Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Coney Island Meetup TR Thread!  (Read 10631 times)

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters
Re: Coney Island Meetup was a blast!!
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2007, 11:26:12 AM »
The name for Spookazombiesomething is really Ghost Hole. I'm not going to brag, but I've been on EVERY SINGLE ride in Coney ISland. I finally rode Saturn 6 last year, and I will never ride it again! Spook-A-Rama used to be alot bigger! The room was two times that size, and it was two buildings years ago! Did you guys happen to see the dog they have locked up in one of the stationary cars on the Wonder Wheel? Don't think I'm crazy, he's really there.

-Dainan "Has to go to Corona Queens right now, peace" Rafferty

Coaster Count: 255

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 12:01:25 PM »
Fun time
Saturn 6 went on forever but was actually 8 minutes of going in circles   ::)

here is a Astroland update from Flyinphil  June 17th

http://www.flyinphilsphotos.com/amuse/ny/ci/2007-06-17/album0

JUNE 17, 2007
Coney Island (Astroland)
New York - See It Before
it's GONE Forever

www.flyinphilsphotos.com
Yo

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2007, 07:51:46 PM »
Sue, parking is 25 cents for every thirty minutes. I think?   I found a new york city parking pass with 50$ left on it, so actually parking was free.

"Your welcome for the Directions bubba"

Like Dan said, I make my own up as I go along.

Dan, nice little Trip report.  I enjoyed the Ghost hole as well. I'm also smart enough not to ride three spinning rides in a row.  El Dorado was my favorite ride of the night. I could have stayed on them all night. 

Directions  130 s 42 s 295 n to exit 56 Wendy's......then NJTP to exit 13 over two bridges get lost take 2nd to ocean parkway  and find the Cyclone.

Jim if you ever read this .. It was great meeting you and I really appreciate the first lap on Cyclone ! 

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 07:00:04 AM »
I found a new york city parking pass with 50$ left on it, so actually parking was free.

LOL! Didn't Myesha give you some money for parking anyway?
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 08:28:57 AM »
Dan was having just a little too much fun on the Kiddie Coaster
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2007, 08:34:58 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't understand Dan's posts? ???

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:17 AM »
Were all just as lost as you are Sue with understanding his posts, nobody just says anything ;)

Just Kidding

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2007, 08:56:53 AM »
I think he was saying that Melissa gave me money, but in reality only Tom and Rob did. Dan supplied the drinks. Thanks Guys !  

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 09:01:45 AM »
Sorry Sue. I just discovered coffee.

....then we broke down on the train for 15 minutes

I had one of them in the car on the way home from Coney.
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 09:03:25 AM »
^ What kind of breakdown are we talkin about here ;), Did you start screaming and crying uncontrolably in the car? :P

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2007, 10:05:26 AM »
I'm bored, so here are some more Photo's. I really just need to bring my other camera with me, sorry about the poor quality.

Here's a photo of Dan. Can you see him saying   "What am I thinking?"

This goes up and down.  (sorry that's all I got today!)

Rob's Hot sausage.

You never Knew she was here did you ?

Hey Tommy and James !

The CYC...Horrible pic

Fun Stuff inside this building.

Can never Have enough Wonder Wheel.

It's just so pretty and Amazing.

OK, off to work. Hopefully when I get home I'll see more pictures of this trip from PC and King.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2007, 10:25:21 AM »
Will get some up later today after I get some work done

ALso thanks again guys for the opportunity to finally get up to Coney and ride the Cyclone.
Yo

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
    • North East Coasters
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2007, 10:45:20 AM »
Sorry Sue. I just discovered coffee.

....then we broke down on the train for 15 minutes

I had one of them in the car on the way home from Coney.
^ What kind of breakdown are we talkin about here ;), Did you start screaming and crying uncontrolably in the car? :P

No, I didn't do that on the train! Though Robb, remember that day I was texting you from the N going to work?

-Dainan "Dumb Asstroland=Worst job EVER" Rafferty

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2007, 01:46:33 PM »
I was on the phone with you.

