Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Freefall Rumor  (Read 3695 times)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Freefall Rumor
« on: July 31, 2006, 11:55:19 AM »
This is taken from Screamscape:

Park News - (7/31/06) We?ve heard from at least one guest that GASM (Great American Scream Machine) is open again. I?m not sure why they needed to perform repairs to the track but we did hear one story claiming that the ride may have been struck my lightning. No way to confirm hat however, so take it as you will. In other news, we?ve heard that yesterday was the last day of operation for the park?s Freefall ride, which means it will likely be removed in the near future if true. Now lets talk about El Toro. One of our readers has posted a great video taken from the front seat of El Toro that shows off the ride from the middle of the lift hill to the brake run. It?s worth checking out.

Did anyone hear anything about this or do you think its totally bogus?

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Re: Freefall Rumor
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 12:16:32 PM »
Bummer.  It will be interesting to see if it opens back up again to help verify this rumor.  Screamscape is always with a grain of salt. 

Although I thought the ride was finished after the last breakdown.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 01:05:37 PM »
It's been up and down so much that anything's believeable.  I could see plans for the Chiller/Freefall area being made in the not-so-distant future that don't include them.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 01:29:45 PM »
I would love to be a Fly on the wall in the board room when they are (Six flags head honchos) thinking up additions/improvements for 2007. To see what park get what etc.
Yo

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:34:00 PM »
they can finally upgrade to a gyro drop!

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:36:39 PM »
they can finally upgrade to a gyro drop!

Or Just 5 or 6 small S&S Towers identical to Indiana Beach's... 5 or 6 to keep capacity down, identical to IB's so we can have a "Fun Seat" ;)

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 01:58:29 PM »
IB is indeed a great place to be.
And that tower was a good ride cornball is great.
Yes A Tower of some type www.ridetrade.com/r_products_thrillrides.htm and any big Flat like
A giant frissbee   www.hussrides.com/32GiantFrisbee.htm
And this coaster has a narrow footprint www.coastergallery.com/1999/SFGA7.html
both have ok capacity and great thrills.
Yo

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 02:06:48 PM »
It would not surprise me if this rumour is true.

First generation INTAMIN freefalls are disappearing rapidly.  Mr. Hyde's Nasty Fall at Geauga Lake (a correctly named ride if there ever was one) is now gone.

I, for one, would like to see the regular Frisbee back at Great Adventure. This time where people can see it, find it and ride it!

Offline candc

• Koala Canyon
  • Carlos & Chris
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:38:13 PM »
Would it really be such a bad thing to scrap Freefall and Chiller?  It certainly would reduce the cost of maintainance on these two rides that always break down.  A brand new Power Tower ride would be great.  Have y'all been on Drop Zone at Paramount King's Dominion in VA?  That ride is awesome and holds like 40 people!  Also a cool B&M "dive" coaster like Busch Garden's Sheikra would rock in our park!  Heck, they could also get rid of that damn Batman Stuntshow arena and really have lots of room to add a whole new section, including a frisbee and more!  lol

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 03:47:24 PM »
Something tells me that if those rides go, Mr. Shapiro will not be interested in installing thrill rides.  Rather, some nice benches, a restaurant or two, and a place where dogs and cats can dance in a little show aimed at the tots and toddler set.

Really.

And I am not at all sure that would be a bad thing, either...

Particularly if they opened with the park and stayed open.

And not just in April and May, either.

Offline rjholla2003

• Admini-what?!
  • Administrator
  • Kingda Ka
  • Ehh, What's Up Doc!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
I'd personally convert Granny's to a sit-down, full service, resturant.  Add a full-time, high quality show to Movietown Stunt Arena.  Something that will make Batman and Robin proud.  Add a high-capacity drop tower complex in Chiller's area, Giant Frisbee in Freefall's spot, and maybe a dark ride.  With HBO Backlot and Granny's right there, the park would waste space by putting another eatery in that area.
Peep the concept, you've got progress, you've got congress
We protest in hopes they confess, just proceed on your conquest
I ain't got no gavel, I ain't finna fight nobody battle
I just wanna be free, I ain't finna be nobody's chattel

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 05:24:17 PM »
Given all the troubles that Paramount's Kings Island has had with their Giant Frisbee, it'd surprise me if HUSS sells any more of them.  KI's was down most of last summer, and is only now starting to run correctly most of the time.  Cedar Point has not had as many problems with theirs', ...yet.

Offline invisiblerider

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 06:54:34 PM »
I agree that it would be no real loss if Freefall and Chiller were scrapped. I once again will say this that we may finally see a drop tower at gadv. Most other parks have drop towers why not us! either an S&S turbo drop *triple or quad towers* or a gyro drop like Drop Zone at PKD or Acrophobia at SFOG would be nice

Offline David Jr

• Parachute Training Center
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 07:03:04 PM »
It wouldn't suprise me one bit. I'll wait and see on this.
Are you ready to send those commies running back to their mommies?

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3

Offline OrlandoRocks

• Carousel
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 10:34:45 PM »
I've had enough of the chiller's downtime and its time to replace SMFF. I'll agree with pcman Great Adventure needs to add a Intamin Twisted Impulse Coaster in the place of chiller and some type of drop towers. Here's a thought maybe they still have taz's twister still around and put that in where choas was ?

Offline superman_test_dummy

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 12:42:58 PM »
Chiller just had a very unfortunate accident. Prior to the accident both sides were finally running at the same time and things were looking up. I have a feeling that in the offseason the new management will finally give Chiller the full care it needs and works all the bugs out because it would be a shame to see the ride go. Personally I feel that Chiller coasters are the the most unique in the park. I say give them one more season because I'd rather have 2 amazing coasters with some problems there than a smoking section.

Wow that was off topic but as for freefall I would hate to see it go unless they were replacing it with another drop tower ride. Otherwise i say keep it.