Industry > Industry News

Outlaw Run Discussion

<< < (3/3)

Blackhand1001:

--- Quote from: AV Matt on March 19, 2013, 09:16:54 AM ---But the wood is structurally isolated by steel to keep it from flexing like a true wooden coaster so you probably don't get any benefit of having the wood there other than to support the steel. The flexing of the wood track is what gives a wooden coaster its "feel".

I hope I'm totally wrong. If it feels like a wooden coaster then I'll definitely retract my statement, but looking at how it's built it seems the wood is just there for show and has no effect on the physical experience.

--- End quote ---

Its the shaping of the rails that give it that wood feeling and the looser wheel boggies. Not the flex of the track. The topper track uses rectangular rails just like a true wooden coaster.

AV Matt:
By your theory New Texas Giant should feel like a wooden coaster and it by no means does. ;)

The "slop" between the guide wheels, up-stops and the track is definitely a factor in the wooden coaster sensation, but part of that is from the track flexing over time. And you can also feel the wooden track underneath you and know you're not on a steel coaster. The wood does flex and change shape over time. That's why a brand new wooden coaster gets better and better as the season goes on. The track gauge loosens up allowing for more play between the rails and the wheels, often allowing for more slamming airtime at the bottom of hills.
All this may still happen with this new steel layer system though (Clint said it feels like a wooden coaster on Georgia Cyclone so...). I look forward to finding out for myself.

Edwardo:
Yeah, NTG felt nothing like a wooden coaster.  Not even El Toro.

AV Matt:
The shape of the track is irrelevant.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version