Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: RUMOR: Chang to replace GASM for 2011  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
RUMOR: Chang to replace GASM for 2011
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
So I saw M Forces shout regarding this, and I decided to take a look. This is posted on CoasterFusion:

We have received numerous reports of blueprints on site at Six Flags Great Adventure. These blue prints reveal that Six Flags Great Adventure will be home to Chang. We have learned this from a reputable source in management and were shocked to learn the details as we were talking about it our last time there.

Apparently both of the blueprints have Chang, the stand up coaster from Kentucky Kingdom coming to Six Flags Great Adventure. However, one blueprint will cost the park more money. Therefore, they have opted for blueprint one which is to remove The Great American Scream Machine and replace it with Chang. We have learned that this upcoming week is the last week for The Great American Scream Machine and anyone wishing to ride it should head to the park.

Blueprint two had the park placing Chang out by Congo Rapids, however, it would cost more money the placing it in a spot already home to a coaster.

Which leads me to believe that the park will begin dismantling Scream Machine as soon as it closes.

Now we have all heard Chang is heading to Six Flags Great America, however, eye brows raise when the park already has a stand up coaster. Which doesn't make any sense in the park having two stand up coasters? So this could very well be true. Six Flags Great Adventure used to be home to Shockwave a stand up coaster near the front of the park. It was later taken out and re-located to numerous parks.

If this is true which it most likely is, it will be a big deal just like the Big Bad Wolf. Mainly because most beginners to the roller coaster world have begun their love of coasters on The Great American Scream Machine. Plus it is a nostalgic Arrow Dynamics looping coaster containing 7 inversions. In 1989 The Great American Scream Machine broke records including fastest, tallest, highest loop, and most inversions. It was later beat by Magnum XL-200 located at Cedar Point.

Link

If this is true, I don't know what to think of this. It would suck to see GASM go, but in the long run it would only be a matter of time since Arrows are becoming obsolete.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 09:54:29 PM by Steve »

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
Re: RUMOR: Chang to replace GASM for 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 11:19:29 PM »
I have no bond with GASM so I gotta say Cool!

For those of you who do, my condolenses. ; )

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:53:13 AM »
I think it makes much more sense for GAdv to get a stand-up than GAm since they already have Iron Wolf which could be a fantastic ride again with some refurbishment. Great America is lacking the sit-down multi-looper in its lineup now. Maybe they should send Medusa/Bizarro there and call it Shock Wave' Revenge. ;)

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 06:47:48 AM »
Also form CoasterFusion:
We have confirmed with a supervisor in rides that Six Flags Great Adventure will be closing Scream Machine as of July 1, 2010. The ride is getting to old to find parts for, since S&S is only focusing on their new rides and the X coasters. The park will become home to Chang from Kentucky Kingdom which will replace Scream Machine.

The park has also decided to cancel the installment of the 5D attraction.
Construction was to begin in August on this new addition, however, the new management did not want to spend the money for this new ride.

When we asked this supervisor if the park would make an announcement, it said prolly not.
So if you are wanting to ride the coaster, I would get out there before it closes!

Anyone want to make a last trip to ride GASM? 
It is not a favorite of mine but all those loops did make for a pretty skyline.
So much for adding another flat to GAdv, I was looking forward to the 5D attraction.
Sounds like the 2011 plans are a CHANGing!

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:44:45 AM »
Man. I'm really not happy about this. If GASM is getting hard to get parts for.. ok. But to tear it down for a used coaster? Great.

On top of that.. don't announce anything and just close a 30 year old coaster next week? That's terrible. At least do what Busch did for Big Bad Wolf and announce last rides.

Finally.. the 5D cancellation.. ugh. If we were really getting that, and now we aren't and the Spongebob building is just going to sit and rot..

Good thing I'm moving to Florida next summer! This new management is rubbing me the wrong way already. I miss Shapiro :(
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:54:54 AM by jglonek »

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 09:25:31 AM »
So, were gonna have a huge empty building right next to a brand new coaster next year?

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 11:21:22 AM »
I may be in the minority here, but I’d be disappointed if this were true.  GASM may not be the best of coasters, but to me, all stand-up coasters are crap. 

If it is true, I also wish that the park would make an official announcement and allow people the chance to get last rides.  We’d definitely try to get there if that were the case, though it will be rather difficult since we’re away this weekend.

What will Axe Deodorant think of this?   ::)

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 11:34:16 AM »
On top of that.. don't announce anything and just close a 30 year old coaster next week? That's terrible. At least do what Busch did for Big Bad Wolf and announce last rides.

They wouldn't be closing a 30 year old coaster. GASM is 21 ;)

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 11:48:31 AM »

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 12:08:45 PM »

They wouldn't be closing a 30 year old coaster. GASM is 21 ;)

Look. Math is hard.

Hopefully it gets a nice big drink before it gets ripped down :(

Offline Ogolo

• Rolling Thunder
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 12:08:54 PM »

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 12:18:23 PM »
Not that picture again...

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 03:34:42 PM »
I would rather have a 5D thing then Chang. If this is true i will miss my rides on GASM

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 11:29:11 PM »
In any event, I haven't ridden GASM all season, so tomorrow I will be getting some emergency farewell rides just in case.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »
I made that picture lol last year.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »
We ended up with two active topics regarding Chang and Scream Machine and it would be easier to discuss them in the same thread.

So please continue the discussion over here :)

http://www.gadvoutpost.com/home.php/topic,3664.0.html

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
On a side note Superman opened today.