Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Ocean City Maryland June 7th and 8th  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
Ocean City Maryland June 7th and 8th
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »
After weeks of planning, Melissa and I finally made it to Ocean City, MD. It was our first times there, so that meant there was plenty of things to see and a few new coasters to add to the "tally". On the drive down, we took the Cape May Lewes Ferry to cross from NJ to DE. Ocean City really isn't that far from Lewes, DE.. maybe 25-30 minutes?

After the Ferry ride, we continued the drive to our hotel, http://www.carouselhotel.com/. It was a very very nice hotel, very spacious, the beds were comfy and they even let us check in early at 11:00.

After checking in, we relaxed for a little, as you can Melissa is already doing in the pictures then we got up and went over to Baja Amusements to get our first new credit and 1 of 3 Wacky Worms in Ocean City.

The ride was fun. I like Wacky Worms, they're probably my favorite type of kiddie coasters (minus The High Speed Thrill Coaster at Knoebels). The Ride-Op gave us about 5-8 laps, I don't remember, but it was fun nonetheless. The park also has plenty of go kart tracks, some slick tracks and mini golf. We had none of that, so we drove back over to the "City" and parked for $5 near the Jolly Roget Pier. So we had this big plan to ride the rides at Jolly Roger Pier and Trimpers Thursday, and then do Jolly Roger Park and Splash Mountain on Friday, but all plans failed because nothing was open on Thursday.   :( We decided to walk around the boardwalk, take some photos, check out gift shops and relax. The boardwalk down there is very nice and is directly on the beach (not up in the air like Wildwood or Seaside)

After walking around, getting burnt and eating polish water ice, we went back to the room to relax again, took a quick 1 hour nap and got dinner at a place called Big Peckers. http://www.big-peckers.com/  ;D I really liked the food there, but Melissa wasn't too happy with her Chicken Strip Sandwich. The seating is very nice and cozy with 2 long padded bench seats with a picnic table in the middle that rolled back and forth gently. Very relaxing after a long day of not sleeping and walking in the sun. After dinner we went to The Candy Kitchen, a big candy store, mansion size, and bought some stuff and then proceeded to our room. It was now about 7:30 and we just passed out until the morning.

Friday morning we got up semi early, about 9 am. Our plan for today was to get the combo pass for Jolly Roger (Water park and 2 amusement parks) for $40.99.

That was an awesome deal as all 3 parks were empty. The water park has a half pipe slide, a master blaster, toilet bowl slide, and a bunch of other fun stuff. I never knew how steep those Half Pipe slides were, and it really scared the crap out of me going down the initial "plunge".

The slide was tons of fun and we took 2 "slides" on it. We also rode the Master Blaster about 3 times. These slides never fail to deliver. Tons of fun, and god airtime, which is rare for a tube slide.

Their toilet bowl called "Eye of the Hurricane" was a really fun slide, much better than the other toilet bowl I rode last summer. I'm thinking I liked this one more because I didn't have to wait over 1 hour to get on, instead we walked on for all 3 "slides"

We also enjoyed their lazy river, which every slide ended up sliding into, the wave pool and some other tube slides. There was one other slide that made me a little scared too. I actually fell out and continued falling down the slide after smashing my elbow on the side of every single turn. It looked like a fun slide at first, but turned into a mess LOL.

It was now about 2 and we thought it was time for some rides. We went into the Jolly Roger Amusement Park right next door and walked through the House of Mirrors. This one was fun, but very easy to find the exit. They also have a dark ride that we got stuck on in the middle. There was nothing scary about the ride though, it actually kind of sucked. sorry Dan :)

Up next was credit #2... the Wacky Worm!

This one wasn't as fun as the first, somehow, but we bought our on ride photo for $5. I will post that later as Melissa has it at her house. After the WW... we walked over to the "new coaster" that wasn't ready for operation yet. It was a Flitzer called "Racing". I guess this will give me another reason to head down there once it opens.

After that, we drove down to the Piers/Boardwalk area and got the same parking space we had the day before. We walked up to the boardwalk and noticed rides running right away at Jolly Roger Pier.

