or what, but I don't recall it from the prior years.

I sat next to you on Ka pointing out the fiji water, the line became 30 minutes long after I went on it once more. Sunday afternoon, rides were a walk on in comparison to saturday's short 15 minute waits, I stayed on the same batman train Sunday, changing rows occasionally for a solid hour.

Runaway Mine Train still appears to be getting rehab, as it was closed both days. Rolling Thunder has quiet a bit of new wood laying out waiting too , the awesome Left side is open, right side is closed (guessing they are going to rehab the right side before they open it toward summer?)

This year's "visual scan" is hilarious when done by some people so perhaps they will not get picked on later in the season?, ex.  Skull mountain. The ride attendant did the visual scan to the wall each time. Batman's one ride operator scanned the floor then out the front of the cave on Sunday, with the one attendant scanning the entire train while lowering to one knee. What are they suppose to be scanning for this year exactly?

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 05:46:49 PM »
What do the people have to do for a visial scan? This is so confusing!

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 12:11:51 AM »
In regards to the cell phone thing... I honestly feel safer with the phone in my hand on the ride. I know I won't let go of it, but if it's in my pocket, it's more difficult to tell where it is during the ride. The speed, vibrations, and airtime could all lead to my phone falling out of a pocket. I understand most of the parks guests aren't on the same level and aren't capable of holding a cell phone during the ride... So that whole concept can go either way as far as I'm concerned. I just hope they don't make anyone angry over their policy and no one gets hurt because of it. 

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30:38 AM »
We're the opposite. I hate having to hold onto anything during the ride and rather secure it in a zippered or buttoned pocket. I used to trust Velcro, but then I lost a cell phone on Nitro. I plan on getting one of those arm phone holders the park has and test-running it with my deactivated BlackBerry. I'm not gonna dive head-first with that new product with my Droid! If I like it, I might start using those. The black ones don't look too goofy.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »
I use to attach a Wii strap to the phone and then loop it onto my belt loops. Then tucked it in my zippered pocket for extra security. But I never had a problem with the Wii strap.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »
Some people who have TV's have...

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 06:34:45 PM »
What is a Wii strap? Never heard of it and my little brother has a Wii.

Offline Fjask

• Affiliate
  • Carousel
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 09:40:52 PM »
^It's the wrist strap that is attached to the Wii controller.

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 10:35:19 PM »
OHHHH yaaa. Wow im so stupid sometimes.