Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Six Flags Great Adventure Celebrates Earth Day and Grows its Green Efforts  (Read 1490 times)

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
http://www.sixflags.com/greatAdventure/info/EarthDay2010_news.aspx
Six Flags Great Adventure Celebrates Earth Day and Grows its Green Efforts

Guests in hybrid cars will receive FREE admission through the Wild Safari
Six Flags Great Adventure will extend its “Go For Green” initiatives to guests April 24 in celebration of Earth Day.  The park will educate and inspire guests to join the commitment to protect, preserve and conserve the Earth’s wildlife and natural resources through interactive entertainment.   Six Flags will also extend free admission through the Wild Safari to all guests traveling in hybrid cars in celebration of Earth Day.

Last season, Six Flags Great Adventure & Wild Safari launched its “Go For Green” initiative to reduce electricity, fuel use and landfill waste.  The park also expanded its animal presentations beyond wildlife preservation by incorporating ways guests can help protect the Earth’s delicate eco-systems.  This season, guests will enjoy two newly-themed animal edutainment shows, Dolphin Discovery Team Green Beach Patrol and Temple of the Tiger: Year of the Tiger - Changing the Plight of the Ultimate Predator.

Six Flags Great Adventure recycles 61 percent of its waste stream and was granted an Environmental Stewardship Award by the NJ Department of Environmental Protection for its recycling efforts.  The park also converted diesel fuel vehicles to bio-fuel utilizing vegetable oil generated in Six Flags kitchens.  Additional proactive savings in energy consumption was achieved through the use of LED lamps and lights resulting in reduced indirect green house gas emissions from electricity consumption.

Other initiatives include:
Installation of low-flow, high efficiency water fixtures
Implementation of a Team Member Energy Conservation Awareness Program “Six Flags Unplugged”  to save energy
Through the Wild Safari Reforestation Project, more than 1,000 trees have been planted in the Safari from seedlings harvested from the Animal Park
The purchase of fuel-efficient vehicles to replace older models
Utilizing “green” vendors to produce printed materials such as map and guides and show schedules on recycled and FSC (Forest Stewart Council) paper with soy ink
Removal of all paper towel dispensers – replaced with energy efficient hand dryers
Use of water-saving plants and groundcovers
Additional recycling stations and bins through the parks

Earth Day Activities
Six Flags will extend complimentary admission through the 350-acre Wild Safari for the entire car load to eco-friendly guests who visit the park April 24 in a hybrid car.  Other Earth Day activities include a “Go For Green” contest hosted on the park’s Facebook page. Fans can participate in an Earth Day Scavenger Hunt that will highlight the park’s green focus with fun facts and clues with help from Six Flags’ Earth Day Green Team – 30 loyal scouts from The Girl Scouts of the Jersey Shore.  All participants that complete the scavenger hunt will be entered to win an Off-Road Safari Adventure VIP Tour for four valued at $600.

Six Flags will offer “Go For Green” wristbands made from 100 percent recycled silicone to guests that donate $1 to The Conserve Wildlife Foundation of New Jersey, a group that helps protect rare species in New Jersey’s habitats.
GET SIX FLAGS EMAILS
Join Six Flags Funatics and get everything from special offers to inside info on new rides and events.

Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
Cool .. Now why dont they make a hybrid mini van ??

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
I'm just picturing the flocks of Priuses that show up to get in for free only to start rapidly speeding up out of control and hitting the animals lol.

Good idea though. The entire chain has made huge improvements in this regard.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
That was the first thing I thought of...

Cool .. Now why dont they make a hybrid mini van ??

Just wait until 2016, all new cars under 2 tons will have to get 35 mpg+(I don't know whether it's city or highway).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:41:45 PM by B-mac »

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
No.  The corporate AVERAGE fuel economy of a manufacturer's car fleet must be 35.5.  There is no requirement that every car in said fleet get at least that mileage...and that will indeed not be the case.