Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: PHOTO TR: A new era at SF America  (Read 3681 times)

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
  • Great American Scream Machine
    • My Smugmug Gallery
PHOTO TR: A new era at SF America
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »
Six Flags America opened the same weekend as Great Adventure and AVMatt and I joined Kevin and Emily in a visit to their home Six Flags park.

Kevin and Emily

Matt picks out a map

Kemily studies it

Here are a few of the things new at SFA-

Thomas Town will be new for 2010

For you brown building fans

NEW Coldstone

NEW 3 Point Challenge for 2009

NEW Johnny Rockets

Two Face: is gone

Dr. Doom is open!

The games employees were VERY enthusiastic, and most convincing! (I almost played wack-a-mole.)

Our first ride of the day was Wild One

The seat belts on the sides of the train were a little small, but the attendants went above the call of duty to make sure everybody was in!

It was less furious than my ride last May since it was warmer then and I rode it late in that day, but it was smooth and fun.

Here we are going up The Tower of Doom! The operator tells us that nobody ever comes back alive.

You know... I'm not going to touch that!

Sell outs

John Winkler, the President of the park, came up to me while I was taking photos and told me about the changes he was making in the park. One of differences  was opening the train

John worked at Great Adventure for 8 years and used what he learned and brought it to SFA; The employees were much friendlier and energetic than the previous season.

We saved the Falling Star for a later time. Maybe June.

A view not seen often by the everyday guest

The picnic area

Ultra Twister (We remember this, right?)

Superman Ride of Downtime (It's been closed on my last three visits)

Joker's Jinx was the open coaster in RCT Gotham Land

We passed on the water rides, but all four of them were open! Here's Penguins Blizzard River

All of their flat rides were open, such as Pirate's Flight

We went to Roar

The crew wasn't helpful like Wild One's

Three of us would ride and one of us would be told we were too big

This ride performed the best it ever had for me and was the best GCI I'd ever ridden.

We rode the High Seas!

It wasn't very high. I had gotten out of line because there were two separate entrances and only one place to load. After being told that we could not wait for the top row at SFGAdv the day before, I was not going to wait for the bottom row. Thankfully, the group that bypassed us at the other entrance couldn't figure out how to board, and we took the row that we all had eyed.

Then we went over to Coyote Creek and rode The Rodeo

The cows bucked intensely at times. We stayed on for a reride.

I tried to talk Kevin and Emily into a ride on the bumper cars, to no avail.

The cars were a little on the slow side, but I had my back straightened out after a crash into the wall.

Matt thought he might get me on the worst steel roller coaster but I talked him out of it.

There was no need for him to learn that all SLCs are not the same with my head

We rode the Octupus.

We started spinning and the G's were intense. I think my yelling distracted the operator and we came to a slow stop.  He told us that we had to wait for a restart and we eventually started a new cycle. The ride only lasted 30 seconds, but Matt believed it was the best flat ride experience in the Six Flags chain. I thought it was  comparable to Great America's Fiddler's Fling (Calypso) and Great Adventure's Jump.

We passed up a ride on the Flying Carousel

Saved the tea cups for another time

We took the bridge to Olde Boston

We had our fill and enjoyed riding the wooden coasters and the adult spin rides. We never felt like we were doing anything wrong by riding flat rides intended for adults. I thought the spin rides were better than the coasters we rode and much better than closed coasters. I don't see these type of rides as something that would almost bankrupt a chain of countrywide parks. The closed big steel coasters could have been a downer but we knew better than to wander into Gotham Fields. Had we ridden Mind Eraser, it would have been a sour end to our day.

It's pretty cool for the kids that they're adding Thomas Town. It's a strong brand and I look forward to seeing what they'll do with the area. I am curious if there current train will be involved.

I hope they have the tilt-a-whirl, swiss bob and enterprise in storage and use them in the future. They are some of the best rides in the Six Flags chain. Superman and Batwing have been closed on my last two visits. Two Face had been closed on my last seven visits to the park. 

On our way south, we stopped for breakfast at Waffle House an hour away, just past the boarder of Delaware. I never had the waffles and I thought they were pretty good. They weren't too thick, nor too dry. I only planned to have one plain with egg whites but our waitress was so friendly, she talked me into grits, toast and coffee!

