Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Expedition Everest  (Read 8365 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Expedition Everest
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2006, 04:25:40 PM »
I?m not going to go crazy and write a full review of Expedition Everest.  Several other authors have already done this and are much better at it than I am anyway.

Instead, I?ll just share some thoughts and opinions on Disney Animal Kingdoms latest attraction and include some photos that aren?t completely identical to others I?ve already viewed online.

Let me start by saying this isn?t the type of attraction that will cause enthusiasts to flock to Disney World.  Enthusiasts would probably be best to spend their vacation days running around the country to ride El Toro, Voyage, Kentucky Rumbler, Goliath and Tatsu (Sorry if I missed a few in the US that are worth visiting!)

EE is a coaster like The Mummy at Universal Studios in that it uses special effects, HEAVY theming and a story (or lack-there-of) to make it a complete attraction.  Tourists will eat this up.  I guarantee it.  The level of detail here is simply unbelievable.  I think what also impressed me is the level of quality I saw and felt in the coaster itself.  The ride, the trains, the lap bars, the lift hills, and everything else that made it work had a certain precision quality about it that made you feel as though it was the Lexus of coasters.  The Mummy and even some B&M?s didn?t even feel this solid.  It will be interesting to see how this ?new? Vekoma holds up over time but they are really onto something here with their new track and wheel assembly design.

The ride itself was just that? a ride.  I wished it was more thrilling and longer.  But the average visitor will probably think it was too thrilling and LONG ENOUGH!  The trick track that allows the train to travel in reverse can really catch you off-guard and the reverse fall is actually rather fun.  In fact, the entire ride is FUN.  Not overly thrilling but fun.  The first encounter with the Yeti is through a projected shadow.  I thought this would be cheesy but somehow, Disney even made this look impressive.  THEN, the worlds largest animatronic attacks the train? THIS part is simply unreal.  I can?t even fathom the amount of time and money that went into creating this Yeti.  It?s just a shame you only see it for about 3 seconds.

I?ll post more thoughts as they come to me but feel free to ask away about anything else.  As for the videos out there, don't even bother going by them.  They simply cannot do this ride justice.  Its a total experience that you have to be there for.  Sorta like watching a video of Spiderman at IOA, pointless...

Here are a few photos I took while walking through the queue and after I exited the ride.  I didn?t take any on-ride photos since I knew there were already plenty out there.

(Warning: these pictures are rather large and may take a while to load.  They would also be easier to view in 1280x1024 res)

Here I am learning the night-modes on my new camera:

As you can see, the level of detail was sometimes a tad extreme:

Offline OrlandoRocks

• Carousel
Expedition Everest
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 09:41:28 PM »
Very cool Wade.
What would you rate it out of 1-10 (10 being the best) ?
I was down there from the 24-26 and was denied access to the ride since I am not a AP or a DVC member.  :evil:  Oh well I try to catch a ride in a couple months. I'll be back on this site more often since Everest is practically finished and ready to run.

Next stop El Toro !
59 days till opening day !

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Expedition Everest
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 10:53:12 PM »
Thanks for the review Wade. Glad you had a great time.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Expedition Everest
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 11:47:17 PM »
Nice review Wade. I am really due to go back down to Florida!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Expedition Everest
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 08:47:48 AM »
Quote from: "OrlandoRocks"
What would you rate it out of 1-10 (10 being the best) ?

If I were going by what it is, a attraction designed to please the GP and tourists, I'd give it a 9.  There are a few shortcuts I noticed that sorta surprised me.  Otherwise, this would have been a 10.

When looking at from a coaster point of view, I would only give it a 6.

You have to respect what they did though because if it were any more thrilling or extreme, they would probably end up with a majority of park goers avoiding it.  (can you say Mission Space?)

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
Expedition Everest
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »
Yeah, from the sounds of it, it seems to fit right in with what Disney is looking for, and what their guests want.  It is always a matter of perspective, different parks have different guest needs and wants, and each park has to play to that particular crowd.  A park like, say Astroland, could never get by with a tame ride like EE, whereas, AL's Top Spin would not go over well in Disney.
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!

Offline sfgadvfreak

• Affiliate
  • Jolly Roger
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
Expedition Everest
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 06:56:17 PM »
"Scat"   LMAO!

Nice update.  Can anyone find the logo without it being the media video?
Great Adventure...taking over the world one record at a time.

[img width= height=]http://downloads.thestreetnetwork.com/LessThanJake/LTJBanner2.jpg[/img]