Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Some Clarification from Shapiro...  (Read 21013 times)

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
Some Clarification from Shapiro...
« on: January 27, 2006, 09:56:45 AM »
http://www.dailyherald.com/story.asp?id=147698

"?Understand, we are not doing away with new roller coasters completely,? he said. ?But, spending $50 million of our $150 million capital improvement budget on a roller coaster doesn?t leave much to run the park.?

Maybe we are prematurely getting upset? LOL

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 12:42:24 PM »
?While Mr. Six brought us great awareness, we aren?t sure exactly what he represents yet,? Shapiro said. ?We will find a way to use him, but not make him the headline as the park did in the past.?

haha.. hes listening.  This is grreat news.

By the way.. he likes SFOG more than GADV.  I dont think he complimnted our park at all..
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:38:01 PM »
Did he visit Great Adventure yet?  I didn't see any news articles about it, and he's been getting a bit of press wherever he goes.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 02:16:17 PM »
If he did, there were no articles about it.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 02:50:48 PM »
Quote from: "rjholla2003"
Did he visit Great Adventure yet?  I didn't see any news articles about it, and he's been getting a bit of press wherever he goes.

yes.. i believe he did visit the park

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 08:00:09 PM »
There are times when no news is good news...

Offline sfgadvfreak

• Affiliate
  • Jolly Roger
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 01:00:54 PM »
This news though will mean that if we do get coasters in the future, it may just be one or two parks a year getting them untill the revenue increases.  That, or, when we get coasters they will be smaller then we are used to. *cough* Impulse *cough*
Great Adventure...taking over the world one record at a time.

[img width= height=]http://downloads.thestreetnetwork.com/LessThanJake/LTJBanner2.jpg[/img]

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 04:53:17 PM »
Impulses are great, IF the hold brake is put on them and stays on them....

Cedar Fair saw fit to take the hold brake off Steel Venom (fka Superman) at Geauga Lake (fka Six Flags Worlds of Adventure fka Six Flags Ohio).  Sigh.

The ride experience is no longer what it once was.

Then there is Wicked Twister, which never HAD one...

Sigh.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 05:01:54 PM »
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/13746468.htm

Things like:
"There will not be a day when you see less than 25 characters back in the park," said Shapiro, adding that kids like having their pictures taken with these action heroes.

are perfefctly fine with me.  I still like a lot of what I hear.

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 05:14:37 PM »
^if they can get enough staff to do it. They can't get sufficient staff to operate all the rides in the park, much less put 25+ characters outside all day.
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline GAcoaster

• Jungleland Express
    • GreatAdventureHistory.com
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 05:56:14 PM »
^ That's part of the overall idea of what he's proposing though...proper staffing levels.

Having worked at the park for many years I can tell you, staffing was always a challenge, but it was always made worse by corporate.   In the beginning of the season they are short staffed and use TONS of overtime to keep things running.   Then, by mid-Summer, they end up having to cut hours all over because they've blown their budgets, and corporate management wants to bring costs back in line.  

If corporate is serious about making things work, they will have to be committed to spending the money for adequate staff ALL THE TIME.   Raising ticket prices actually goes a long way to help this.

Shapiro says he's committed to fixing things, and I'm sure he'll understand that this kind of staffing requires a commitment of money for staffing, as well as incentives to retain staff.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 06:10:17 PM »
Quote from: "rjholla2003"

Things like:
"There will not be a day when you see less than 25 characters back in the park," said Shapiro, adding that kids like having their pictures taken with these action heroes.

are perfefctly fine with me.  I still like a lot of what I hear.

I agree. Borrowing ideas from disney is perfectly fine with me. What little kid doesnt like taking pictures with characters?

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 07:25:21 PM »
Quote from: "GAcoaster"
^ That's part of the overall idea of what he's proposing though...proper staffing levels.

Having worked at the park for many years I can tell you, staffing was always a challenge, but it was always made worse by corporate.   In the beginning of the season they are short staffed and use TONS of overtime to keep things running.   Then, by mid-Summer, they end up having to cut hours all over because they've blown their budgets, and corporate management wants to bring costs back in line.  

If corporate is serious about making things work, they will have to be committed to spending the money for adequate staff ALL THE TIME.   Raising ticket prices actually goes a long way to help this.

Shapiro says he's committed to fixing things, and I'm sure he'll understand that this kind of staffing requires a commitment of money for staffing, as well as incentives to retain staff.

I have to say I agree it all sounds good on paper BUT will there be money to pay for it and will the people be there to staff the rides never mind the characters . To me all rides should be up and running. i hate to go to any park when too many rides are down makes me not want to return . just my two cents

Offline Nitro1118

• Sky Ride
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 07:29:26 PM »
There will definately be enough money for it as they are gonna stop adding major rides for a LONG time (unless they are smart and realize when attendance drops that it is due to lack of new additions).

