Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: the 7 coasters(wonders) of the known world!  (Read 6177 times)

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
the 7 coasters(wonders) of the known world!
« on: January 04, 2006, 10:06:16 PM »
so i saw on another board.. a tally of the seven coasters of the known world.. nomitated by you ofcourse.  Kind of like the seven wonders of the world way back in the days of alexander, only the 7 coasters.  They must be exsisting and you have to give a reason why for each one.  So list 7 of your favorite coasters and why they should be deserving of this award.. and maybe ill get un lazy and make a tally of them all after awhile.

so my nominations.

7)Viper(MM) - an arrow mega looper, something long gone in todays world.  Debuted as hightest tallest and most inversions.. and inspired many greats today

6)Batman:The Ride (the original..) - now i know.. why would i pick this?  Well.. it was B&M's breakthrough.  This coaster spawned a cloning process that benifited smaller parks that couldnt aford an original designed ride.  not only that.. but its pretty awesome to this day.

5)Millenium force (CP) - breaking 10 records with a debute coaster isnt too shabby.  This thing inspired our Wonderous king.. and without it.. we would still be in the 200's

4) Beast(PKI) - the longest tallest fastest for almost ever.  This coaster is worthy of a spot.. because it was such an innovator for its time

3)The Lochness Monster(BGW) - first interlocking loops.. debuted as the highest.. and it put BGW where it is today, one of the best parks out there.  Very popular ride when it debuted and was my first steel looping coaster.

2)X(MM) - Nothing else quite like it.  Deffinatly just a wild imagination until arrow was brave enough to build it.  I have rode this thing.. and its not really comparable to any of the other coasters i have been on.. deffinatly a top 10 coaster, even if its a bit rough sometimes

1) the phoenix (knoebels) - theres not a better story around.  Knoebel took a dead coaster from a dead park, ressurected it.. and 20 years later its still roaring at its new location.  Most deffinatly the number 1 coaster of the world.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 10:22:00 PM »
    X, nuff said
    Colossos, gotta give love to the first PnP
    Kingda Ka/TTD interchangable to me.  TTD gets bonus points for being the first strata, but Ka pulls even with the hight/speed/hill advantage.
    Millennium Force
    Expedition GeForce
    Xcelerator
    Coney Island Cyclone, because it's the modern definition of "wooden coaster".
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 10:28:47 PM »
hmm.  lets make these already exsisting.  Did i forget to mention that up there?  lol

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 10:41:03 PM »
I edited my list to make it all existing.  I got to add in some other coasters I felt deserved it that way.

Offline blazzinmatt

• Parachute Training Center
    • MATTDONDERS
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:46:13 PM »
Here is my list. I don't know the order or anything, but I will figure an order out soon. Here is my list.

1. The Hulk (IOA)
2. TTD/Kingda Ka (CP/GADV)
3. Millenium Force (CP)
4. The Coney Island Cyclone
5. X (Magic Mountain)
6. Nitro (GADV)
7. Lightning Racers(HP)

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 10:49:31 PM »
Nick- You HAVE to put Magnum in that list, along with Shockwave at SFGAm RIP instead of Viper, as Viper was just a taller near clone.

My 7 wonder of the world for coasters:

1)Coney Island Cyclone- The most famous coaster in the world, and by far the most important. At the time, it was built in the mecca of all amusement parks. When you think golden age of coasters, you think of this coaster.

2) Magnum XL 200- First complete circuit coaster to break 200ft, and first steel coaster to really manipulate a wooden coasters layout, but make it smoother and taller/faster/longer. It's setting also makes it an amazing coaster, and is a pure classic.

3) Kingda Ka/Top Thrill Dragster- First true coasters to break the 400ft mark (S:TE NEVER reaches 400ft). Also the first coasters to use the hydraulic launch to close to its potential. Amazing feats of engineering.

4) Millennium Force- The biggest boom in the industry since Magnum. First complete circuit coaster to break 300ft, at the time the fastest complete circuit, one of the longest, and by far the greatest drop on a coaster. So unqiue, it put Intamin on the mega coaster map.

5) The Racer at PKI- Launched the 2nd boom of the golden age in 1972. If you are an enthusiast, you must look at the steel monsters of today and realize that none of them would be here without the Racer.

6) Superman: Ride of Steel at SFNE- Intamin's first mega coaster in which Intamin showed off just what they can do. Intamin showed off what the meaning of ejectopr airtime really is, and devised quite possibly the greatest layout on any coaster of all time.