ROLLING THUNDER

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2007, 08:26:20 PM »
Quite a few years in the making... I finally got myself up to Coney Island. It was a fantastic night with some great people. This hobby truly is "enhanced" by the people you are with and I'd like to take a moment to thank all of my coaster buddies for sharing this great "pass time". Anyway, onto the TR...

We originally had a plan to have a large sized group meet up at Clementon Park to ride J2 for the first time this season. Well, this was our 2nd attempt, and 2nd failure. The first attempt was shut down by pouring rain and this time, J2 was closed for some major track issues. So once we decided CLP was out of the question, there was nothing to do... or was there??? There were many many different phone conversations between Dan, Bubba, Tom and myself about where to go... and suddenly, I'm not sure who came up with the idea, but we decided on Coney. Dan, Tom, Melissa and myself were all Coney Island virgins so this was a "monumental" trip for us. Bubba had been here before, but didn't speak to highly of the parks or Cyclone so I was really in no rush to get to the Island.

After an hour or so of getting ready, getting directions, figuring out how much money was needed... we were off to Camden NJ to pick up Dan. Melissa and I drove from the east side of NJ over to the Clementon area to pick up Tom (pcman). After getting Tom, we swung by Bubba's house and hopped in his "whip". Dan was our last passenger to acquire so once we got him, we were officially on our way. During the drive up, we hit traffic and passed some homeless people and some fancy bridges.

I went into this place with pretty low expectations. I always heard the crowds are bad, not large, bad, but the kind of bad where you better hold your purse, or lock your doors with a deadbolt. We encountered none of these 'hassles'. I've also heard GREAT things about the Cyclone and I've heard OK things about it as well so I wasn't sure what to expect. I decided to anticipate the worst, this way I wouldn't be disappointed. We arrived at the park too late to get wristbands, so this meant it was time to get ready to dish out big  $$$

We parked right in front of the Cyclone, but didn't ride that first...

Instead, we walked around, went on the boardwalk, and proceeded to the Wonder Wheel.

It was my 2nd Wonder Wheel type ride and Melissa's first so she was pretty nervous riding it. We picked the "Swinging" seats for the best ride experience you can get for $5.

^ Tom and Dan are real swingers :)

The ride offered some nice views, but not as much swinging as the ride in DCA... still fun none the less. From the top, we got to see what other rides the area had to offer, like the Zipper, Saturn 6, Top Spin... etc etc.

I'm not too sure what order we did everything in, so I will just start to ramble the rest of this report, in order, and out of order. Try to stay with me ;)

The Zipper was a ride I had high expectations for after riding the one in Ocean City. I always hear how great Coney's flat rides are, so this had to be a good one, right? WRONG!!! What a horrible way to spend $5. We didn't flip once, and we actually got more action while the ride was stopped as we tried flipping it ourselves.

The Coney Island Cyclone. The original. The "Legend". MOM as some call it.

This ride delivered in so many more ways than I ever could have imagined. I took my "cherry popping" ride in the back seat for the first ride. At this point our group had grown a little, adding Jim (jimvid) to the group ( who by the way is a wonderful host :) )
I had a little trouble getting into the back row since the padding is so thick, but I made it in and felt pretty comfortable. The first drop on this thing is so wickedly violent. I don't remember laughing so hard throughout a coaster ride in a looooong time. This ride really was all it's cracked up to be. The drops on it were just insane, and the turns were taken at awesome speeds. I ended up getting 6 or so rides on it throughout the night and each ride was as good as the first. I was always told the back is the worst spot to sit, but honestly, it was my favorite seat or the 3 rows I tried. I do hope the city decides to keep this ride here for many more years to come. I will be back again and again to ride.

Dan and I rode the dark rides together. They were kind of corny, but fun.

I had heard wonderful things about the Top Spin and Breakdance rides... so these obviously had to get checked out.

Top Spin came first.

I'm normally not a fan of Top Spins. In fact, I really don't like them at all. I will say this about Coney's Top Spin, it is THE best flat ride I've ever ridden. The cycle was very very long, the flips were uncountable, and our laughter was uncontrollable. I would have loved to ride it again, but at $5 a pop, it can get pricey.

