Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Six Flags Thinking of Upcharging Fright Fest?  (Read 3446 times)

Offline jglonek

• Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • It's simple, we, uh, kill the Batman.
    • http://www.gadvoutpost.com
Six Flags Thinking of Upcharging Fright Fest?
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:52:10 AM »
Screamscape is reporting that surveys are being sent out to 2011 season passholders (I haven't gotten one yet, has anyone else?) asking questions that give the impression they are thinking of upcharging Fright Fest into a separate entrance ticket all together, like what Universal does with Halloween Horror Nights.

What do you guys think of that idea? Personally I think that there would need to be A LOT of changes, and additions, and improvements. Because right now I wouldn't pay extra to go there.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
Re: Six Flags Thinking of Upcharging Fright Fest?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:40:13 AM »
NO, it will just shatter what respect I have left from their poor decisions this year.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
  • El Toro
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 11:21:02 AM »
They can't do this. You keep FF free for all of these years, and then turn your back on the public and start charging. If they were to, they better go to Universal and do their homework. That is how a true park is ran.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 02:03:48 PM »
I'm just happy they're throwing the idea out now instead of doing it right before fright fest starts.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »
I'm on the fence with this.  IF, and thats a big IF, they decide to go the universal route, then keep the park open until maybe 6PM for the regular guests and season pass holders.  Then do a 6-7PM park clearing and reopen for FF from 7-1 or 2AM.  Otherwise, there is no way this will go over.  Although at least SFMM is open year round.  For us, it's a bit different because our season would basically be over in September.

I'm curious to see how this works out.  I'm all for it if they do a kick ass Fright Fest.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 06:35:49 PM »
When Bubba and I visited Canada's Wonderland two years ago, this is how it was done. We were there for the general admission until 5pm I believe. Then we left for dinner while the park was closed for a couple of hours. Then we returned and paid to get into their Haunt if memory serves. Honestly I don't have a problem with it, but they have to make it special and worth the added admission. As is Great Adventure's Fright Fest is a joke compared to Dorney's.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
Great Adventure's Fright Fest is a joke compared to most parks, not just Dorney. I agree with both Matt and Wade, if Six Flags wants to do this it BETTER BE SPECIAL.
[joking]We should have claws run around spamming six flag's facebook page again, lol.[/joking]

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »
I would pay upcharge to meet Claws!

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 06:55:03 PM »
Well, I'm going to the mall on friday to meet claus... That's close enough.

Offline jimmybjammin

• Raja's Rickshaws
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 09:03:36 AM »
I've only been to Dorney, Kings Island and Great Adventure for Halloween events, Great Adventure is just awful in comparison. Dorney and KI are free for season pass and a great value as it takes 2 nights to get through all the haunts, and the shows are not bad, though KI's shows were better than Dorney this year. I personally found Dorney to be the better of the two for the haunted houses and mazes even though many attractions go by the same "names." GA's two up charged haunts are good, but they would be do 6 of those for $30 admision? That's a joke compared to Dorney and the others that are free to season passes giving about 11 mazes/haunted houses and 2 shows of equiv quality. In addition to that, most of the New Yorkers/Philly people coming to GA usually are paying per day and don't show up until the evening anyway when I went for halloween last year. It would probably be a wash instead of a revenue increase.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 11:54:39 AM »
Most out-of-staters don't get to Great adventure until aroud noon, even in the summer.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »
Yes Great Adventure (Six Flags) would have to really make it much better
I paid the extra for the walk thru maze behind chiller but wouldn't pay again
it was just a bunch of fences arranged into a maze. If they put it in the woods it would have seems scarier
its not to scary when you can look up and see the rides if it had a canopy of trees above then its that much more claustrophobic

And yes as Matt put it after 5pm the park was PACKED
the most crowed I ever seen (nice weather)
lines in the day was a 5-10 minutes wait in the evening 1-2 hours
so it may be a wash

Its all about the weather
Yo

Offline coastermom

• Batman & Robin: The Chiller
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 04:53:24 PM »
We would really be ending our season in Sept . if this comes to be . With teenagers and a little one there would be no way for us to go to the park and stay for the day and then go back without the little guy in the same day . We are from out of state and . This would limit us to even going to FF at all . People with kids in different age groups would be really hurt by this move . I do not like the scare factor. I do not do any of the extra up charge walk throughs ... My Hubby and the older kids do . I do enjoy the shows and the awaking but I would not pay 30 for that . For it to work there would need to be a complete over haul of the park from what they offer now at FF  and that is not going to happen they are looking to make money here not spend it !

Offline nitro55

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 12:49:05 AM »
i wonted pay 4 just fright fest

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 07:59:36 AM »
And people said they'd never pay to park at amusement parks, not pay for television they can get free, not pay for radio they can get free, etc.

We shall see.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 10:10:58 AM »
Who pays for radio and TV you can get for free? XM and Cable are programming you can't get for free.

When you don't give people a choice, they are bound to pay if your product is worth it to them, but the current Fright Fest product is not worth much of anything to me, especially considering how busy the park is.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 09:17:10 PM »
When Bubba and I visited Canada's Wonderland two years ago, this is how it was done. We were there for the general admission until 5pm I believe. Then we left for dinner while the park was closed for a couple of hours. Then we returned and paid to get into their Haunt if memory serves. Honestly I don't have a problem with it, but they have to make it special and worth the added admission. As is Great Adventure's Fright Fest is a joke compared to Dorney's.

Then you've been to more CW FF than I have. lol

I've got mixed reviews about this setup. The Con is you have to pay for frieghtfest, but the pro is that the 10-5 segment of the day is extreamly dead. Reason being if you were not a season pass member and you had to pay for one or the other obviously you would choose FF. This past year they have tried to make the days family friendly. Calling it camp spooky and having fun halloween events for young kids. Also Season Pass holders get a discount on FF Tickets. I believe the discount is from $30, down to $23. Something like that anyways. But overall I like the setup cuz during the days on FF are the only time you can really marathon anything at CW.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:28:22 PM by dkny6363 »

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 09:20:41 PM »
It's actually pretty cool! Vortex was awesome with a near walk-on for the front! The fountain out front was bloody red with flames floating on it. The haunts were pretty good too until it got busy.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
CW fountains are amazing at night. Especially when thy go all white and cast shadows through the birch trees surrounding it. Vortex felt like it was running double speed on halloween this year. Could just be cuz there were flurrys. Not sure.