7) Dueling Dragons- Surprised to see this up here? I am too, haha. When I thought about it, DD is a marvel of modern engineering. 2 amazing coasters that duel flawlessly with B&M's weight lift system, in which they determine just how to make the trains meet at certain points. DD is one of those coasters that just amazes me in its design.

Honorable mentions- Beast, Raven, X

Offline blazzinmatt

• MATTDONDERS
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 11:33:44 PM »
Dueling Dragons is an amazing coaster. Didn't even think of putting it up there, but if I had honorable mentions it would be there. That is an awesome ride and its awesome that they time both so that they get to the points exactly. I know thats what dueling is, but the dueling inversions are quite amazing and breathtaking.

Offline Metsman.

• Balin's Jungleland
  • Open your eyes, I'm a blessing in disguise
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 02:34:12 PM »
1) X- The most unique roller coaster in the history of the world.

2) Coney Island Cyclone- The world's most famous roller coaster, and one of the first "modern" woodies.

3) Magnum XL-200- The first steel coaster built purely for airtime and speed. It broke the recent trend of mega-loopers, and started a new trend of coasters built for speed and air.

4) Revolution (SFMM)- You got to give props to the first looping Schwarzkopf

5) Kumba- B&M's first major project showed the potential of the young company, and fueled their sucess forever. Kumba debuted the zero-g camelback which is one of the most successfull elements ever.

6) Top Thrill Dragster- The first coaster to use Intamin's new hydraulic launch to it's full potential, and the first to really break 400 ft (sorry S:TE, I can't stand up for you anymore  :cry: )

7) Millenium Force- The biggest roller coaster in the world with a lift hill needs some lovin' too. With the best drop in the world and blazing fast speeds, (no airtime much to my dismay  :x ) Millenium Force will always be a top coaster in the world.

Top 10 Coasters: S:RoS (SFNE), X, Nitro, Kingda Ka, TTD, Millenium Force, Apollo, She

Offline KingdaKaRuler05

• Monkey Around
  • Can't Stop
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »
There are in no particular order...

1. Hulk-Only B&M with a launch. Even though they didn't build it, it still is a first.

2. Revolution-First Looping coaster in the US.

3. Batman:The Ride (s)-B&M's first invert, their most popular style of coaster. This coaster has been cloned so many times it isn't even funny.However, it started the popularity of the invert, as said above.

4. X-Just plain unique.

5. The Cyclone-The most classic coaster in the United States.

6. Magnum-First coaster to start the height craze.

7. Last but not least-the Russian Ice Slides. The Ice Slides are the first coasters in the world. With all the extreme machines we have today, we owe it all to this ride.

-KKR05
Under the bridge downtown...

1 VS. 100...Fridays at 8 on NBC!

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 08:28:25 PM »
Can someone explain to me how the Cyclone is wonder of the world? It's a classic yes, but a wonder?

My actual 7 world wonder coasters of the world:

*Wonder of the world when it opened

*7. Batman: The Ride- Six Flags America-First invert.

*6. Air- Alton Towers-The first real "flying" coaster (I consider Flying dutchmen as lay downs.)

5. Mega Coaster- Hamanako Pal Pal - Anyone on TPR will know this one, it's basically Manhatten Express and Viper combined. Going to be terrible right? No! It's great! That's a world wonder, a good Togo. :lol:

4. Vild-Svinet- BonBobn-Land- The first euro fighter, it is still a marvel. A 90* lift and a 97* drop. I love these things

3. Sequoia Adventure- Gardaland- Wow, I mean, wow. 180* drop!?!? Amazing, the first screaming squirrel. Truely a wonder of the world.

2. Dodonpa- Fuji-Q Highland- 0 − 106.9 mph in 1.8 seconds, Enough said.

1. X- Six Flags Magic Mountain- Still the only 4-D coaster, but not for long with this being built. But still amazing technology.

Offline blazzinmatt

• MATTDONDERS
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 01:55:36 AM »
Quote from: "SilverBullet"

That is ridiculous acceleration. I want to ride that, now.

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 12:47:26 PM »
I wonder if it's as rough as H:XLC!

That said, Hypersonics launch was even more intense (IMO) than KK's. It was so quick all I remember is a blur and then I was up the hill! I don't think my brain could handle that quick of an acceleration!
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 12:51:38 PM »
I believe it is actually. 0-80 in 1.8 vs 0-128 in 3.5. Yeah it is. H:XLC would get to about 150 somthing in 3.5.