This park had a looping coaster, a dark ride (which is almost a coaster) a break dance, 1001 natch's,  a sling shot and some other random carnival type rides. We rode the dark ride, break dance, Looper and watched the Sling Shot cycle a few times. This pier reminded me of Steel Pier, but with a couple of more rides on it. The Break Dance ran a pretty slow cycle, but it was long, so I don't know if that makes it OK. 

The Looping Coaster sucks by the way...  :D

Trimper's rides was up next. I have been hearing rumors that this park might be closing after this year, so I am glad we made it there. It's a shame that this park is in danger as it has a lot to do, and plenty of fun rides. We got a wristband that was good until 6 p.m. and got on everything we wanted a couple of times. Bumper Cars, Zipper, Freak Out, Toboggan, Boomerang, Kiddie Coaster, Wacky Worm #3, and the 2 dark rides they had. The bumper cars were very fast, but since we were the only 2 on them, it wasn't that great of a ride. The Zipper was freaking crazy, and it was my first time riding one. We rode twice, and the 2nd time it got to me, it was really intense. The Toboggan coaster SUCKS. It looks funny, and its ok until the end of the ride where the bunny hops are.

Melissa and I went through some walk-through dark "rides" and had fun in them. They really are DARK and a little creepy. She got real scared though :)

^ Us on the pirate ship in front of a wacky mirror.

^ Those 3 were from an Ali Baba type walk through. That thing was really fun!

Here are some other Trimper's pics that I took...

After Trimpers, we left. We drove up to Delaware to hit Blue Diamond park to get our last 2 credits for the trip, the Orient Express and the Zyklon. This park was very nice, clean, and friendly. It reminded me of Beech Bend, minus The Kentucky Rumbler. We arrived at about 8:30 p.m. after getting a little lost and got on the 2 coasters, the spider and the kiddie drop tower. The Zyklon was very fun in the back seat, and made me scream "Oh S**t" going down the first drop.  :D Here are some pics from Blue Diamond..

We left, got home around 11:30 and passed out again. It was a glorious 2 days and I would love to do it again! If any of you haven't made it to Trimper's do yourself the favor and get there before they close!

Thanks for reading, and the rest of my pics can be viewed here...
http://community.webshots.com/user/frissbeking

Rob.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 03:58:25 PM by Frissbeking »

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline CoasterPete

• Jungleland Express
Re: Ocean City Maryland June 7th and 8th
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:18:15 PM »
Nice report!  Looks like you guys had a really fun time.  I'll definately have to try to make it down there sometime in the not to distant future.  Thanks for the pictures too, I've never seen these parks.

Pete
Florida's hidden secret.....the Dania Beach Hurricane!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 04:34:59 PM »
Cool nice report
I never been there and Looks Like a Future trip for Tina and I
and you already did the homework for me.
I may also bring our bikes

The Ferry boat is always a +  its a ride in itself

the Zipper rides are awesome my brother and I in Wildwood (when they had one) got the ride spinning even before it started and we had it spinning until the ride stopped
We were soaked from the workout and dizzy.

Yo

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:52:24 PM »
The Ferry is always good as you said, but I slept the entire ride. I went on 2 hours of sleep the first night, so we were very tired, as you can tell by us going to sleep at 7:30 the first night :)

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 09:58:34 PM »
Wow ,  that Tr was a lot better than what you described to me on the phone. I wish I was off yesterday  :(  . Oh and  Blue Diamond looks great at night!

^Here's a caption for that Photo

" Hey Mister, Have you've seen my Beach Ball "   

Who's taller Melissa or the paper mache guy?

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 10:10:48 PM »
It was fun

Blue Diamond at night is cool
you should go there

Fun.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 12:49:37 AM »
Wow, I can see now what this place is all about, I always heard about it just never went to investigate....Im not much of a beach guy, im either on the Reefs/Wrecks offshore or inland. Great Pics and a Great Trip Report, Bravo Rob!
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]