The Break Dance on the other hand was kind of a let down for me. Break Dances are/were my favorite type of flat rides. This one was hyped up quite a bit for me so I had high expectations. The ride was very fun, don't get me wrong here, but it was missing something that I've had on other break dance's. It spun a lot, for a long time, but I never got the "intense pull" that some Break Dances give so much of. I actually felt a little sick after the ride, and I know Dan can agree with me on that one.

We then made the mistake of riding Saturn 6 immediately after the Break Dance. It was a fun ride, but the cycle was just waaaay too long. 8 minutes to be exact. I could have done with a 2 minute cycle and been just as satisfied.

Since it was Friday night, fireworks were to be on display at 9:30 p.m. They showed up late, around 10 p.m. instead, but they were very nice. Much nicer than the fireworks in my home town on 4th of July. This boardwalk is really in shambles compared to what I'm used to. Having just spent the last 3 weekends going to Seaside, Wildwood, Ocean City NJ and MD, this is a step or 5 down from all of them. The wood was loose everywhere and nails were exposed in a lot of places. Not very safe or clean, but it's all good.

The fireworks were beautiful... too bad I still can't figure out how to take good night shots. The night couldn't have been more perfect. Thanks to Jim for coming out and hanging with us. Thanks Bubba for driving. Thanks Dan and Tom for putting up with me and Melissa :)  I hit credits #318 #319 and #320, #75 wood and a new favorite flat ride. Cyclone is now in my "top 10 material" list of coasters. My low expectations were ridiculously exceeded.

I will end this report with a few random pictures from the night...

^ Bubba, me, Melissa, Tom and Jim (Minus Dan taking the picture)

^ random kids... Tom... Me with Melissa next to me and Da behind me whom you can't see.

Since Dan keeps getting cut out of the pictures...

^ Here are his feet. :)

^ "AAAAAY!!! Thanks for reading my report!!!" (in a heavy New York accent)

More pics can be seen here...
http://family.webshots.com/album/559907310aXhrQE

Rob.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 08:43:37 PM by Frissbeking »

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Re: Coney Island Meetup TR Thread!
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2007, 09:27:10 PM »
Wow great report

I was a fun night
and if I could I would have rode Cyclone all night if it wasn't for the $
if they had like a $40-$50 wristband just for Cyclone I would buy it and ride all night

Bubbs,Dan ,Rob 
Next Time I will drive  ;)

I have a few pics to post soon

but My Video clip of the Sick water man didn't come out
Yo

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 09:49:26 PM »
Outstanding TR's guys :)

Next time call me before heading to Coney!

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 10:16:36 PM »
I thought about calling you, but I thought you said you had work or something and you wouldn't be free until after 7... sorry!

Next time I will... I promise ;)

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2007, 10:52:22 PM »
Here are a few will post some more Tomorrow
11:13pm done for now more tomorrow
a few more

I never knew Coney Island was so close only 15 miles west of the NJ Turnpike (and 2 bridges)\/

\/

Dan and Rob  :o :)  he he \/

Looks like this ride Spooked Bubbs \/

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:32:06 AM by pcman »
Yo

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
    • North East Coasters
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2007, 11:58:45 PM »
Looks like you guys had a great time!

-Dainan "Too bad you guys missed out on a Dragon Wagon credit!" Rafferty

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2007, 12:04:08 AM »
Where's the Dragon Wagon!?!?!?!?!?

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2007, 12:30:44 AM »
The Dark ride spook houses have some cool creature effects on the front of them \/

Spook \/

And Each one of these creatures move are animated \/

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 12:43:36 AM by pcman »
Yo

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
    • North East Coasters
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2007, 12:33:49 AM »
^Ghost Hole is the least favorite spook house in Coney Island.

^^The Dragon Wagon was in the little kiddie park on the Bowery, it was on the other side of the fence next to the Spider.

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2007, 12:37:07 AM »

And as you can see Rob... it says  Children only, but I guess any thing is possible ?

Did they remove it last year  or does sit SBNO? 

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2007, 12:41:50 AM »
Sorry to double post but I just read this again

^Ghost Hole is the least favorite spook house in Coney Island.

Really ?  I found the drop to be amazing.   The only thing I didn't like was the locking restraint on the cars.