Once we left the park and gassed up, we stopped at IHOP. We stopped here on our last visit to SFA and we remembered their cherry Coke was really good. Matt and I had a couple of rounds, most likely accompanied by french fries, chicken fingers, a turkey BLT or some form of cheese steak.. I had a Tuscan...Italian for very good...sandwhich. It had grilled chicken, roasted peppers, cheese and spinach.

After a couple of hours of driving I suggested a stop a Ritas. We have one across the street, but I was tired of driving and Matt found one via his GPS. On the way to Rita's, we saw a Little Ceasars. After Rita's we stopped back and split a pie. It tasted like food tastes when recommended by coaster enthusiasts. But it was a nice way to end the day.  :P

Here are more photos from our day
http://www.darkridedan.smugmug.com/gallery/7833358_FJvG8#P-1-15

Now, with more photos and commentary  ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:06:18 AM by darkridedan »
Prepare to weather the storm!
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline CycloneMan

• Houdini's Great Escape
  • Great Adventure where you're part of the fun!
    • North East Coasters
Re: PHOTO TR: A new era at SF America
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:04:32 PM »
I still say you should have ridden Mind Eraser! Who cares if it's the worst SLC EVER! I say it's the best ride in the park :P

Coaster Count: 255

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:07:07 AM »
^ Best ride, fail  :P    and Dan,  you didn't like pizza pizza ?    I still think the meanest ride-ops are those working Roar every year.  They should win an award!!

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »
The pizza was overrated.  ;)

I fixed those bad links and added more trip report. It can't be all photos.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:19:47 PM by darkridedan »
ROLLING THUNDER

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 01:42:35 PM »
Looks like a nice day at the park. Too bad everything wasn't open, again. Having never been to SFA and constantly hearing negative things about it, I think it looks like a really clean and spacious park based on your pictures.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
It's a nice park, I've never had a problem there.  OK, so maybe there are two things that bother me. The layout of the park sucks..and the ride-ops on Roar. Oh, and sometimes the line and load times on Batwing.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »
The layout is very much like Holiday World and Dorney park. You can walk down a long midway and not get to the big ride you're looking at.  It's a nice park. Some ride ops will try to ruin your day, but don't let them. Just continue to believe in capitalisim.   :o

Yes Bubba, whenever I'm in the Roar station, I feel like I'm in the middle of a drug deal. But it's a great ride!

ROLLING THUNDER

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »
The park is clean because no one goes there. And yes the load times on Batwing were terrible. And I thought I was going to die on Superman. And.. alright I'll stop, I didn't enjoy myself there though :/

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »
Seeing swings, bumper cars, a drop tower, pirates flight, Rodeo, a decent pirate ship, antique cars, a train, an octopus, falling star and two decently running and fairly well maintained (for Six Flags) woodies just makes me sick after seeing Great Adventure last week.  Sorry.  I know I'm being a downer but LOOK at those pictures!  We have a wide array of empty ride pads and an entire section that is closed off.  I really hope that things go well for them this season and the economy picks back up so that they can put this park back together again.

Nice trip report Dan.  I like SFA. It's always been the employees that I've had a problem with and it looks like they are finally trying to fix that.  And why not with the work force you can pick from these days being much better than years past!

This is exactly why I can still enjoy going to Cedar Point as well.  Somehow they have managed to keep, maintain and staff their flat rides and older rides; for the most part.

You have to wonder if they would have been better off just shutting down Kingda Ka for the year until the economy recovered.

Wow... that was kinda harsh wasn't it...

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 12:14:57 AM »
The park is clean because no one goes there. And yes the load times on Batwing were terrible. And I thought I was going to die on Superman. And.. alright I'll stop, I didn't enjoy myself there though :/
It looks like they have cleaned the place up in more ways than one. I also have noticed that Great Adventure too has  a much less Scary Crowd as regulars than it did a few years back.

Offline darkridedan

• Affiliate
    • My Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »
I never had a bad crowd at SFA, only bad ops. But I usually visit during the week. Kingda Ka seemed to bring in a better class of people to SFGAdv. The power of INTAMIN.  ;D
ROLLING THUNDER