Other Stuff > Anything Goes

Having a Facebook

(1/6) > >>

B-mac:
sounds cool... too bad i don't, and never will have a facebook account.

Admin note: I cut this out of the Six Flags iPhone app thread, because I actually want to talk about this and that thread wasn't a good place!

jglonek:

--- Quote from: B-mac on April 07, 2010, 01:15:48 PM ---sounds cool... too bad i don't, and never will have a facebook account.

--- End quote ---

You sound like Steve. Not to get off-topic but what's wrong with Facebook? :)

B-mac:
Cyber-bullying, everyone in school knows more about you than you think, colleges use your facebook as an excuse to deny your enrollment, etc.

Edit: Oh and the fact people send you friend requests when you don't even see them at all during the school day.

B-mac:
It's steamy. TWC says it's 89 here in Moorestown.

jglonek:
Alright, so, I actually wanted to talk about this. Whether anyone cares what I have to say or not, who knows. But it could be a healthy discussion (hopefully).

So, I don't have any perspective of how MySpace and Facebook work with high school, I didn't have either until I was in college. Heck, I got a cell phone when I was a junior (2000, I'm old), so I don't know much of that either.

But, with everything I've seen with Facebook I guess I don't understand what the problems are that people wouldn't want one. Maybe the thoughts stem from thinking it's like MySpace, which it's so far from it's great. Or maybe it's based on thoughts of an earlier Facebook before they changed some things, I'm not sure.

But with Facebook.. you only add people you want to talk to or deal with. You can block everyone else from even seeing your profile. You can even block some of your friends from seeing much more than your basic profile. You can even block it so you don't appear on the Facebook search, which means the only way people can find you is via other Friend's lists, or by you sending them a request.

What I guess I'm saying is Facebook made really great enhancements to their security a few months ago. You can make groups of different friends, do different securitys for those groups (or individual people).. you can make certain people only be able to see certain parts of your Facebook. When you post updates you can say that you only want certain people to read it.. So for instance I can rant about work and block everyone I work with from seeing the rant. Pretty useful.

As for colleges denying you for having a Facebook.. that's absolutely a myth. I can't even imagine that happening. And when you hear stuff about people not getting jobs due to Facebook, or getting fired.. it's their own stupidity. Clearly if you have your employer on Facebook and want to talk about how you got smashed at work you probably shouldn't say that in the first place, but if you have to just block them from being able to see it!

But a lot of people are terrible with the security and understanding how to use Facebook in general.

As for friend requests, yeah, it's normal to have people who you don't really talk to. I think some people have a "gotta catch'em all" philosophy to their Facebook friends. Although I honestly don't know how people in school would react if you denied their friend request.. that's the only thing I can see about Facebook and high school that might not go so well.

Not that this is attempting to persuade you to get a Facebook, it doesn't matter to me lol. But I just wanted to rant and try to understand why people think it's such a bad thing.

I'm done lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version