Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Six Flags Fan Call!  (Read 1924 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Six Flags Fan Call!
« on: March 24, 2010, 06:15:56 PM »
Six Flags CEO Mark Shapiro recently held a conference call with fans (that our very own coastermom was able to be a part of!) and there was a lot of interesting information that came out of it. It sounds like Mark Shapiro was very open with the questions callers had, and everyone seems to have enjoyed the call. We do have a thread that was devoted to discussing the call right here.

There is a great summary and transcript of the call over at Theme Park Review, and I just wanted to read through it and post my own thoughts as well - especially with anything pertaining to Great Adventure!

First, I want to use their general recap:

•   This is set to be the first of many “super-fan conference calls” meant to connect the company with its guests.
•   The Cedar Fair/Six Flags merger-thru-Apollo rumor is completely untrue.
•   As of this morning (3.23.10), all Six Flags properties will offer the Six Flags Parent Pass, which serves as an equivalent to the child swap system. This change was promised by Shapiro after one caller brought up the issue that one park had the system, but another didn’t.
•   Despite its emergence from bankruptcy, things will not change with Kentucky Kingdom. Six Flags will no longer be associated with the park, but has agreed to leave everything as is besides its current inventory while the Kentucky State Fair Board looks at the site’s potential future.
•   Six Flags will launch an iPhone application in April for its guests as a social networking and GPS tool.
•   Six Flags is very much intent on using prototypical rides in its future.
•   Six Flags is in no way working with B&M to open a prototype attraction of any sort at this time.
•   Six Flags America’s Thomas Town is set to open on Memorial Day, but construction has been delayed due to the weather. Shapiro is pushing hard for an on-time opening.
•   Mark Shapiro expects Six Flags America to be considered for the title of “Best Park” in the Six Flags chain by the end of this year.
•   Six Flags looking into new ways to expand offerings within the parks like fireworks, parades, ride renovations and rethemes and more IP-based concepts (i.e. Terminator Laser Battle, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, etc…).
•   Contrary to popular belief, Six Flags does not have a formal ride rotation program.
•   Bamboozle Roadshow will be an up-charge event at the Six Flags parks
•   New shows will continue to be added to the parks
•   Season pass sales are doing very well right now, partially attributed to lowered prices
•   Planning for the 50th anniversary/2011 season is right on track
•   Don’t expect Flash Pass in the water parks anytime soon
•   The Dark Knight coaster wasn’t meant to be an intense experience, rather a family coaster
•   Six Flags turned down Warner Brother’s motion to create a Speed Racer attraction to tie in with the film
•   Six Flags TV has been successful and will get an expanded presence in the parks during the coming years.

Can't wait for that iPhone app. Supposedly it will let you see where you are in the park and nearby friends, that should be awesome.

So what else is from the call?

Q: Does the company have a plan to bring in, renovate or add new flat rides to parks like Great Adventure that are short on such rides?
A: “Currently our surveys show that the lack of flat rides hasn’t hindered our growth or attendance, but we will very likely continue to add new flat rides as it fits in with our policy of shaping a varied experience for the family to enjoy. New flat rides may not be advertised heavily, but they need to be introduced beneath the big name attractions.” They will look at doing this in the coming years.
Meh on this one. They don't seem to see a flat problem. Guess that needs to be pushed more.

Q: Are there any plans to fix the effects that are off on Congo Rapids [At Great Adventure]?
A: “I wasn’t aware of those issues but will definitely work with my team to determine what effects can be turned on or added to make that experience the one you and I remember it to be. I’m making a note of that now!”
Ha. I love that one. Whoever asked that question is amazing. And why hasn't Shapiro ridden it yet to see for himself?

“When you talk about entertainment, food and attractions, next to Magic Mountain, Great Adventure is the most varied and most of the other parks are measured up against it since it is a crown jewel in our chain.”
Nice.

Can't wait for another one of these, and I hope it helps things at the parks! And after reading that I'm glad that Shapiro is going to (most likely) be kept on as CEO even after the bankruptcy proceedings are over.

Thanks again to jedimaster1227 over on the Theme Park Review forums for writing up a transcript.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
Re: Six Flags Fan Call!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »
Yes I was a part of the call and it was I who brought up the parent pass system . I was extreamly impressed with Mr. Shaprio's intrest with this as well as other issues . I do hope that there is another Fan Call where more fans can interact with Mr. Shaprio .