Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: six flags fire department gone  (Read 6563 times)

Offline FFHayesJr

six flags fire department gone
« on: September 26, 2010, 05:19:42 PM »
Yet another cutback by our great park......As of sept 21st, Six flags disbanned their fire department.

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
Re: Six flags fire deparment gone
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »
Why ? I wonder if they are going to go back to the old days with dirty parks and rude people . Nasty employees and HUGE lines becasue the more I read the less I want to order those season passes for next year . Too many cuts and not enough information on WHY these cuts are heading to our park one of the best they have .

Offline nitrorox1414

• Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train
  • Arms Down Head Back Hold On!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 10:37:06 PM »
wait what do you mean they disbanned the fire department?

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:35:04 PM »
IF they did this, and I'm not sure as I haven't heard anything, I'm sure they would not have done it if it would cause any safety concerns for the guests or employees.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 07:48:46 AM »
If I recall, this was created after the haunted house fire (along with the water tower). It was discovered in that incident that it took quite a while for the fire departments to get in there and available water was a problem as well. Being secluded in the woods along with being such a busy area during peak times makes having their own fire department a necessity, not an option. Let's just hope this isn't true but unfortunately, I'm not sure why the op would have posted it in the first place if it wasn't.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »
Why ? I wonder if they are going to go back to the old days with dirty parks and rude people . Nasty employees and HUGE lines becasue the more I read the less I want to order those season passes for next year . Too many cuts and not enough information on WHY these cuts are heading to our park one of the best they have .

The new management is trying to make Gadv as much of a profit park as possible, hence the rumors of the safari and tiger exhibits' axing for the 50th anniversary due to cost-effectiveness. Honestly, they sort of are going about it in a very stupid way. It's like we worked for 10 years to make this one of the best parks in the east and it's all gone in the course of a winter. We didn't need a coaster and we got one, we needed flat rides and we aren't hearing anything about that. Hopefully the park won't turn into a complete dung-hole and I hope this 50th anniversary won't be sour.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 04:58:43 PM »
No worries.  It won't be just the coaster for next season and the 50th will be great :).

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »
And I hope that you're 100% right, but from the news that has been going through the site recently I'm not thinking the same way as you.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
I wonder who started the rumor about Safari being axed. That park has been more profitable in recent years then it has in a while.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »
Apparently when the tiger show was halted for the rest of the year someone with a big mouth yelled out, "IS THE SAFARI GOING TOO?!?!?!"

and then we got the "it isn't cost effective" statement apparently taken from the new GM's mouth. I know this should be taken with a grain of salt but it sounds just like it might happen in the near future.

Offline coastermom

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »
No worries.  It won't be just the coaster for next season and the 50th will be great :).

From your mouth to the Six Flags Gods ears . I really dont want to go back to the way the park was because in all honesty I will not return then . I think that Disney and Universal have spoiled me now LOL

Offline nitro55

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
I remember back in 99 when I started going, the park was rather dirty.  I think it was 06 that the park really picked up and started cleaning up, got new pant on rides and buildings, rolling thunder started running both side and the skyway has been running evey time I've been there.  Even on seasonpass day the last 2 years. Also, when is the next season pass day or coaster after dark?

ADMIN EDIT: I cleaned this up to make it legible and appropriate.  While a great discussion (and one I actually agree with), it has nothing to do with the Fire Department being disbanded.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:07:36 AM by WadeJ »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »
o and when is the next season pass day or coaster after dark

Oct. 1st is fall family fun night.
And yes, the park did start cleaning itself up when Mark Kane took over

Offline FFHayesJr

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 10:22:03 PM »
http://1stresponder.com/webpages/news/displayNews.aspx?PT=news&ID=7e02bf97-b9bb-4f40-a437-2876afd343fb

This is the article i read about the disbanning of the fire dept.

Also on the tiger show side, from what i understand and hear from inside sources is that two of the tigers have some sort of disease, i dont know the details. The other tigers have been moved to the safari.

Offline nitro55

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 11:56:21 PM »
what time do they open and close and thanks man

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 07:48:59 AM »
what time do they open and close and thanks man
And what does this have to do with the Fire Department being disbanded?  Please stay on topic.  There are plenty of places to get the hours including the home page.

Offline Dubya91

• Affiliate
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ma! The Meatloaf!
    • Who I Really Am!!
Re: six flags fire department gone
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 08:23:55 AM »
Wouldnt having a fire department keep the overall insurance on everything cheaper?
Your Reigning 2008 Updates Coaster Draft Champion!

[[image removed due to size restrictions]]

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 02:34:47 PM »
apparently they think they'll make enough profit next year that it wouldn't matter.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »
Forget cheaper...think life safety.  Fire departments are life safety departments first and foremost.  If it truly is going to take 20 minutes longer for a response, I would not want responsibility for this decision on my hands...especially if, God forbid, a terrible tragic fire were to strike Great Adventure.  Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  The only question is when.  Fire will happen one day.  Apparently those in power are hoping and praying it won't be on their watch.

I expected more from Al Weber than this.  This is truly short sighted, dumb and appears to put money ahead of safety.

I only hope this is not true.  If it is true, I have only a few words to say to those who made this short sighted decision:  Shame on you.

Offline coastermom

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 03:29:43 PM »
also if I do recall and I maybe wrong but soon after Superman opened I remember it being stuck for quite some time and I believe that the SF fire department was there to calm people and to help out . I am just thinking that god forbid there be a fire or even an accident on a ride where they need a quick response this could be a life and death decision and we will have to wait for the Jackson FD top get to the park ? Anyone know how far the Jackson FD is from the park ? any guess on how long the response time could be ? Too many lives at risk for this to be the place to cut in my oppinion .

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »
I remember Supe's opening day, there were people stuck on the lift hill for like three hours.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 03:45:13 PM »
...Jamison said it is a 14-mile round trip from the Cassville fire company’s main station to Great Adventure and a 22-mile round trip from the fire company’s Mill Road station to the theme park.

“As of last week when I spoke with Ed Zacker [safety risk manager at Great Adventure], he said Great Adventure no longer had a fire department,” Jamison reported. “There is no fire brigade over there, and anything that goes on in the park is dispatched as a fire alarm and has to be reported through 911 and is dispatched accordingly.”

http://tritown.gmnews.com/news/2010-10-07/Front_Page/Six_Flags_fire_dept_disbanded.html

Offline coastermom

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »
...Jamison said it is a 14-mile round trip from the Cassville fire company’s main station to Great Adventure and a 22-mile round trip from the fire company’s Mill Road station to the theme park.

“As of last week when I spoke with Ed Zacker [safety risk manager at Great Adventure], he said Great Adventure no longer had a fire department,” Jamison reported. “There is no fire brigade over there, and anything that goes on in the park is dispatched as a fire alarm and has to be reported through 911 and is dispatched accordingly.”

http://tritown.gmnews.com/news/2010-10-07/Front_Page/Six_Flags_fire_dept_disbanded.html

And this is suppose to make me feel safe there ? UGH I am thinking that the trip is way too far for them and we should have that SF FD ... I do hope and pray that there is never another reason for the park to need them because if anyone is in need of a FD and something goes wrong this will be the first thing the media jumps on . That is that the FD was cut

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 08:02:09 PM »
You may wish to click on the link and read the entire story...not that it makes the park look any better...

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
I see the issue with getting rid of it, but in reality how many other theme parks actually have a fire department? I think we were the only park in the chain that had one. Yes people are saying that they won't feel safe now, but when you went to SFNE or any other SF park did you feel safe?