Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Mark Kane new GM of Great Adventure  (Read 4448 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Mark Kane new GM of Great Adventure
« on: September 07, 2006, 01:48:49 PM »
Geez... another one...

From Yahoo Finance:
Six Flags Names Mark Kane to Lead Its Largest Park, Six Flags Great Adventure
Thursday September 7, 12:16 pm ET 
Current General Manager of Six Flags New England, Long-Time Industry and Six Flags Veteran Will Take Reins in New Jersey

NEW YORK, Sept. 7 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Six Flags (NYSE: SIX - News), the world's leading regional theme park company, announced today that Mark Kane, General Manager of Six Flags New England in Agawam, MA, will become General Manager of Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ effective today. Six Flags Great Adventure is the largest park in the Six Flags system, serves some of the largest markets in the country -- New York, New Jersey and Philadelphia -- and includes the theme park, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor waterpark, and Six Flags Wild Safari, the largest drive-through safari outside of Africa.

Kane has over 30 years of experience in the theme park industry, including 19 years with Six Flags, and has held a number of positions of increasing responsibility across a broad spectrum of theme park categories. These include serving for the past two years as General Manager of Six Flags New England; as the company's Corporate Director of Games and Attractions from 2000 to 2004; and in a number of roles at Six Flags Great Adventure from 1976- 1987, returning as the park's Retail Director in 2000, as well as a number of other positions in the management, sales and distribution, and food and beverage categories.

"Mark Kane is the ideal person to take on this role at our largest park," said Mark Shapiro, President and CEO of Six Flags. "He grew up in the Six Flags system, building a wealth of experience across all operational areas. In the two years he's been at Six Flags New England, he has provided the leadership and focus required to make that park a standout. From team building and leadership training, marketing, guest service, long-term planning and the implementation of our park-wide entertainment initiatives, his performance is serving to re-define the standard. I firmly believe he will quickly transform Six Flags Great Adventure into a true exemplar of what it means to be a Six Flags park."

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company. Founded in 1961, Six Flags is celebrating its 45th Anniversary in 2006. Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation headquartered in New York City.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Re: Mark Kane new GM of Great Adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 02:14:05 PM »
At least it's not Tom Cruise and Suri as the new Pr rep  ;). But you're right the problem is way higher up in the system than who they have as GM now. Hopefully they can figure things out in the off season.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:16:41 PM »
Now i remember reading a few posts about people who did not like the way SFNE was run at all.  What are we in for now?
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:22:49 PM »
I actually thought SFNE was run really good and was a great park. Hope he can do a great job here.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 03:26:34 PM »
WHen I was reading the Euro Coaster club trips reports they loved the way the park treated them and the way it was operated.
I never been there Yet so I can't comment myself.
Yo

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 04:35:12 PM »
This makes me really nervous cause I believe this is our 4th GM in a year. I don't think if we keep going at this rate GADV will make it to see the 5th one
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 05:28:58 PM »
I mean, man.  Can't they let ANYONE finish a season?!?  I didn't think that Chuck Hendrix was a permanent fixture at the park seeing as he came from Corporate, but wow.  I thought they'd at least let 'the new guy' start with a clean season.

Good Luck Mark Kane.  You'll need it.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 08:24:20 PM »
Amen.

I hate to say this, but if I worked at Six Flags as a General Manager and they wanted to transfer me to Great Adventure, I'd wonder what I had done wrong and how long they would keep me before tossing me to the wolves.

I still miss Rick, and think he was "lefted" for wanting to do the right things for the park.  I daresay I am beginning to think more and more than Messrs Shapiro and Snyder value "yes-people" more than they value doing the right thing at the right time for the right reason.

Offline coasterrider1998

• Jungleland Express
  • Cr98 in in you extended Gadvupdates Network!
    • TCT Central - The Site For The Alumni of ThrillCoaster Torus
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 09:53:20 PM »
I really hope Mr. Kane can help Gadv out. They really need it.

/Cr98\

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 11:24:50 PM »
I think Mr. Kane will luck out because he will end up in the GM position after the new chief fully understood just how bad of shape Gadv was in.  So next season, proper attention (and money) will be paid to the park.  So things should go much smoother for him.  Its just a shame it was at Rick and Ron's expense :(

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
  • Parachute Training Center
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 01:59:20 PM »
I think Mr. Kane will luck out because he will end up in the GM position after the new chief fully understood just how bad of shape Gadv was in.  So next season, proper attention (and money) will be paid to the park.  So things should go much smoother for him.  Its just a shame it was at Rick and Ron's expense :(
What happened to Rick and Ron?  How long were each there?

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 05:35:39 PM »
honestly, i cant even remember rick.  Ron was from last February or so until VIP night this year.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline coasterrider1998

• Jungleland Express
  • Cr98 in in you extended Gadvupdates Network!
    • TCT Central - The Site For The Alumni of ThrillCoaster Torus
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 07:23:46 PM »
Wow they went throught a lot this year.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2006, 02:48:01 PM »
Rick is working, last I heard, for the owner of Wild Adventures and Cypress Gardens...the latter recently filed bankruptcy.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2006, 03:48:06 PM »
/\ yes, its seems the bankruptcy, while not a "good" thing was mostly the result of their insurance companies not paying up after the hurricanes.

Though sadly, I think they would have been in trouble eventually anyway.  Rick and Ron are both good guys.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 09:09:14 PM »
If he has anything to do with the SP prices going already, before they even went on sale, SHAME ON HIM.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 09:41:12 PM »
The GM has zero to do with season pass prices or even the price of a cheeseburger.  If I'm not mistaken, season passes were $69.99 last year during the early bird pricing and this year they are $79.99 (still too cheap) so I don't think 10 bucks is all that out of line.

I'll fill you guys in as we get to know more about Mark but for now, we have no idea what to expect.  Perhaps the operation of the park through Fright Fest will be a good test for him.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 10:12:41 PM »
The GM has zero to do with season pass prices or even the price of a cheeseburger.  If I'm not mistaken, season passes were $69.99 last year during the early bird pricing and this year they are $79.99 (still too cheap) so I don't think 10 bucks is all that out of line.

I'll fill you guys in as we get to know more about Mark but for now, we have no idea what to expect.  Perhaps the operation of the park through Fright Fest will be a good test for him.

Ah ok, good that I don't have a grudge against him already. :D I meant they were $74.99 earlier this week, and now they're $79.99. Doesn't make any sense since they don't go on sale for a week.

The 5 or 10 (apparently) is fine since I actually bought mine for $105 this year.