Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Coming this summer, anyone have locker advice?  (Read 5773 times)

Offline Gordon Bombay

• ME
Coming this summer, anyone have locker advice?
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:43:29 AM »
First off I apologize for not posting that often since I have registered and hope I don't come off as a troll, butwith any luck, and no grief from work, I will be making the 10 hour drive from the city in my avatar to Jackson for my first trip ever to GADV! Couldn't be more excited, planning on taking gigabytes upon gigabytes of photographs. I am really into photography, studying photojournalism in school, and take my camera with me everywhere I go, especially amusement parks. I shoot with an Olympus Digital SLR and usually carry two lenses with me along with a medium sized camera bag. At my home park of Kings Island this is usually no problem. For the most part all the rides there provide a storage area or I just keep it with me. Firehawk is the only exception in which I have to purchase a dollar locker. At Cedar Point however, its quite a different story as they will not allow you to carry hardly anything with you on any ride and this camera definitely will not fit in my pockets. Because their rides vary from requiring renting a locker to having a storage area I am constantly pestered with having to shell out $ to put my camera in a locker, which really isn't that bad considering I find the photographs to be worth. I will be honest though, I haven't been to a Six Flags park since I was six years old so their policies and parks are pretty much foreign to me. What is GADV's policy with carry on items and lockers? Will it be similar to Cedar Point? Should I plan on riding certain rides in a certain order, dividing them into ones where i'll need a locker and ones I won't? Thanks for the help.

37 days till Kings Island opens...

Approximately 3 months till I have a chance to get to GADV...

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
Re: Coming this summer, anyone have locker advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 01:02:03 AM »
Basically every ride you can bring your stuff into the station and leave it on the side besides Kingda Ka. Just like how at Cedar Point they don't let you onto a line if you have loose articles on you, Kingda Ka has the same policy. As for pictures go, I love to take photographs of the coasters, but I have gotten in trouble before. Some of the park security officers don't have a problem with it, just as long as you don't bring your camera or take photos while you are on a ride. A select few will stop you, but that rarely happens. I have been stopped for taking pictures of the coasters- the security officer said it's fine if I take pictures in the park, just as long as "people" are in it and not just the coaster. I'm guessing it is for terrorism reasons??

Anyway, glad to have a new guest at Great Adventure. You're gonna love El Toro. Let me know when you plan on visiting the park and maybe I can meet up with you and let you know when to go on what rides.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 06:08:14 AM »
No need to feel like a troll Gordon.  Some like to read, others like to post.  Use the site how you want. :)

This season, unfortunately MF, that is very incorrect.  Every major thrill ride will have lockers at the start of their queue (or off to the side) to store loose articles.  You can't bring them into the queue since you will not be allowed to ride if you happen to bring any into the station, and will have to wait on line all over again.  The  2 hour lockers cost $1.  There are also day lockers just outside the park gates, over near Nitro (if they didn't move them to use as temp lockers elsewhere) Kingda Ka (if they weren't converted to 2 hour lockers) and between Johnny Rockets and Hot Tropics near the fountain.  You may be able to open these lockers while keeping your "session", but I'm nowhere near sure on that.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline Gordon Bombay

• ME
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 09:06:53 AM »
Thank you both very much for your responses.

" I have been stopped for taking pictures of the coasters- the security officer said it's fine if I take pictures in the park, just as long as "people" are in it and not just the coaster. I'm guessing it is for terrorism reasons??"

-That is quite strange and I haven't heard of anything like that happening at a park until now. At Geauga Lake (RIP) and Cedar Point I had been asked not to take photographs while standing in certain queue lines, a rule which I had no problem complying to, but never on the midway has anyone every tried to stop me from taking a photograph, I could understand if you were in an area where you weren't supposed to be or causing a problem, but just snapping pictures from the midway...weird. Regardless, thanks for your help. When I get the date nailed down I'll pose more detail and questions regarding what's the best way to go about my day.

" Every major thrill ride will have lockers at the start of their queue (or off to the side) to store loose articles.  You can't bring them into the queue since you will not be allowed to ride if you happen to bring any into the station, and will have to wait on line all over again.  The  2 hour lockers cost $1."

-While the whole no loose articles in line policy at times can be quite hindering, I am glad to see the locker prices are at least reasonable. 2 hours for 1 dollar....that is excellent compared to the park in Sandusky.

"You may be able to open these lockers while keeping your "session", but I'm nowhere near sure on that."

-I hope so, that would be awesome, Cedar Point is quite a pain with their expensive and often defective lockers. At Kings Island so far we haven't seen this whole locker revolution, while I'm all for safety, I also enjoy high quality photographs and wouldn't even consider not bringing my camera.

One other question for you guys; I have heard lodging around the park is somewhat expensive. Depending on who I go with and when, I may just stay with some family about an hour away in Bridgewater, according to the map I would have to take I-95 back and forth each way and I'd go to the park 2 days in a row. Is traffic along this route usually bad or are there any tolls? Unfortunately my outlook on New Jersey highways is pretty bleak after having to travel on the turnpike for hours in traffic this past December :p

Edit:

"You're gonna love El Toro."

