Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Any thoughts about Great Escape?  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Any thoughts about Great Escape?
« on: July 11, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »
So I'm looking to do a new park..Any thoughts on Great Escape or any park  within the 5 hour radius  of GADV that might be better ?  Thanks for help!

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Re: Any thoughts about Great Escape?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 04:41:14 PM »
When you going?

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »
Apparently it's really bad.

A kiddie theme park with one gem in Comet. There probably are better parks within 5 hours.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »
Until now I never really knew how far Great Escape was
its just past Albany off I-87 the New York State thruway which is very easy to drive to
just Like PKD is easy this is right on the highway take a look
THis is the same way I go to Vermont for skiing

ALso its in the Lake George tourist area so the Lake may be a goos visit also

www.tomslakegeorgesite.com   try Google Earth awesome  http://earth.google.com

Very close to I-87 \/

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 05:06:35 PM by pcman »
Yo

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 01:47:15 AM »
Chuck,  In 4 hours ..lol .. Matt, that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure.  Tom you know me, I only do day trips.  I'm In and out of parks under 3hours lately.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 02:02:34 AM »
If you go, make sure you go when they are open later than 8 and not on a weekend. They have some horrible capacity rides, and I'm told by many many people that Comet is only good after it warms up all day (unless it's raining). Those being the main reasons I have yet to go there.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:31:38 AM »
The Comet is really good Joe. If you like Phoenix, Viper at SFGAm and the Kennywood coasters, you'll like this after it warms up. Nightmare at Crackaxle Canyon is top 10 worthy too. Stemon Demon and Alpine Bobsled are fun. Just combine it with SFNE or head up to La Rhonde. Next year. When we all have our passports. 
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 09:28:45 AM »
Great Escape is a pretty good little park.  Comet is a fun ride, but personally I found it overrated.  They have some neat stuff for the kids, as it started out as a kiddie park.  It is not a bad half day park.

On the way be sure to check out Hoffman's Playland, just outside  Albany.  They've got killer bumpercars.
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
  • Parachute Training Center
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 10:06:03 AM »
The Great Escape is one of the best parks around.  I have been going to the park every year since 1978 when I was a little kid and the park was Storytown, USA.  The family atmosphere and the cleanliness of the park are noteworthy.  The was the crown jewel of the late Charles Wood and Six Flags has done an incredible job at maintaining the high standards that Mr. Wood established for the park.  The Comet is an incredible wooden coaster and the water park, Splashwater Kingdom is included in the park admission.  The Lake George area is so beautiful and truly a great destination for families with young kids.  Checkout the GADVUPdates equivalent at The Great Escape
http://www.gecentral.com/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:12:10 AM by peterpjr »

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:26:24 AM »
The Comet is really good Joe. If you like Phoenix, Viper at SFGAm and the Kennywood coasters, you'll like this after it warms up. Nightmare at Crackaxle Canyon is top 10 worthy too. Stemon Demon and Alpine Bobsled are fun. Just combine it with SFNE or head up to La Rhonde. Next year. When we all have our passports. 
I believe that Nightmare at Crackaxle Canyon is SBNO.

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 01:08:30 PM »
I'd say it's worth the ride for the Comet alone.  It's an awesome ride! 

There's an upcoming ACE event with night ERT.

http://www.aceonline.org/flyers/TGE2007.pdf

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 02:17:03 PM »
I have never been there but the Comet is geat! I love driving upstate, its so nice and gets you away from the rat race in NYC

Stay away from the SLC, The bobsleds are now gone i think
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 04:08:16 PM »
Yeah I say go in, get your credits. Maybe ride Comet 2 more times and then just spend the rest of the day at Lake George.

I love that area.

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 05:36:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info and the link Pete. As you might of guess I didn't make it up that far north as I pulled off and went to GA. The park was very empty and I had an overall nice relaxing time with friends.

Offline peterpjr

• Human Locker
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 07:10:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info and the link Pete. As you might of guess I didn't make it up that far north as I pulled off and went to GA. The park was very empty and I had an overall nice relaxing time with friends.
Given the choice of tge or ga you made the right choice pulling off and going to ga.  Which were you at the park, sat or sun?  Both days where beautiful but Sun was a little too hot for my likes.  I will be at TGE the week after next as I am going for my annual trip to Lake George with my family.

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 12:23:01 AM »
I got to Lake George and Montreal every year since 2003. And I absolutely loved The Great Escape! It was the first park my sister was allowed to ride every ride (and believe me she did, I was forced to ride Boomerang 9 times and Steamin' Demon 14 times during our first trip). The Great Escape in my opinion is not as good anymore. In fact, I was really disapointed with the park last year by how much it changed. The atmosphere is still great and family oriented, but not as spectacular back in the day! The coasters are all good. Even though the most thrilling are the Comet and Nightmare (SBNO this year), you will be suprised by this park! There Boomerang is still stunningly smooth and Steamin' Demon is...was not that bad. Last year it was pretty bad. Everything else is enjoyable. And the Alpine Bobsleds are still there, the SLC hasn't been built yet. Also, from Lake George we do La Ronde and have driven back the same day! It's only 3 hours away (depending). The drive from TGE to La Ronde isn't that bad! The Great Escape is still a great park to go to, excpecially with the whole family.

-Dainan "I'm going to TGE and La Ronde in 3 weeks" Rafferty

Coaster Count: 255