Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: six flags fire department gone  (Read 6564 times)

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
Re: six flags fire department gone
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 08:50:29 PM »
Cedar Point has a fire department...and this summer it has had two fires...

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »
and everyone's saying the one on Mean Streak was sabotage so they had an excuse to build another one.

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 08:59:22 PM »
Also, Kings Island has a fire department.  Doug Kramer is the Chief, there:

http://www.wcfca.org/contact/contact.htm

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 10:27:56 PM »
The Asbury Park Press picked up the story, with quotes from former park firefighters and more union statements.

http://www.app.com/article/20101005/NEWS/10050343/Six-Flags-Great-Adventure-eliminates-its-fire-department
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 08:52:53 AM »
I know most other parks don't have one but you can't do such comparisons; which apparently is how the current management team works. Great Adventure is in a heavily wooded remote area and too far from the local fire department. Just the time to drive through to get to the actual park is far more than many other parks.

I'm actually not surprised Cedar Point has one as well being that they are in the same situation.

With all that said, I have to admit that guest safety may not be that much of an issue since so many rides have no structures and are outdoors. So instead of actual fires they'd likely be doing more stuff like assisting with stuck riders, etc.

I think we have 1 ride that people could become trapped in a fire... Houdini. And they seem to have taken evacuations very seriously for it already and put in the proper systems to prevent people from being trapped. 

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »
What can burn, and cause extra unnecessary damage at SFGA while it takes the first repsonders, Cassville fire dept, about 20 minutes to get to the front gate of SFGA then probably another 15 to get to wherever the fire is deep inside the park.. a lot of trees anywhere around the park on the edges, the picnic area, the entire closed off "old Country" as well as shops, El Toro and RT.. I don't believe there will be another "haunted castle" 1984 scenerio at SFGA since SFGA's own fire dept responded to it and it unfortunately was a simply a death trap not up to code, however no matter how SF PR spins closing their fire dept this year, at the isolated SFGA, it will never "look good or safe" when the media prints it for anyone to read. Essentially the money they "save" by getting rid of their internal fire dept. will be lost by parents and guests that think it's more unsafe as a result.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:19:19 PM by jimmybjammin »

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 07:23:04 PM »
So, Cedar Point has had yet ANOTHER fire (three this season):

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/2010/nov/10/sandusky-fire-dept-responding-fire-cedar-point

Is there a lesson in here for a Weber and a Reid-Anderson?

Wow, just wonderin'

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 07:53:34 PM »
Great adventure should be taking careful note of this. Hopefully they'll do the right thing safety wise.