Offline blazzinmatt

• MATTDONDERS
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 03:27:42 PM »
That is ridiculous. That doesn't sound safe, but I am sure its 100% safe for the GP. It just sounds like a ridiculous number to me.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 11:18:37 PM »
You guys are forgetting Matterhorn at Disneyland. The first steel coaster. Duhh. It was on modern marvels. Air is definately a wonder. First full forth flying coaster. How about our very own Medusa?

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 11:25:43 PM »
^Eh, medusa wasn't that great because it was just a B&M looper with out a floor. It wasn't a marvel like WOW THE TECHNOLOGY!

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 12:43:11 AM »
Quote from: "overlord"
You guys are forgetting Matterhorn at Disneyland. The first steel coaster. Duh. It was on modern marvels. Air is definitely a wonder. First full forth flying coaster. How about our very own Medusa?

I don't enjoy SUF... it tainted my view of flying coasters.

however Matterhorn is an awesome suggestion.  I'm a little angry that i forgot that.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 01:03:33 AM »
What else did steve say on the modern marvels show? What about batman:chiller with its inverted top hat? Honorable mention or wonder?

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 08:14:17 PM »
Can someone explain to me how the Cyclone is wonder of the world? It's a classic yes, but a wonder?

My actual 7 world wonder coasters of the world:

*Wonder of the world when it opened

*7. Batman: The Ride- Six Flags America-First invert.

*6. Air- Alton Towers-The first real "flying" coaster (I consider Flying dutchmen as lay downs.)

5. Mega Coaster- Hamanako Pal Pal - Anyone on TPR will know this one, it's basically Manhatten Express and Viper combined. Going to be terrible right? No! It's great! That's a world wonder, a good Togo. :lol:

4. Vild-Svinet- BonBobn-Land- The first euro fighter, it is still a marvel. A 90* lift and a 97* drop. I love these things

3. Sequoia Adventure- Gardaland- Wow, I mean, wow. 180* drop!?!? Amazing, the first screaming squirrel. Truely a wonder of the world.

1. X- Six Flags Magic Mountain- Still the only 4-D coaster, but not for long with this being built. But still amazing technology.

Well look at it this way....how many coasters can you name in which other parks have tried to clone/reinvent its layout and steal its name? There have been hundreds of Cyclone's, most of which have tried to copy Cyclone at CI's layout. Also remember, it was built in the mecca of all theme parks, and started the golden age of coasters.

PS- Your list is quite screwed up, as a few of those coasters were flops and did nothing for the industry. It isn't about the greatest technology of today, it is about the very best technology of the past or what that coaster did for the industry.

PPS- B:TR was built at SFGAm, nor SFA.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 08:22:51 PM »
I believe it is actually. 0-80 in 1.8 vs 0-128 in 3.5. Yeah it is. H:XLC would get to about 150 somthing in 3.5.

http://www.rcdb.com/id1423.htm

It's 106 in 1.8 seconds.  I always found that acceleration to be ridiculous.  I want to ride Dodonpa badly, just to experience it.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 08:57:16 PM »
Quote from: "rjholla2003"

It's 106 in 1.8 seconds.  I always found that acceleration to be ridiculous.  I want to ride Dodonpa badly, just to experience it.

I was saying that Hypersonic: XLC's launch is 0-80 because stew was saying it's more intense than KK's which it is.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 09:02:47 PM »
Oh, gotcha.  I definately misunderstood you there.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 09:05:39 PM »

I was saying that Hypersonic: XLC's launch is 0-80 because stew was saying it's more intense than KK's which it is.

well, a little off topic.. but you have to realize that the human body is fragile.  We can only take so much before you have to make a pressurized cockpit to ride in.  XLC only goes to 80 in that amount of time because it only has to go so high.  king is much much greater in height.. and so it only takes as much power as it has to in order to reach the top safey.  I believe if you make king to its full potenttial.. you could hit something insane..

but than it would be unridable.

just something to thnk about.

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 09:15:10 PM »
Quote from: "chilled182"

well, a little off topic.. but you have to realize that the human body is fragile.  We can only take so much before you have to make a pressurized cockpit to ride in.  XLC only goes to 80 in that amount of time because it only has to go so high.  king is much much greater in height.. and so it only takes as much power as it has to in order to reach the top safey.  I believe if you make king to its full potenttial.. you could hit something insane..

but than it would be unridable.

just something to thnk about.

[offTopic] Yes I know that enclosed cars are inevetible if they want to go higher and faster but I was speaking of acceleration rates and compressed air launches are quicker than hydraulic launches. [/OffTopic]

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2006, 09:25:26 PM »
dont doubt  for a second that king cant match that acceleration rate.  It would just.. do some damage.