Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Tornado Media Day!  (Read 4385 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Tornado Media Day!
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:25:08 PM »

This morning we were invited, along with other members of the media and some lucky fans, to attend Media Day for the new Tornado slide that is opening this Saturday at Hurricane Harbor.

Of course, as with anything at Six Flags, the weather looked like a tornado really was coming! But it held out through the course of the event.

It started off with a live band playing some of the music generally heard around Hurricane Harbor, and Six Flags employees along with Mr. Six and Bugs greeting everyone.

A few minutes before the event officially started there were two polynesian fire dancers performing, and I have to say they did pretty well!

Mark Kane came on stage first and thanked everyone for coming, as well as giving some candid remarks about the Tornado, such as ".. I think it looks like a giant toilet bowl, but uh, Angel didn't want me to say that, so I won't". Good stuff!

Angel came on next, thanking everyone for coming again. She also mentioned that Six Flags Friends: Cure Kids Cancer and the Children's Miracle Network were there as well, and Lily, who will be the ambassador for the Walk on June 13th was there and would be one of the first riders. Once Angel was finished she invited Bill Tawpash, Executive Director of Children's Miracle Network, onto the stage. He spoke about how the parntership with Six Flags has raised over $750,000 so far, and that characters and park employees coming to the hospitals really cheers the kids up.

After the speeches came the vine ribbon cutting for the slide, with Angel, Mark Kane, Lilly and NBC10's Glenn "Hurricane" Schwartz particpating.

Once the ribbon was cut, it was off to the ride!

The Tornado slide features a tube slide up top, which ends in a steep vertical incline into a giant funnel, where you will rock back and forth until you reach the end and come into the splash pool and exit the ride. It has a 48 inch height requirement, and requires 2-4 people per tube to ride. When you get in all they ask is that you lean forward a bit, not back out. It's a wild ride, and with anything gravity related the heavier your tube is, the farther up the sides of the funnel you will go!

Tornado view from the Observation walkway
Tornado view from the Splash Pool

We had a great time, and the Tornado slide is a great addition to the park and should be entertaining people for years to come. You will enjoy it!

The only thing I can say bad about the ride is: Guys, can you paint the steps in the splash pool? In the three times I rode it, I only found the bottom step coming out by banging into it with my foot, and my ankle shows it. Definitely would be good to have those marked!

Oh, on a random sidenote: There's a Ted's Cheesesteaks going in at Hurricane Harbor!

Thanks again to Angel, Jen, Mark Kane and Six Flags Great Adventure for inviting us. And it was great to see other media and members of the online community there, like Online and History.

You can see all the photos here!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:54:41 PM by jglonek »

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
Re: Tornado Media Day!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
this is cool. I saw photos on Facebook.

Cant wait to ride it. It looks amazing
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:03:13 PM by nitrorox1414 »

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »
It's a really fun ride. I wasn't at media day, but I did go on the one at Geauga Lake.

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
Iv only ridden one before in Rapids Water park. It was amazing.

No RWP has one but its completly dark inside.

Offline Mysterio

• Balin's Jungleland
  • GADV.com!
    • Great Adventure Online
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 06:38:35 PM »
Thanks again to Angel, Jen, Mark Kane and Six Flags Great Adventure for inviting us. And it was great to see other media and members of the online community there, like Online and History.
Was very nice meeting you! We almost got soaked, haha. Great event!

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »
I didn't ride it but, I got excellent feedback from my kids. They loved it but one thing they had to say was that kids really need to bring a taller adult to carry that HUGE raft up the stairs. They really struggled with that. Otherwise it is a winner in their book. :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:45:01 AM by DianaR »

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 10:44:03 AM »
looks sweet! cant wait to ride it! hope your ankles ok. ouch.

Intamin rhymes with win for a reason!

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:45:58 AM »
Thanks for the report. It looks like they really did it up for this media event!
Hopefully they will get some pain on that step.  Ouch!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »
We'll be riding the one at Holiday World next Saturday. Fun ride, especially when you over-weight the raft. :)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
Oh as a side note, all these photos and videos were taken with a brand new pocket camera. They are so reduced for the website, but I'm proud of how the originals look! Nice camera.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »
You know, I'm an idiot! Nice job covering the event Jerry. I should have said that rite from the start here...

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 02:41:19 PM »
We'll be riding the one at Holiday World next Saturday. Fun ride, especially when you over-weight the raft. :)

I've seen videos where the rafts go more than half-way up the funnel. The person at the top of the raft must feel about two seconds of air-time on the first two crests.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 02:49:17 PM »
Yes, it is very thrilling when you get up that high! Going backward down the drop is a big thrill too!

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
I wanna over size the raft :(

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »
Yes, it is very thrilling when you get up that high! Going backward down the drop is a big thrill too!

By my luck I'd fall off the tube going backwards... :(

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
That is why you hold on! lol

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »
I did do that on another ride and I got run over by the raft...

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 10:24:02 PM »
Ouch! That could really hurt with these big rafts, but I don't think you'd have to worry about that unless the raft was so overweighted that you flipped over at the top of the funnel.

Offline nitrorox1414

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 04:47:59 PM »
Could that happen?

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 05:01:24 PM »
I believe it did happen a Great America a few years ago, prompting the weight limit that pretty much every park uses now.