Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: No more Peanuts at Mall of America  (Read 3299 times)

Offline sir clinksalot

• Autobahn
No more Peanuts at Mall of America
« on: January 10, 2006, 11:40:54 AM »
http://www.startribune.com/535/story/172686.html

'Peanuts' gang is pulling up stakes at Camp Snoopy

The Mall of America will lose Snoopy and the rest of the "Peanuts" characters because it couldn't reach a licensing agreement.

As Snoopy once said after falling off his doghouse, "Life is full of rude awakenings."
The Twin Cities will get one nine days from now when Camp Snoopy leaves the Mall of America and takes the entire "Peanuts" gang with him.

The Bloomington mall said Monday that several months of negotiations over the "Peanuts" brands ended without an agreement, which means the seven-acre amusement park will no longer be called Camp Snoopy.

Mall officials said they had hoped to retain the name, given that creator Charles Schulz was born and grew up in the Twin Cities. "It was part of Minnesota folklore," said Julie Hansen, a spokeswoman for the Mall of America. "We're sad to see it go."

Hansen said the mall hoped to find a new theme "in the near future," but visitors to the mall Monday said they had a hard time imagining the amusement park without Snoopy and the gang.

A huge, inflatable Snoopy stands at the center of the park, and children can ride with Snoopy in his World War I biplane.

Surrounding the rides are a half-dozen shops that sell "Peanuts" merchandise. Schulz is memorialized with a bench featuring Snoopy and Woodstock sharing a cookie.

Patrick Adams, 5, looked visibly sad Monday as his mother, Angela, explained to him that Snoopy was decamping. "It looks like he's waving goodbye," said Patrick, pointing up at the front paw of the inflatable Snoopy.

Former operator owns rights

The mall lost the right to use Camp Snoopy and the "Peanuts" brands last March, after it took over management of the giant indoor amusement park from Cedar Fair, a Sandusky, Ohio-based company that operates seven theme parks nationwide, including Valleyfair in Shakopee.

Cedar Fair has the exclusive right to use "Peanuts" characters at its U.S. theme parks under an arrangement with United Media, the New York licensing and syndication agency for "Peanuts."

Hansen, the mall spokeswoman, said the mall wanted to keep the "Peanuts" theme alive, but it also wanted to promote the park in key markets. "It was one of the sticking points" in negotiations over the use of the brand, Hansen said. "Cedar Fair wouldn't let us advertise the park the way we wanted to or needed to in order to promote the business."

'Exciting new brands'

In a statement issued Monday, the Mall of America said it was in negotiations with "exciting new brands" and expected to make an announcement about the park "very soon." In the interim, the park will be referred to as "The Park at MOA" and will remain open. All Camp Snoopy tickets and coupons will remain valid.

The change comes at a time when Charlie Brown and friends are undergoing something of a revival. The animated television special, "A Charlie Brown Christmas," attracted 15 million viewers on Dec. 6, the most in the special's 40-year history. Advertisers paid as much as $200,000 for each 30-second spot during the special, which scored the highest ratings of any show on the night it aired.

According to Forbes magazine, Schulz has become the second-most-profitable "dead celebrity," with only the estate of Elvis Presley collecting more. In 2004, the Charles M. Schulz Creative Associates earned about $35 million, largely from the sale of thematic clothing, toys and stationery.

Camp Snoopy was particularly popular with tourists, who would often cite Camp Snoopy as their primary reason for visiting the mall. This summer, two Japanese tourists were married at the Mall of America as part of a trip to Camp Snoopy.

Mall officials said crews will work after hours to remove the "Peanuts" memorabilia by Jan. 19. Most of the rides will not be affected by the change because they aren't connected directly to a Snoopy theme.

"There are more than 30 rides, lots of food and plenty of things to do," Hansen said.
- Gregg

See my photo album here:

http://greggandkristi.smugmug.com/

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 01:20:05 PM »
I blame the Pentagon!

(Actually with Fort Monmouth closing due to the BRAC (and my Job moving with it!), it really isn't that funny! :()
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 03:13:45 PM »
Thats gonna be wierd. Is the theme park gonna close down or just be renamed? Who will own it?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 03:35:14 PM »
Quote from: "stew560"
I blame the Pentagon!

(Actually with Fort Monmouth closing due to the BRAC (and my Job moving with it!), it really isn't that funny! :()

Stew, will you be relocating with it or do you plan to look for something else?  That really sucks :(

The Onion article was well done though lol

Offline snowboard101

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 03:37:34 PM »
Acording to what stew posted I guess its being shutdown? I didnt read the whole thing though but thats what it sounded like.

I went there once and loved it there!  The pepsi coaster was alot of fun since it went all over the place.

El Toro Rides: 5   Kingda Ka Launches: 17

My Pictures

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 03:42:14 PM »
Mall of America is not closing down the park.  They simply lost the Peanuts licensing deal ;)

The park was managed by Cedar Fair and was using the licensing arrangement through CF to be allowed to call it Camp Snoopy and to use all of the charactors.

The mall itself has now assumed control of the park and can't used those licenses.

Offline stew560

• Jolly Roger
  • Disco Stu Doesn't Advertise!
    • Stew560's SmugMug
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
And my link was a joke. (The Onion!)

As for my job, I may be moving down to Aberdeen, MD (SFA!) or possibly Suffolk, VA (BGW!) That is how I rate where I am going to live, by what Parks are nearby! Honestly though, I shouldn't have to move for at least 4-5 years, so no immediate impact.
2009 Trips to GAdv: None Yet!
Bull Rides: (34) -- KKount: (65.5)
View My Pictures!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Offline sfgadvfreak

• Affiliate
  • Jolly Roger
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 03:53:35 PM »
Interesting...Camp America would be a decent name :lol:

Stew...hope for Suffolk...SFA isn't that charming.
Great Adventure...taking over the world one record at a time.

[img width= height=]http://downloads.thestreetnetwork.com/LessThanJake/LTJBanner2.jpg[/img]

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 03:58:24 PM »
id prefer virginia over maryland any day.. lol.

that kind of sucks theyre losing the whole snoopy thing.  Maybe six flags will buy them and put some coasters inside and brag about having the first ever full scale indoor park.

:D
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline blazzinmatt

• Parachute Training Center
    • MATTDONDERS
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 09:47:11 PM »
Six Flags is trying to own many records.

So I say Nick has something, on this one and SF will buy them out.  :P