Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: SFDL Closing Early  (Read 1728 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
SFDL Closing Early
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:44:45 PM »
I have a feeling it will be for sale soon...

From the AP @ Yahoo Finance:

Six Flags Darien Lake Closing Early
Tuesday August 8, 3:59 pm ET 
Six Flags Darien Lake Park Ending Season Four Weeks Early

DARIEN CENTER, N.Y. (AP) -- New York's largest theme park said it will end its summer season four weeks early this year as its corporate parent continues to suffer financial problems.
Six Flags Darien Lake, located between Rochester and Buffalo, is one of six properties being considered for sale by parent company Six Flags Inc. because of financial losses. As of July 31, the park had already reduced operating hours five out of seven days and closed two rides, including a major roller coaster. The new closing date is Oct. 1.

The amusement park is one of Genesee County's biggest employers, with about 2,000 workers during operating season.

Six Flags spokeswoman Wendy Goldberg said Tuesday the decision to move October's "Fright Fest" event to September and close early was based on weather and attendance projections.

"It's a seasonal business," she said, and the company decided moving the Halloween-themed event earlier would "allow more people to attend and enjoy the experience."

Goldberg declined to comment on this season's attendance at Darien Lake, saying the company does not break out numbers at individual parks in its reports.

Six Flags Inc. has been plagued with financial troubles, announcing last week in its second quarter earnings report that attendance and revenue continued to be down from a year ago. The company also faces more than $2 billion in debt and tried to change strategies this year under a new management team in an effort to increase the family appeal of its parks.

In June, the company announced plans to sell six of its 30 theme park properties, including Darien Lake, Six Flags Elitch Gardens in Denver and Six Flags Splashtown in Houston.

Shares of Six Flags were up a penny at $5.01 in late afternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
Re: SFDL Closing Early
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 05:38:31 PM »
If I bought a Season pass for that park.
I would be asking for a refund or half my $ back as a lot of people including myself buy passes to go in the Fall when it's cooler and not as crowed and also for the Halloween events. In fact my wife hasn't even been to the park yet and she has a season pass she likes going when it's cooler and for the Halloween events.
The company is making big moves and I'm sure others will follow.
Not good
Yo

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 06:48:48 PM »
Such a shame another park might be lost.  What rollercoaster is closed there?

Anyone want to make a trip to SFDL in September?

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 08:46:37 PM »
I know that Predator is closed.  That's the woodie there.  For many years now, only the front seat on that thing is even halfway capable of passing for rideable.  Still, a closed Predator is not a good thing.

Offline PcMan

• Kingda Ka
  • Yo
    • techhi.net
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 09:05:31 PM »
Such a shame another park might be lost.  What rollercoaster is closed there?

Anyone want to make a trip to SFDL in September?
whats up near that area  ?
Yo

Offline GADVwow

• Kingda Ka
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 09:26:29 PM »
Well, there's Marineland...and Niagra Falls, and Seabreeze Park, just to name a few things.