Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: PortAventura New for 2012- Shambhala  (Read 17862 times)

Offline Millennium Force 44

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
Re: PortAventura New for 2012- Shambhala
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 10:44:27 PM »
Check out this awesome video of Shambhala testing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pDALnwS7Hk#noexternalembed&feature=related

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
  • I'm the guy that looks like me.
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 10:58:07 PM »
Looks pretty boring IMO.

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »
Its too slow and the turnaround element is taken too slow because its too large and tall. Why can't b&m make an after mcbr section that isn't boring lately. I think nitro is probably gonna be a better all around experience. The drop on the mcbr in the back and those last three camelbacks really makes the ride especially the last two camelbacks.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:15:47 PM by Blackhand1001 »

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 09:15:32 PM »
B&M megas never look fast in videos. The turnaround deffinatly looks cool, but I think it's a worse call than the typical hammerhead. You guy are all huge nitro homers... Nitro is nice though.

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 01:19:20 PM »
Check out this awesome video of Shambhala testing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pDALnwS7Hk#noexternalembed&feature=related

Where is the awesome video? I just saw a video of a tall coaster barely making it over each hill, with ONE hill after the "mid course"... Would that be considered the 4/5ths course brake?

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
I meant awesome as in cool to finally see it testing. I wasn't talking about the ride itself.

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »
I <3 you

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 01:05:20 PM »
Hammerheads are lame; I'd honestly have a sick overbank. No airtime coming out of them. Apollo's Chariot has the best turnaround. I love the pacing of Nitro and Apollo as far as hypers with midcourse brakes go. They do it right. All the others have terrible pacing after the midcourse brakes. If it didn't have a single trim on it, Apollo would be my favorite. As is, Goliath over Georgia is the winner, then Apollo and Nitro. Then it's a tie between Behemoth and Diamondback, then Goliath over La Ronde and Raging Bull. 

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 03:31:38 PM »

Where is the awesome video? I just saw a video of a tall coaster barely making it over each hill, with ONE hill after the "mid course"... Would that be considered the 4/5ths course brake?
The sad thing is it will be even slower once they fill the water splash with water. I am glad we got our B&M's before they started making everything lame and forceless. I'll be mad if they remove medusa or batman for a stupid wing rider the lamest of all B&M coaster types.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 03:33:51 PM by Blackhand1001 »

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
Hammerheads are lame; I'd honestly have a sick overbank. No airtime coming out of them. Apollo's Chariot has the best turnaround. I love the pacing of Nitro and Apollo as far as hypers with midcourse brakes go. They do it right. All the others have terrible pacing after the midcourse brakes. If it didn't have a single trim on it, Apollo would be my favorite. As is, Goliath over Georgia is the winner, then Apollo and Nitro. Then it's a tie between Behemoth and Diamondback, then Goliath over La Ronde and Raging Bull. 

This is about the 37th time I've seen this ranking. lol

I look as these rides like a nice steak dinner... The drop to the turnaround is the MEAT. The next part until the brake is the potato. Post mid course is a bed of veggies.

Now I prefer some nice meat... Im not going to complain about a dinner that has bad vegtables... Its a bonus if thet are good but if they suck I dont eat them. In the case of Leviathan there is no veggies... ummm Im okay with that. In conclusion its nice to have a good pacing and good elements all through out, but its wayyy more important on a good wooden coaster, or even a steel coaster thats not 200+ Yeah behemoth sucks after the brake but who cares? The meat's good ;)

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 11:32:36 AM »
You got to be kidding me.

http://youtu.be/hASywoHt-2k?t=3m57s

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
^lol

B&M megas are so temperamental. Check out how fast Shambhala hauls through the turnaround in this clip at 48 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBkaIpBXdCE#noexternalembed#t=48s
Then at the end of the video it creeps through like it isn't going to make it.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 09:45:42 PM »
Nah. A bad ending ruins everything good. ;)

There should be "meat" all the way to the end. See Apollo. The most intense airtime is on the final drop.  Mm now I'm really missing Apollo.  Looking forward to going back the Gardens this summer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:48:47 PM by AV Matt »

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2012, 12:45:51 AM »
Nah. A bad ending ruins everything good. ;)

There should be "meat" all the way to the end. See Apollo. The most intense airtime is on the final drop.  Mm now I'm really missing Apollo.  Looking forward to going back the Gardens this summer.

They don't make like they used to. Another good one with pacing is phantoms revenge. That ride is worth the trip alone let alone the several 1920's woodies. I wish morgan was still around so they could have converted scream machine lol.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:50:32 AM by Blackhand1001 »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2012, 02:37:39 PM »
Matt tell me when you're going, I still need to book my trip.

• Rolling Thunder
  • Coaster King
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 11:36:16 AM »
Seems to be go much much faster in this POV. It actually looks great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8LA19HfeO0#noexternalembed

Also, you can see in the video that the water splash is like Manta's so the train isn't losing any speed.

Offline dkny6363

• Batman The Ride
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012, 12:45:51 PM »
This reminds me of a combo of leviathan, and behemoth actually.

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2012, 04:48:36 PM »
Neat, looks like it carries quite a bit of speed throughout the whole layout. That first drop looks utterly fantastic.

Not sure if this has merit, but maybe they pushed the MCBR's back to help capacity due to everyone being so slow in the stations, idk.

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 11:12:32 PM »
Neat, looks like it carries quite a bit of speed throughout the whole layout. That first drop looks utterly fantastic.

Not sure if this has merit, but maybe they pushed the MCBR's back to help capacity due to everyone being so slow in the stations, idk.

Nitro in reality doesn't really need an MCBR and neither does this. I have never seen a train make it to the top of the lift before the train in front of it has cleared the block brake on the final brake run. Nitro also has three block sections behind the station. I don't mind nitros since it has the awesome drop off of it afterwards but on rides like behemoth it kind of sucks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:14:30 PM by Blackhand1001 »

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2012, 01:41:15 PM »
Nitro has used it before, when they actually get a motivated crew, I've seen a train leave the station right as another left the lift hill continuously for a good part of a few seasons.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
"Shutter" Millennium Force does three train op the right way.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:40:19 AM by AV Matt »

Offline B-mac

• Nitro
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »
you mean needing a dual station for loading and unloading? Volcano @ KD does that too and they fail hard at it, and they only have two trains :\.

Offline Blackhand1001

• Global Moderator
  • Houdini's Great Escape
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2012, 01:11:05 AM »
Nitros capacity is fine and better than millennium forces. Intamin's station system especially the multi-station ones have always been a sore point for them and are responsible for a lot of intermittent breakdowns especially on Kingda Ka and Top Thrill dragster.

Offline AV Matt

• Kingda Ka
    • Coaster-Count.com
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2012, 07:43:34 AM »
It works on MF because they have three trains and no midcourse brake. The unload station only needs one attendant. It unloads while the next train loads and the third train is out on the circuit. Then when the train comes into the brakes, it has virtually no need to stack, assuming people aren't having trouble with the ridiculous restraints. That's the bottleneck on Intamin rides and the fact that they break down constantly. Coasters have had separate load and unload areas since the beginning. There's no reason why it should cause issues. Kingda Ka is a colossal lemon.