Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Farewell season to Funtown Pier ?  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Farewell season to Funtown Pier ?
« on: July 04, 2006, 01:52:43 PM »
Could more condos take over the Jersey shore :( 
Guess I should head out this weekend, wouldn't want to miss out on the haunted house. 

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060704/NEWS/607040315

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Re: Farewell season to Funtown Pier ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:54:09 PM »
Yeah, I read that just a few minutes ago and was about to post it.  That's truly sad.

The small parks are biting the dust left and right.

It seems somewhat reminescent of the 30's and 40's.  I hope it ends better than that did for the parks.  Were it not for Walt Disney, probably virtually all of the parks were on the road to closure.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 03:34:16 PM »
That is suprising, I mean they completely redid the whole pier during the winter and added a slingshot and also got that new coaster last year.

I only live 5 minutes away, so if anyone goes let me know.

Offline Fjask

• Affiliate
  • Carousel
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 04:34:38 PM »
Can anyone say Palisades Amusement Park?  :(

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 06:45:49 PM »
Or Magic Mountain (though the fat lady has not yet sung)?

Or Pavillion?

Or Miracle Strip?

Or Hillcrest?

Or West View?

Or Riverview?

The list goes on and on....

Sigh.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 11:50:30 PM »
what about alcyon lake park?  Its not houses but its still not a park anymore.

Theyll surely be satisfied when all of the parks are history.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 01:08:13 AM »
 i spend alot of friday and saturday nights there. It won't look right at all with condos on that spot. :'(
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 03:53:52 PM »
New article in the Ocean County Observor...

http://www.ocobserver.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060706/NEWS/607060352

Lights out for Funtown Pier?
Posted by the Ocean County Observer on 07/6/06
BY EDDIE HOLLOWELL
STAFF WRITER
SEASIDE PARK ? Games of chance. Bumper cars and roller coasters. Funnel cakes and salt water taffy.

None are in the future of Jersey Shore boardwalks, according to the consultant of a developer who wants to construct "over the ocean" condominiums in place of the amusements on the Funtown Pier.

"The boardwalk will eventually change," the project consultant, Carmen Ricci, told the borough council during a special meeting last night. "Amusements are not profitable anymore."

William Majors Jr., owner of the Funtown Pier, which sits in both Seaside Heights and Seaside Park, wants to construct 105 three-story condominiums on the section of the pier that lies in Seaside Park.

They would sell for $1 million to $2 million, depending on their size, and would be marketed largely as secondary homes for affluent North Jersey and New York residents, Ricci said.

A number of variances would be required for the project envisioned, but even if the developer could not get the necessary approvals, Ricci said it is likely that within a few years the amusements will be taken down from the Funtown Pier anyway.

"It's cheaper to take the rides off," Ricci said, noting increasing insurance costs and a shorter summer season. "You don't lose as much."

"Is this project real?'

The special meeting called by the borough council last night served only as an informational meeting. Mayor Robert W. Matthies said that no application has been filed with the Planning Office, but Ricci said the developer expects to file an application within the next 30 days.

No comment was taken from the approximately 40 members of the public who were present, but council members seemed just as surprised at the proposal.

"Is this project real? Is the project doable?" Matthies asked.

Councilwoman Norma V. Spice said she was unsure if residential properties over the water could get flood insurance.

"I'm not familiar with any condo projects in the ocean essentially," Spice said.

Ricci assured the council that the developer's engineers believe the project is possible.

"There's always problems in every project, but they're not anything that can't be overcome," Ricci said.

Under the proposal, a new pier would be constructed within the footprint of the current Funtown Pier. The condominiums would be built on top, with 210 parking spaces provided in a garage below the boardwalk. The underground concrete parking garage would extend 200 feet out toward the ocean, where steel bulkheading would keep the water out. The entrance and exit would also come from under the boardwalk, according to Ricci.

The total project cost is estimated at $50 million, Ricci said.

Several major variances would be required, Matthies said. Among the hurdles, Funtown Pier is zoned for business and not homes in Seaside Park.

Ricci said the Funtown Pier would remain open for the next two years, while the developer seeks the necessary approvals. If approved, construction of the condominiums would then take approximately one year to complete, Ricci said.

Ricci said the developer is seeking a partner for the project. Officials have said Toll Bros. has shown interest, but Ricci noted no contracts have been signed as of yet.

Future of boardwalks

The proposal only concerns the part of the pier within Seaside Park. The developer approached the Seaside Heights owners ? Majors rents the Seaside Heights portion of the pier from Belle Freeman Partnership ? but they were not interested in selling for at least the next five years, Ricci said.

However, Ricci told the council he felt such projects were inevitable at boardwalks in other towns as well.

"So, at some point you don't envision the boardwalk to be what it is today?" Matthies asked.

"No. Not at all," Ricci responded. "You can't stop it. It's coming because that's what people want."

Ricci said he expects some to oppose the project.

"There are many people that don't want change. That's understandable," Ricci said. "But you have to look at the person in the business. How will he survive?"

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 06:37:06 PM »
You gotta love consultants.  "Amusements are not profitable anymore." 

Someone tell Messrs Shapiro, Snyder, Kinzel and their ilk quickly.  Wait...it's too late...

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 07:51:03 PM »
I don't know what's more sad.  The fact that they think amusements aren't profitable, or the fact that people may infact be living in condos over the @#%$^Y$& sea.  Everything about the proposal sounds stupid, but you know there will be high demand because it's 'unique'.  Yuck.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 07:57:44 PM »
Beachfront property on the Jersey shore is becoming way too valuable. With an increase in property values comes an increase in property taxes. This will happen to Wildwood one day. Jersey shore buisnessmen will one day be unable to afford the taxes and they will have to sell to condo developers. :'(
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 07:58:38 PM »
And when the hurricane inevitably comes and washes the condos away, the owners will expect the Government to come in and give them housing and compensation....

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 09:11:31 PM »
 I went to Funtown Pier today and started talking to an older ride op who's been there 40 years (who actually quit today as well) He also confirmed it would take at least  two years before any thing happen to the pier. I guess we can close this now and re-open this topic in 2008.  ;D

Offline rwk

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 04:58:23 PM »
Oh well, lets close down our parks one by one until there isn't any fun left. Carmen Ricci was the owner of Brigantine Castle!!! The Castle opened in 1976 and closed in 1985, and it burned down Sept. 1987. Wildwood's Castle Dracula opened 1977 and burned 2002. What fun is there in condos? Everything that is wacky or unique is being erased by new condo developments. I don't understand these tacky beach towns all of a sudden wanting to market to the rich? Pretty soon there will be nowhere to vacation for the poor people. $1 million $2 million for condos? They're pricing us out of the market. What will happen to the Haunted Manor? I'd rather see a haunted house/dark ride get moved and operate elsewhere rather than close or get torn down.