I am a fan of all these ideas except not adding major rides every 2-4 years to the big 4, and to a lesser extent, the other parks. Coasters are what makes SF unique and an edge over a lot of aprks. If they can get customer service and park quality to improve with the thrill rides, SF as a whole will be a winner and up there with Paramount and maybe even Busch one day.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 08:59:15 AM »
http://tinyurl.com/8xh4u

Every article about Shapiro has something new that I like.  For example, the full-time bathroom attendants at the parks is something I welcome.  I'd really like to follow him for a day, just to hear what he has to say and see how his thought process goes.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 10:05:49 AM »
Most of the regulars here know that I'm a big Disney dork.  But there are some things I start to notice and compare after visiting Disney 6 + times a year and full-time bathroom attendants is one of them.  Alright, so they may not be IN there everytime you go but there are CM's assigned to bath "areas" which includes trash cleanup in the surrounding area, etc. and it makes a HUGE difference.

I'm beginning to think that Shapiro is actually a big Disney park fan himself(Afterall, he did come from the Disney company).  Tons of these ideas are being pulled right out of Disney parks and this is yet another one that could work well.  The charactors being everywhere and more widely used, photo opportunities and designated smoking areas are more of the things that work well for Disney.

Offline Cyclonic

• Insomniac
  • Global Moderator
  • Enchanted Teacups
    • Penncoasters.com
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 12:01:47 PM »
I agree with you to an extent.  I think it would be great if SFI could make changes that would make the parks more like Disney park, however there is on part of the equation that I think Shapiro is missing, and that is the guests.

The same people could go to Disney and SF parks and look at each park differently.  For Disney they are spending thousands to visit, spending a week or more of time, and only do it once every few years or much more.  It is a major investment, and people treat it as such.

SF is different.  It is the local park.  While it is not cheap to visit, it is a whole lot less then going to Disney.  Further, they go every year, or more often.  This makes a huge difference in how people view the park.

I think if SFI wants this to work (and I think they do, as I do), they are going to have to take a hard line on their policies.  They are going to have to back their people up and enforce the rules.  I hope they can pull it off, but it won't be easy.  Then again, things worth doing are rarely easy.
The world is coming to an end, I've actually created a blog!

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 12:51:40 PM »
I for one dont want that mentality of the local park to go away.  This place is my home when i get a free minute to go ride a coasrer i head right up the turnpike.

Its going to get too expensive for me to do this..

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 01:02:27 PM »
These price increases are certainly going to effect me and my family but, it is still going to be the cheapest form of Spring/Summer entertainment in NJ IF, you buy the season pass and, parking pass. I can't go to the boardwalk more then one time during the on season because one day there adds up to the price of a Gadv season pass that let's me go to gadv all summer. Movies? That's expensive. The Zoo and, the Aquariums would cost us close to $100.00 just for a one day three hour visit.

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 02:14:10 PM »
If you want to go to the boardwalk you got to buy the all day ride wristbands or go during Easter and get the ticket books for a discounted price.

Offline 68CamaroGuy

• Koala Canyon
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 02:15:46 PM »
If the price increases mean things will be run and staffed at full capacity then it would be worth it. Hopefully that would also cover keeping things clean and beautified as well.
With enough desire , dedication , dicipline and determination anythings possible.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 03:52:02 PM »
I agree with RJ. I think we all hated the fact that Snyder took over Six Flags but him appointing Shapiro was the best thing because we are going to improve our parks tremendously. I can deal with the no coasters for atleast 2-3 years. Hopefully it wont go longer then that. But shapiro is pulling things straight out of disney like wade said. And obviously disney is ever so popular so since they work there, they should work here as well with the proper staff. Besides the fact of the price increases of tickets like Diana said, GADV is all for the better with Shapiro and his thought process.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 04:25:07 PM »
Good point on the regional park issue Nate.  It makes you wonder... do they want ALL parks (that they actually plan to keep) to become more of a destination?  Will Six Flags keep their smaller parks?

I know they had hoped to turn at least some of these larger parks into year round destinations.  Some of these ideas would seem to back that up.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 05:40:21 PM »
^Most likely SFMM since that is open year round mostly.

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 06:35:55 PM »
WEll he just heard that 2006 will mark the end of atleast one SF park.  Why not an end to the other smaller parks in years to come?

Personally, i would love to see the small parks thrive again.  Things like coney island, which is not a chain.

Thanks like clementon park have sadly dissapeared thanks in part to chains like SF.

But more relevant.. Do you think they truly want to turn GADV into a year round destination?  I suppose it is possible, sort of like hershey with the winter fests and whatnot going on.