-While El Toro looks amazing, and I am a huge wooden coaster fan, what I'm really looking forward to is Rolling Thunder! Poor KI has an excellent wood coaster maintenance team, but the wood coasters there are shells of their former selves. Beast is always amazing at night and has its good days and bad days, Racer has been reprofiled and trimmed to hell and back, and Son Of Beast......well......nuff said. So, I look forward to the well regarded wood coasters at GADV!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 09:10:52 AM by Gordon Bombay »

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:50:05 AM »

try to wear cargo pants and shorts with many locking pockets.
I can fit my Canon camera, Cell phone and small water bottle on my short pockets.
but with a larger SLR that can be a problem.
or do all the coasters with a smaller camera then come back later and get the good shots with a SLR.

if its cool out you can where a jacket or vest with many pockets

I also have a heavy vest with about 8 pockets.
I like when it a little cold so i can where it and do have room for "my stuff"

Last year I used a Canon A640 but since sold it and now have a A720is
Yo

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Every major thrill ride will have lockers at the start of their queue (or off to the side) to store loose articles.  You can't bring them into the queue since you will not be allowed to ride if you happen to bring any into the station, and will have to wait on line all over again.

Is that new this year? Or has it just always been like that and noone has paid attention to it?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »
For the most part its new and is the same across the entire chain.  There are even new pay lockers right outside El Toros entrance.  And trust me, they will be strictly enforcing this. I agree with Tom, wear cargo pants or shorts with zipper pockets.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 01:11:44 PM »
Hmmmm...well its not the guys that have problems. It is the girls. What about Nitro with its station lockers? Same for Medusa.

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 03:02:14 PM »

try to wear cargo pants and shorts with many locking pockets.
I can fit my Canon camera, Cell phone and small water bottle on my short pockets.

yea that's the best thing to do. I always wear pants with zippers so I don't have to waste time renting a locker

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 12:25:14 AM »
The station lockers are gone.  They really don't want you to bring loose articles into the park, but if you do, they definitely aren't allowed in the queue.  And yes, that is brand new for this year.

As far as Bridgewater, that's one town over from me!  LOL.  You'd be taking I-287 (or I-78 to 287, depending on where in B-Water you are), to the Turnpike (I-95), then end your interstate journey on I-195.  I've heard that 78 can be bad, 287 during rush hour can be horrendous, and the Turnpike depends on it's mood.  Most days it's just fine since going south is against the flow.  But if there's an accident you're pretty done for.  Exits 8 and 8A skip over to US-130.  You can follow the signs pretty well, but for a non-local it may be intimidating to leave a safe rout.  US-130 runs pretty parallel to the turnpike, and gets you to 195 one exit before the turnpike exit.  There is a new hotel in Hamilton NJ that's right on 130 and is only about 15 minutes from the park.  You might want to look for that.

I never experienced security stopping me from taking a picture, nor have I seen that while working.  There have been scattered reports of that from people, so I don't know what to tell you.

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 12:52:11 AM »
Hey RJ, do you think if I ask the security officer working by El Toro if I could film El Toro's first drop over by the handicap entrance he/she would let me? That's the best spot to get awesome footage of El Toro's first drop and I haven't gotten any from over there yet.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 11:11:16 AM »
You can follow the signs pretty well, but for a non-local it may be intimidating to leave a safe rout.  US-130 runs pretty parallel to the turnpike, and gets you to 195 one exit before the turnpike exit.  There is a new hotel in Hamilton NJ that's right on 130 and is only about 15 minutes from the park.  You might want to look for that.

If you see the hotel, you have gone too far then. Coming south from Rt 130, on the right you will see a gymnastics place, a car dealership some woods and then the highway. Right before I-195, there is a AAA on your left hand side. Make sure you only do the speed limit from Jamesburg and down to Hamilton. The Washington Township & East Windsor cops are power hungry and will pull you over for anything really. If you do end up overshooting the on ramp for I 195, there is a U turn at the light directly following the overpass. And if you miss that one, theres another U turn at the next light. :P So you cant really get lost if you miss it.

RJ, there are no exceptions to the new rule correct? Not even sneakers?

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »
Nope.  Pretty much, a loose article constitutes anything not in a buttoned or zippered pocket.  Side pockets are considered loose, and anything in them loose articles. The signs specifically mention: Keys, cell phones, cameras, mp3 players, and I think one other thing that's just left my mind.  Just make sure your friends realize that if they think they're smart and take it in the queue and it's seen in the station, they will not be allowed to ride, and will have to go to the back of the line.  Non-riders in the queue may not hold loose articles since they have the opportunity to change their mind.

As for El Toro's drop, all I can say is ask.  I have no clue what security will let you do.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 03:20:56 PM »
The station lockers are gone.  They really don't want you to bring loose articles into the park, but if you do, they definitely aren't allowed in the queue.  And yes, that is brand new for this year.

