Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Great Adventure and Family  (Read 1183 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Great Adventure and Family
« on: August 20, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »
A nice little heart warming piece, that deserves to be read:

I just don't like roller coasters. But my 12-year-old son loves them. And I love my son. So every summer, we take a day and drive to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson, N.J. It's an adrenaline junkie's dream disguised as a family amusement park.

We arrive at the park on a sunny morning, and instantly I feel anxious — which is really just an adult word for fear. It's my son's day, though, so I let him choose where we go. I've offered to bring his friends, but he wants to go with me. I know there are precious few years left of that, so it becomes an experience we alone share.

We repeat the same pattern all day: Get in line and wait while my anxiety grows. Board the coaster as my panic peaks. And when the ride is over, I'm rewarded with his unrestrained smiles. Every smile is a gift for me....

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100820/FEATURES/8200338

wow, tearful...

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
Re: Great Adventure and Family
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:50:07 AM »
I'll  send in my Father, Daughter story next week about her midwest trip.  Oh, by the way, I heard "The Kingda Ka" is only 8 stories high.  Right Ken. lol

Offline DianaR

• Administrator
  • Congo Rapids
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:24:18 AM »
I can totally relate except of course I love the Roller Coasters! LOL. I am begining to have trouble re-riding though. I find myself getting nauseous the older I get :( . I LOVE seeing my boys smiles when they come off a coaster and I am at the exit waiting for them. In fact, sometimes I'd rather wait for that then ride the coaster with them. :)

This is what parks are all about to me. For years I have watched enthusiasts critique parks to death even when the visit isnt all bad. Those enthusiasts I feel sorry for. They obviously have been so miserable with life that even when they go, they forget the true magic of an amusement park. Times are tough and alot of people aren't happy but, I refuse to let that ruin my Happy place!

Steve U and I had an hour long discussion about this sitting on a bench in front of the Sawmill log flume one day. The conversation came to us as we were people watching and seeing the Happy Families excited to be riding the flume. Obviously these people remember how to escape the harsh realities of life!  ;D

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
I basically drive everyone in my family nuts for how many coasters I want to ride. I'mm thankful mom had the time this summer to actually do something other than work, she got fired in may btw.