Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Six Flags is now smoke free  (Read 4980 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Six Flags is now smoke free
« on: January 19, 2006, 09:38:19 AM »
I know some won't agree with me but IT'S ABOUT TIME!  This was a smart move IMO and something that has been needed for a long time.

From http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060119/nythd055.html?.v=1

Six Flags Announces That Its Parks Will be Smoke-Free Environments
Thursday January 19, 8:00 am ET  
Initiative is the Latest Element in Company's Commitment to Make Parks Family-Friendly

NEW YORK, Jan. 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Six Flags (NYSE: PKS - News) announced today a new company policy under which its theme parks across the country will become smoke-free environments. This measure is the newest element in the company's commitment to improving the family entertainment experience throughout the Six Flags system.

"Our mission at Six Flags this season is to enhance our entire guest experience -- and that includes doing all we can to ensure our parks are family-friendly," said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and CEO. "Making our parks smoke-free will be an enhancement to the quality of the Six Flags experience, and our guests will think so too -- nobody should be forced to dodge clouds of smoke when they're strolling through the park with their children. Designating specific smoking zones will allow for a cleaner, friendlier park atmosphere where families can enjoy spending their day."

This initiative expands on current park policy, which states that guests cannot smoke in children's areas, ride lines or waterparks. Designated smoking zones will be set-aside within each park to accommodate the parks' smoking patrons.

Six Flags is the world's largest regional theme park company.

Offline innervision

• VIP
  • Nitro
  • Holy atomic pile, Batman!
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 09:49:52 AM »
Finally, now the real trick to this is enforcing it. With all the rules they are putting in place they better get some security in lines, etc to enforce the rules.

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 09:50:35 AM »
I've only been a Non-Smoker for two years but, even when I did smoke I was annoyed by butts everywhere and worrying about my kids getting burned by someone walking with a cigarette in their hands. I think this is a good move and it does say they will still designate areas for the smoking patrons.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 10:30:33 AM »
YES!  I have "Sports Induced" Asthma, and on good days, smoke doesn't bother me at all.  I can stand in a room full of cigarette smoke (yes, that was a stupid move by me when I did) and be fine.  But on a bad day, just a little bit of the smoke is an irritant.  Knowing that the whole park is smoke free is something that I welcome a lot, and makes me feel more comfortable when it's a bad day and someone is smoking in a queue and I really need them to put out their cigarette.  I really hope that the park enforces this right off of the bat so that the presence of this rule can not be doubted.  They have to make their stance firm for this to work.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 11:10:24 AM »
I think they will need bouncer style security guards to make this work.

They will also need to reiterate throughout the park that this policy in effect and enforced.

A teenager telling a gangster to put out his smoke will likely result in nothing but laughter and some foul language.  I've already witnessed this before.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 12:13:51 PM »
About time, even though I don't know how much this could be cracked down on for a park as big as Great Adventure. I agree with this 100%.

Offline KingdaKaRuler05

• Monkey Around
  • Can't Stop
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 01:45:29 PM »
Great rule! I'm glad they finally decided to follow in the footsteps of some other parks, who have done this already. Very good move by SF and it will make the family environment even better.

I'm starting to like Shapiro... :shock:  :D

-KKR05
Under the bridge downtown...

1 VS. 100...Fridays at 8 on NBC!

Offline sfgadvfreak

• Affiliate
  • Jolly Roger
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 02:57:57 PM »
It's a good move by the park to clean up the atmosphere, but then theres a lot of parents who smoke and might get ticked off because of this.  I have my reasons for not liking, and liking this, but all in all, for a better atmosphere, it was a good move.
Great Adventure...taking over the world one record at a time.

[img width= height=]http://downloads.thestreetnetwork.com/LessThanJake/LTJBanner2.jpg[/img]

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 04:30:57 PM »
I personally feel as though the entire earth should be smoke free but we all know this isnt happening.

However its good to know that a park that calls itself the next big family park, went the way of banning it all together.  Great move.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 07:13:07 PM »
Paramount Parks did this last year.

And it was zealously enforced...for about three days.

After that, it was widely ignored.