As far as Bridgewater, that's one town over from me!  LOL.  You'd be taking I-287 (or I-78 to 287, depending on where in B-Water you are), to the Turnpike (I-95), then end your interstate journey on I-195.  I've heard that 78 can be bad, 287 during rush hour can be horrendous, and the Turnpike depends on it's mood.  Most days it's just fine since going south is against the flow.  But if there's an accident you're pretty done for.  Exits 8 and 8A skip over to US-130.  You can follow the signs pretty well, but for a non-local it may be intimidating to leave a safe rout.  US-130 runs pretty parallel to the turnpike, and gets you to 195 one exit before the turnpike exit.  There is a new hotel in Hamilton NJ that's right on 130 and is only about 15 minutes from the park.  You might want to look for that.

I never experienced security stopping me from taking a picture, nor have I seen that while working.  There have been scattered reports of that from people, so I don't know what to tell you.

I have a question what about all of us ladies  and or guys that may want to wear flip flops to the park ? Are we still going to be able to leave them on the side of the station or is it going to be like IOA and we are going to have to hold them ?? I know they are a loose article .

Offline Mysterio

• Balin's Jungleland
  • GADV.com!
    • Great Adventure Online
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »
Though I don't exactly know how the policy will work this season, I would guess they will let you wear them and in the station will probably tell you to sit on them.

My best bet, though don't go by my word cause I have yet to see the new policy in effect!

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 02:50:51 AM »
The only thing I can say about the sandals is to actually stick the seat belt through the toes of the sandals and secure them like that.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 05:45:22 AM »
Now there's something for those guests who don't wash their hands before eating in the park to think about. . .

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »
My advice with the flip flops: wear sneakers.  It's better ankle support anyway, better cushoning, and the park is HUGE afterall.  Fun Fact:  The parade route (Movietown arena, through movietown to Granny's, through Fantasy Forest, past the fountain, around the carousel, and through Boardwalk) is half a mile.  Yeah, huge.  I didn't think it was that far.

Then again, I'm biased since I've never liked open-toed shoes.  I'd even go with severe dislike.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 04:39:40 PM »
I'm always amazed at the footwear we see at Disney World.  High heels, flip flops, slippers - everything!

Offline coastermom

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 04:44:22 PM »
I only ask because there are those types of days where the little one likes to ride congo rapids and anyone who has ridden and then walked around all wet in sneakers knows how that can be. ...YUCK ...
 I also kind of perfer open shoes in the summer . I guess we will have to do the shoe swap in a backpack and locker thing . Which will only be on a few rides anyway Batman ,medusa and nitro are the only ones that I can think of . I won't need a locker though as my little one can't ride the big rides anyway .... Not yet but boy does he want to be 48 inches in the worst way . i think he just makes 46 now .

Offline Gordon Bombay

• ME
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 11:57:55 PM »
Woah, sorry it took me so long to get back to these boards, it seems from reading preliminary reports from Six Flags over Georgia and talking to some friends who went opening weekend Six Flags has some crazy new locker policy. Lockers are a dollar for two hours, absolutely no loose articles, and if you don't claim your stuff once time is up security is supposed to dispose of it. Looks like if I make it out to GADV this summer I will have to divide time between riding rides then returning to the car to get the camera and shooting for a bit.

Don't know if any of you guys are really into photography or cameras but I just got my new DSLR (replacing my Olympus E-500):

Canon 40d with the Sigma 28-70mm 2:8 lens

The new camera with the 70-200mm 2:8 lens

I'm really hoping to get up to the the park this summer, especially with this new gear. My ideal goal would be to go up; stay with family, check out the Jones Beach Air Show in NYC, and visit GADV sometime in the mix.

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 07:20:01 AM »
This was mentioned at the construction tour last week.
They said that the "flip flops" would be allowed to be left at the side for rides like Batman the Ride and Medusa.
Just your flip flops....not a stuffed bear wearing your flip flops.
No need to panic...They aren't going to make you walk barefoot through the queue.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 08:53:56 AM »
Mr. Bombay,  ;) I'll meet you at the park and carry your camera around for you.  While you ride,  I'll swap out memory cards for my own and take pictures while you ride. I could also take your on ride photo for you. I'm interested in buying a DSLR, and this would be a perfect time for trying one out, lol .  So,  if you're up for saving locker money pm me. I'd also be responsible if anything happen to said camera and pay you cash on the spot.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »

Bubba the Human Locker   ;) Great idea

Nice Camera :)

Always take a small point and shoot that can fit in you pocket in addition to your DSLR in case of those rare shots that pop up I'm sure you already have that covered.
Yo

Offline coastermom

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »
This was mentioned at the construction tour last week.
They said that the "flip flops" would be allowed to be left at the side for rides like Batman the Ride and Medusa.
Just your flip flops....not a stuffed bear wearing your flip flops.
No need to panic...They aren't going to make you walk barefoot through the queue.

Ok just my flip flops and not my bears in flip flops I get it . ;) .  Thanks .I really didn't think of walking through the queue without shoes I can really skip the ride instead . The only dissapointment there is Nitro other then that I would skip it instead of walking through any of those queues with out shoes. >>>YUCKIE THOUGHT .