Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Chiller Queue  (Read 4103 times)

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
Chiller Queue
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:31:03 PM »
 So yesterday my friend and I went back to Old Country. we saw the Chiller Queue. Why is it still there? It was cool how there were two holes where the track came out of the station.

**Also What were the two incedents that happend?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:46:43 PM by nitrorox1414 »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
Re: Chiller Queue
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:16:26 PM »
The park just left it there like the other rides in the old country. I don't think they're planning for anything in the area anyway.

**If this is what you're asking about the chiller,
1) the trains valleyed every once in a while in its first two seasons and they installed stairs in robin's Cobra Roll and where the barrel rolls were
2) People's ears would bleed with the OTSR's and they changed them I think in '01 for Robin and '02 for Batman

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »
they also had numerous incedents where the LIMs on the spike would overheat but that was resolved over the years. the three areas the trains valleyed were the barrel roll (hence the s-bend being installed), the low track in between the cobra roll and the barrel roll on robin and inbetween rolls on the cobra roll. come to think of it all these problems were on robin. batman ran just fine... before they stole its trains for robin... curse you six flags...

Intamin rhymes with win for a reason!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »
The short short version and the bottom line is that Chiller was a lemon.  Trust me, they didn't let it just sit there.  They pumped countless millions of dollars into and it still didn't work correctly.

Removing rides like this is how the park has been able to see profitability once again (plus better ride up time). 

No ride should be sitting in a park SBNO which is why Old Country is closed off.  And you never know, with the recent changes coming out of bankruptcy, maybe some of these rides could make a comeback?

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:18:19 PM »
I miss Spinmeister  :'(

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:13:33 PM »
Hmmmm.

Son of Beast is currently closed.

Different park.  A moral of a story, perhaps?

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 10:23:57 PM »
I wonder why Batman and Robin had so many problems with the LIMs while the spaghetti bowl clones (poltergeist, joker's jinx) and the Mr. Freeze clones are still in operation. I am sure they all had problems with the LIMs at some point, but they are still running today and I don't really hear any problems with them.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 10:34:08 PM »
The spaghetti bowl clones, as you call them, had the Outer Limits: Flights of Fear at Paramount's Kings Island and Paramount's Kings Dominion as predecessors.  The early bugs were worked out there.

Chiller's track layout was of a radically different design, and was much more intense than any of them...from day one.

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 10:41:51 PM »
^Yeah, I understand how the layout is much different which is part of the issue causing the trains to valley. I feel like a lot of the problems were blamed on the LIMs.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
To be as nice as I can be, Chiller, though one of my favorite rides, greatly contributed, along with Viper and to some extent Great American Scream Machine, to Great Adventure's then reputation of having some of the most violent, rough coasters in the USA.  Some would also add Rolling Thunder to that list.

Of course, that was before Son of Beast and Mean Streak and Texas Giant and Hercules gave all those coasters a run for their money in that department...

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 11:07:29 PM »
I miss Chiller...

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 08:00:01 PM »
I found Mean streak and Hurler far more violent than GASM and RT. I'm lucky I wasn't around for those other violent ones.

Offline srosnerules

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:47:07 PM »
Mean streak was an awful coaster. When I went to CP last year, I had to brace myself because it hurt so much. As for chiller, It was a great coaster when it was in operation, But factor in all the down time, and it wasn't worth the money when the park spent money on (I cant believe im saying this) The Dark Knight Coaster. It is a great family coaster, but many of us were disappointed with it as we lost Chiller and the MTWE.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 03:32:17 PM »
They tore out the water effect because it never had a line during a normal day. The only time it was actually popular was when it was 90 degrees plus and the park was packed.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 06:12:52 PM »
If I remember correctly, Water Effect had a lot of downtime late in life as well, which most likely led to it's demise. As for Chiller, other than the now-defunct Xploratorium, it's footprint is intact.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »
I love the dark knight. ;) It's great for getting undizzy after being flipped upside down a lot.

Offline kingdakafan

• Movietown Water Effect
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 10:08:51 PM »
Wait xploratorium isn't open this year?

Intamin rhymes with win for a reason!

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 11:12:45 PM »
Nope.

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 05:47:46 PM »
Why not? 

They should have a "Blast from the past" and open the line for the chiller. 

I just wish I got on the Chiller once just once :(