Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Magic Kingdom hits phase 4 closure!  (Read 2033 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Magic Kingdom hits phase 4 closure!
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »
It's easily been over a decade since this has happened but MK @ WDW hit absolute capacity which means NOBODY gets in.  No resort guests, no AP's, nobody.  I've been there over two New Years Eve's and July 4th and hit phase 2 every time.  Let me tell you that 2 1/2 hour waits for nearly every main attraction and even worse, 1+ hour lines just for food is no fun so I can't even imagine this!  Yikes :o

And go figure, they recently laid off a ton of cast members.  The only thing I can think of is they under estimated the response to their buy 4 nights get 3 free deal and perhaps also something with the timing of Spring break. ???

I found the news here - http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=426433

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
Re: Magic Kingdom hits phase 4 closure!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »
Ok, wow.  I didn't even know that they had different phases for the closures at the parks while working there.  All I knew was that it would close period.  If I only experienced a phase 2, I wouldn't want to experience a phase 4.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »
Yup, phase 2 was just insane.  You couldn't move anywhere.  A trip to the bathroom literally took 30 minutes.  Basically, you camped out in one area and enjoyed people watching until the fireworks started.

This year we switched to EPCOT so we could at least enjoy an alcoholic beverage while waiting it out lol

One of the members in that thread posted the criteria for each closing phase.  Apparently Hollywood Studios came just as close to closing as well today.  I don't think EPCOT ever could just because of it's insane size and Animal Kingdom, well, wishes it could hit phased closings lol.

EDIT:  Just found the post.  Here are the phases:

Phase 1: Guests with Magic Your Way base tickets, one day tickets, guests with no admission, and CMs using a main gate are turned around at the Auto Plaza.

Phase 2: Only resort guests, AP/PAP, Park Hoppers, guests re-entering the same park admitted, ONLY if using a taxi or resort transportation. (Auto Plaza is closed)

Phase 3: Only resort guests and AP/PAP admitted. (Only resort transportation)

Phase 4: Closed to all guests. (No incoming transportation)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 08:43:30 PM by WadeJ »

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »
wow   :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: :headbash:

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »
Wow, I heard about this but didn't know how legit it was since I was just told a few weeks ago that they won't close the gates anymore ever since that riot in Japan or wherever. I was there on a Friday (MGM) last week and it was busy, but no where near as busy as Christmas time... hopefully this week coming up wont be like that with Matt flying down.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline chilled182

• Affiliate
  • Spinmeister
    • http://www.eastcoastcoasters.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 11:18:25 AM »
This is the week where every school in south Jersey goes down for 5 days.  Mix that in with your 4 days and 3 free and you get some serious amounts of people down there.
www.eastcoastcoasters.com
It's an East Coast Thing!

Offline WDWorldFan

• WDWorldFan
    • http://ThemeParkRider.webs.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 11:21:47 PM »
It's rare, but it does happens a few times a year - especially during Easter/Spring break and between Christmas and New Years.  Little known fact is if you are staying on property at one of the WDW resorts you can get in - even when the parks are closed (due to crowd control) - just show them your resort hotel key.  But then again, why would you want to get in when it is shoulder to shoulder?  Go back to the pool and swim!
Like theme parks? Then check out - http://themeparkrider.webs.com