Whether at Kings Dominion, Kings Island or Carowinds.

Just at the restriction in the Golden Kingdom at Great Adventure was widely ignored.

I don't see how they are going to enforce this.

I hope they do.

I just don't see how....

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 07:33:11 PM »
Quote from: "WadeJ"
I think they will need bouncer style security guards to make this work.

They will also need to reiterate throughout the park that this policy in effect and enforced.

A teenager telling a gangster to put out his smoke will likely result in nothing but laughter and some foul language.  I've already witnessed this before.

It is no better when the adults try to tell anyone to put it out. I love the new idea but we need like 1,000 new security guards to enforce it here . It may work better in the friendlier states but i don't see it being a big hit here .I think it will "go up in smoke"  :lol: (bad attempt at humor)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 10:15:28 PM »
/\ Thats gotta be the 3rd bad joke this week LOL    They are needed sometimes though  8)

IF, and thats a BIG IF they actually set up smoking "sections" similar to how Disney did, this could work.  True smokers usually don't mind if there is something reasonable setup for them.

I agree though, it will be very tough to enforce with younger crowd.

Offline coasterbruce01

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 10:34:04 PM »
I haven't had a smoke in 3 years going on 4 , so the policy won't be affecting me. I do see some patron friction on the way though. I can see the first time a security guard says to a male patron, excuse me will you put that smoke out , and that male patron responding with colorful metaphors.

It's a good idea , but trying to enforce it will be a nightmare. In buildings and ride lines and Kiddie Land it can be enforced rather well , but going up to someone with one going and telling them you will be arrested if you don't stop smoking , it won't be pretty.

I will use Great Adventure as a example , and I'm not picking on the park, it's one of my favorites parks to visit.

Just imagine a New Yorker that has driven all the way to the park , with kids screaming all the way, all he/she wants to do is have a quick smoke , and they are told by security , you can't smoke that here , what will be their reaction ?

Factor in the New York attuitude , see my point   :-)

Suggestion for Six Flags , Make the Smoking Area Signs real big , so they can be pointed too.

I'm just trying to figure where the smoking area in SFNE is going to be.

There's my 2 cents

Bruce......................................

Offline Nozzy

• Jungleland Express
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 12:57:50 AM »
The easiest way would be to not allow cigarettes in the park at all, but I can't see that happening.  As long as people have them availible they will smoke in lines.  The intention is wonderful and I would be overjoyed if this were true, but I can not see any way for this to happen and stay.

If I'm wrong I'm probably the happiest person here :D
Still alive, contrary to popular belief.

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 12:04:44 PM »
I like the idea as it will help clean up the park.  I am sure, as other parks have done, they will set up designated areas for smokers.  It will be difficult to enforce, however.

With all these new rule changes and price increases, opening day should be real fun to watch.
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
    • GreatAdventureHistory.com
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 12:29:27 PM »
While it won't be easy to enforce the policy, it's not impossible with commitment from the top person in the company to the 15 year old street sweepers.    IF the new management can get that kind of commitment from employees again (which they need to do if the company, let alone the no smoking policy is going to succeed), then it means instead of one employee enforcing park policy while 9 others ignore guest infractions EVERYONE will be reinforcing the "Clean, Safe, Fun" idea.

That is the way the park used to run.    Every employee knew it was their duty to help enforce the rules, not just Security.    One of the reasons why service at the park has dropped off over the years is that kind of enforcement of rules even for employees has been allowed to slip.   If the employees are allowed to bend and break rules, why should they enforce guest rules?

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 02:29:03 PM »
Quote from: "WadeJ"
/\ Thats gotta be the 3rd bad joke this week LOL    They are needed sometimes though  8)

IF, and thats a BIG IF they actually set up smoking "sections" similar to how Disney did, this could work.  True smokers usually don't mind if there is something reasonable setup for them.

I agree though, it will be very tough to enforce with younger crowd.

I did say it was a BAD attempt at humor :lol:

I do hope it works but i do have to say as a new yorker that is not a potty mouth in the parks there are many that are and it is NOT just the NY people either NJ and PA have plenty of their own.