Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Admission Price Increases Florida parks  (Read 872 times)

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Admission Price Increases Florida parks
« on: August 05, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »
OK this is getting out of hand  the below was taken from screamscape.com and also posted other areas around the net I thought it was a great read

It’s that time of year again… the time of year when the industry groans as a whole as Disney and the other Orlando area parks push the ticket price envelop to see just how much further they can go.  It’s a sick trend really, as Disney and the other Orlando area parks have raised priced each and every year for about the past 15 to 20 years, and the overall impact is staggering at just how much more they are taking from your wallet than they were just 10 years ago. The new adult ticket price starting today at Walt Disney World is an astounding $82,and thats not even a park hopper which is over $100 however it really wasn’t that long ago when tickets were still at $50 or much less! One day Park hopper $132  2 day $216

All Ears Net has a great chart which documents all the Walt Disney World ticket prices since it opened in 1971 at a low price of $3.50 for an adult ticket. The last time Disney went more than a year without a price increase was back in December 1987 when they raised the ticket price to $28 and kept it until May 1989 (18 months) when it went up $1 to $29. When Disney did raise prices over the years, it was typically by just $1-2 up through 2003. More recently however annual price increase have typically been between $3-5, with a huge leap in 2006 when they raised priced twice in one year ($3.25 in January and another $4 in August!). Yep, that was a $7.25 increase… in just one year.

Now I did mention $50 previously, which was the price of WDW admission back from September 2002 to June 2003. Watching ticket prices really start to creep upwards throughout the biz in the 90’s, I had settled on $50 to be magic threshold number for the industry at that time. It has always been my opinion that there is a “glass threshold” point for ticket prices. If the ticket is raised past a certain point, the perceived value will shatter and the attraction will see their attendance figures plunge dramatically. Today I’d place at somewhere between $50-60, depending on the region.

Disney has unfortunately proved that with their perceived quality, marketing, image and product line, they were able to pass through this glass threshold and move far beyond it. For the most part, the rest of big players in Florida have been allowed to also pass through this barrier in Disney’s wake by being part of the same local market. The rest of the nations theme parks however, have not.

Lets take a look at Six Flags for a moment, as they have parks all over the country and have adjusted their ticket prices quite a bit for to account for this threshold point in each local market. For example the price of a ticket to Six Flags Great Adventure (New York/New Jersey market) is currently $54.99 at the gate, and $59.99 at Six Flags Magic Mountain (SoCal market). However you can buy tickets to both parks from the official website for just $34.99. By comparison, tickets are as low as $42.99 for SF New England and St. Louis, $44.99 for SF over Georgia, $49.99 for SF Discovery Kingdom and $51.99 at the Texas parks.

The Cedar Fair parks also show a similar spectrum: as low as $39.99 for Carowinds and Valleyfair, $41.99 for Worlds of Fun, $45.99 for Cedar Point, $49.99 for Kings Island, $54.99 for Knott’s Berry Farm, Kings Dominion and CA Great America. Much like Six Flags online discounts are plentiful and easy to find.

PARC Managements bigger parks (Elitch Gardens, Darien Lake) are close to $40 and Herschend’s biggest parks (Dollywood & Silver Dollar City) price themselves in the low to mid 50’s. The price to the SeaWorld / Busch Gardens parks also range quite a bit depending on the market: $75 for the Tampa, FL park while only $61 for the Williamsburg, VA park. SeaWorld Orlando is asking for $78 to visit while it’s only $59 to visit the California and Texas parks.

Keeping all that in mind, it looks like $60 is the current price threshold that no one outside of Florida (with the exception of Busch Gardens Williamsburg) has been willing to push through just yet, while clearly some areas of the country are still behind the $50 barrier as well. Disney though… they just keep pushing along, year after year, without the break. About the only thing that caused their attendance to fall in a major way was the time period following September 11th, 2001 which to be fair, shook up the entire travel industry as a whole. With Disney making big increase after increase every year however, I think it’s only a matter of “when” the world market says enough is enough and the barrier shatters in Orlando. Will it be $90? Will it be $100?

Hell, for $100 a person to visit the Magic Kingdom… I’m going to be expecting a lot more than just a fun day at the park. For $100+ per person I want Pooh to change my baby’s diaper, Lightning McQueen to shuttle us from park to park, Aladdin and his Genie to rub my wife’s feet when she’s tired and a nice back massage from Jessica Rabbit for me. Now shove that in your Project Next Gen folder

http://www.examiner.com/x-38263-Disney-Travel-Examiner~y2010m8d3-Disneyland-theme-parks-raise-ticket-prices

here are Prices for Park hopper: Looks like it pays to just buy a 10 day with no expiration

Price Per Day   Ages 10+   Ages 3-9    Total Price*    
   1 Day Ticket       $136.00    $128.00         $136.00    
   2 Day Ticket       $108.00    $100.00    $216.00    
   3 Day Ticket       $92.67       $85.33       $278.00    
   4 Day Ticket       $71.50       $65.75       $286.00    
   5 Day Ticket       $58.20       $53.60       $291.00    
   6 Day Ticket       $49.33       $45.50       $296.00    
   7 Day Ticket       $43.00       $39.71       $301.00    
   8 Day Ticket       $38.25       $35.38       $306.00    
   9 Day Ticket       $34.56       $32.00       $311.00    
   10 Day Ticket       $31.60       $29.30       $316.00

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/tickets-passes/?int_cmp=SOC-intDPFY10Q3Tickets03-08-10@0005
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:27:49 PM by PcMan »
Yo

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
Re: Admission Price Increases Florida parks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:02:39 PM »
Yes, the companies are trying to push the threshold a bit. Disney can only get away with it because of the huge tourist population year round.

Cedar Point's prices are great, but the area hotels charge outrageous prices 95% of the time and that's why I won't bother going (anywhere from 1,000 to 2,500 for a four night stay excluding holidays and weekends).

Busch Gardens Williamsburg outstands me because I've been going there yearly, sometimes twice, and have yet to pay over $900 (for hotel and tickets) for a four night stay over weekends.

I guess the prices range due to tourist demand and the "inflation/poor economy excuse," probably also due to the fact that a lot of people don't try to look around the area they're staying for added benefits (location, shops, environment, ease of travel to destinations, etc.). They just click a couple times, give their credit card number and go on vacation and don't realize they can probably save a lot of money and a lot of trouble.