Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Man dies shortly after riding Busch Gardens Tampa coaster (Gwazi)  (Read 1081 times)

Offline OrlandoRocks

• Carousel
A man died less than two hours after riding a roller coaster at Busch Gardens, park officials said Tuesday.

Thomas M. Welch, 52, of Palm Harbor, told his family he felt sick after riding the Gwazi roller coaster Monday morning, spokesman Gerard Hoeppner said.

Welch was responsive and talking when the park's first aid team arrived two minutes later, but he quickly lost consciousness. Paramedics attempted CPR and used a defibrillator, but Welch was pronounced dead at University Community Hospital less than two hours later, Hoeppner said.

"He did have a heart issue that they were attending to," Hoeppner said.

The ride, billed as the largest and fastest double wooden roller coaster in the Southeast, was closed for less than an hour after the incident to make sure it was functioning properly, Hoeppner said.

A telephone call placed to Florida Fair Rides Inspection Bureau was not answered and a message could not be left.

Gwazi reaches 50 mph at its highest speed and drops from a 90-foot lift, but does not go upside down, Hoeppner said.

"It certainly is a sad incident. We don't believe that it was ride related," he said. "We have very extensive and stringent ride systems and safety procedures. This particular wooden coaster is inspected everyday."

Gwazi has written and audio warnings along the way cautioning guests from boarding the ride if they have high blood pressure, heart problems or other illnesses, Hoeppner said.

A woman who answered the phone at the Welch residence declined to give her name, but said the family was grieving and would not comment.

A woman who answered the phone at the Hillsborough County medical examiner's office said they would not release any information until Wednesday.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-bk-rollercoaster072506,0,4813186.story?track=rss

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
Re: Man dies shortly after riding Busch Gardens Tampa coaster (Gwazi)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:13:47 AM »
Such a shame that another person has died on a roller coaster. I guess Florida is not the best place to ride coasters.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
Re: Man dies shortly after riding Busch Gardens Tampa coaster (Gwazi)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 01:56:04 AM »
First off, I do feel sorry for the family that they lost a loved one during what was to be a fun day at the park.

But, this is simply another case of people not adhering to the ride's warnings about health conditions.

"He did have a heart issue that they were attending to," Hoeppner said
I hope that the family doesn't sue, because that right there shows neglegence on the part of the man.  Knowing how America is, I wouldn't be suprised to see a lawsuit pop up in 3-5 weeks.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel