Welcome, Guest

Latest 20 Shouts

Current Weather

SIX Stock

Author Topic: Lake Compounce 8-18-06  (Read 5556 times)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
Lake Compounce 8-18-06
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:50:19 PM »
It is very odd that in the 13 years my parents have lived in CT, I've never been to LC.  It always seemed that I either couldn't resist the closeness to SFNE & S:ROS and perhaps the fact that I didn't have kids that would go on the rides until recently.

So today we finally made the trip.  What a OUTSTANDING park.  We had a wonderful day full of great food, rides and fun.  Some sections of the park were like stepping back in time (trolley, carousel,etc.) while other things were state of the art (thunder & lightning, etc.).  I have a few pros and cons to discuss but being that I'm on borrowed wireless and can't upload photos right now, I'll finish up later.

However, I wanted to throw out there - esp to Sue and Rich since they were just married @ Lake Compounce ;), WHAT happened to Boulder Dash??? .  This had to be one of the roughest, most turbulent wooden coasters I've ever been on :(.  Actually, Mean Streak was smoother.  I like wood coasters but certain areas were actually beyond painful.  Almost like there was a 5" pothole in the track.  Anyway, the ride is AMAZING.  It had great airtime, awesome setting/layout and great forces.  I actually totally enjoyed sections of it.  It was just so odd that there were parts that just wreaked lawsuit.  I think every single rider getting off complained.  I just smiled because the rest of it ROCKED :)  I'm just curious if those that have ridden it this year had the same experience???

Photos and more TR coming soon :)

Offline ChuckR

• Would you just look at it?
  • Global Moderator
  • Kingda Ka
  • RIP Chiller...
    • Facebook
Re: Lake Compounce 8-18-06
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:12:31 PM »
Supposenly it's been running like that all this year. Hopefully they fix it during the off season though.

Offline Bubba Z

• White Castle Fries only come in one size
  • Global Moderator
  • Nitro
    • http://www.freewebs.com/fredbean/index.htm
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 12:06:49 AM »
^Hopefully they fix it by when Rob... Sept 29th?

Looking forward to the pics.

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 03:54:55 PM »
Can't wait for the rest of your TR and pics, Wade!

How bad were the crowds?  LC actually sent an e-mail to the people on their mailing list to avoid that day if at all possible.  They were supposed to have a very large number of groups yesterday.

I seriously don't understand what everyone is talking about with BD being rough.  We haven't been on since the wedding, but I certainly hope it hasn't gotten that bad.  It was rougher than normal for the wedding, but nothing I would consider bad.  Then again, we love RT so maybe it's just us.  :-)

Rest assured that the park is well aware of it and doing everything they can to keep it running the best they can for the rest of the season.  They have plans to do some major work on it in the off-season.

Sue
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 04:11:44 PM by coastersue »

Offline Robert T Ackerman

• SPAGHETT!
  • Global Moderator
  • Green Lantern
  • "The Grammar Hammer!"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 06:22:08 PM »
Sue, BD has noticably gotten worse. It is a very wierd rough though. The one hill going up after the double down, that gives a pretty mean pop of air, into a downward ramp, and the ramp leaning to the right, for some reason, that hill has gotten a very odd up and down bounce to it. I am not sure how it happened, but its extremely noticable, so much that I only took 5 or 6 laps when I easily could have gotten 20+ (which I have never turned away from before)

I'll let you be the judge, but that hill, and the next 2 are getting pretty out of shape. I was told by a LC.org member who talked to Jerry that it wil lbe getting the attention it will need to run like new again this winter, its just a shame it has gotten to this.

Nice report Wade, glad you enjoyed one of my favorite parks!

Rob
Posted on: August 19, 2006, 07:21:30 pm
^Hopefully they fix it by when Rob... Sept 29th?

Looking forward to the pics.

Yes Joe, the 29th. Be there or be square.

Yeah, that sucks about Chiller...I hate to see it like that. Hey, so we should get a group picture or something ok. I'll call you later!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 02:24:37 PM »
Pictures!

I had no clue ESPN was located here - silly me lol

I took this pic to give you an idea how far out we parked.  They were parking people to the left when we came in as well (on the grass)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 02:26:32 PM »
Everybody seems to have that exclusive picture of the horse and Wildcat in the main entrance so I took this instead to show how nice the landscaping is :)

Kyle is thrilled because @ Gadv he isn't tall enough to ride the exact same ride

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 02:28:50 PM »
I'm not sure what hurt more - Boulder Dash or this thing  :o

A train ride that is actually working!  They both would have ridden this all day.  I think Kyle took 5 laps on it lol

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 02:30:34 PM »
For some reason, kids think they can actually catch up to each other on these  ;D

Luke telling grandmom where we are going next after the wonderful train ride along the lake

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 02:33:18 PM »
A view of the park from the other side of "The Lake" - taken from the train

I just don't understand how a park this small can have a Trolley, Train, Boat and Skyride operating while Gadv can barely keep one side of a skyride operational.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 02:36:06 PM »
The Trolley was awesome!

The station at the park side was really nice

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 02:37:38 PM »
Didn't Gadv have these at one point as well?  This picture shows how nice of a setting this park has!

Here is the ONLY picture I took of Boulder Dash

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 02:39:30 PM »
We were all totally amazed at the carousel.  It is a work of art!

LOOK!  They have tails!  Most likely real horse hair to.

Simply amazing :)

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 02:51:48 PM »
I'll end with a couple pics of our final visit to the Sound this year

OUCH!  Checkout Luke's sunburn from going to LC lol

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 02:55:12 PM »
Those are great pictures, I never knew LC had that much to offer. Like you said, you really only find  pictures of the front sign, Wildcat, Chair Lift and Boulder Dash when people do photo trip reports. Nice Job, looking forward to getting there soon.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »
This summer went WAY TO FAST :(  

I'm really glad we made the extra effort this year to get to Lake Compounce.  In a warped way, there was more to do there with the kids than there is @ Gadv mostly because of the different height requirement rules.  They had kiddie bumper cars, all of those wonderful transportation rides, that my under 36" son could go on with his brother.  Currently, 85% of the rides at Gadv are still off-limits to him @ gadv (which I guess is our fault for having a October baby lol).

We are definately going back next year.  Maybe even turning it into a once a year deal along with Knoebels because even with the crazy crowds from all of the groups there this day, it never felt overwhelming.  None of the lines for the big attractions were over 20 minutes and the kiddie rides were 1 cycle wait at most.  And the best part was how nice the atmosphere was.  EVERYBODY got along, talked, etc. and the staff were outstanding.  And the free Pepsi (well, Mountain Dew for me lol) was just topped off a great day :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 08:14:38 PM by WadeJ »

Offline Bubba Z

• Global Moderator
  • Nitro
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 03:15:49 PM »
I like Coke better, but it seems all the nicer parks I go to have Pepsi and like in this case free !!

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 03:50:29 PM »
Those are great pictures, I never knew LC had that much to offer. Like you said, you really only find  pictures of the front sign, Wildcat, Chair Lift and Boulder Dash when people do photo trip reports. Nice Job, looking forward to getting there soon.

Thanks ;)

Its funny how different you look at things when children are with you vs. being with adults.  Its just like how I've been to Disney with my family and never ridden Space Moutain lol.  Although since I didn't have the credits I made sure to ride every coaster @ Lake Compounce LOL

Offline SilverBullet

• Congo Rapids
  • Videos are teh shiz.
    • Theme Park Central
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
LC looks like a really nice small park. I'm looking foward to riding BD next year when it get fixed up. I actually passed on it this year for the fact BD is running awful.

Great TR!

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 05:45:22 PM »
Wow, the Mark Twain boat was running?  That hardly ever runs.  It didn't run the day of our wedding, but at least they let us on to take pictures.

Sue

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 06:28:38 PM »
Wow, the Mark Twain boat was running?  That hardly ever runs.  It didn't run the day of our wedding, but at least they let us on to take pictures.

Sue

Maybe it was because of the huge groups that were there lol

Thats a bummer if they don't always run it although I can see how it could be costly.

The ONLY ride we saw down was the roaring rapids back by the skyride.  And it looked as though it might have been a temporary closure since the entrance and operators booth were staffed.  I know from Gadv that those things can fill and drain VERY quickly.

Just think of the massive capacity Great Adventure could have with a paddlewheel boat the size of the ones at Disney?  They under-utlilize the lake while Lake Compounce capitalizes on it.

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 06:33:09 PM »
One more thing that I almost forgot to point out - The water park.

IT WAS CRAZY CROWDED.  I would never in a million years let my kids venture into that disaster and I'm guessing they don't really have a capacity set.  While the slides, etc. aren't too bad because its a controlled release, the play area was unsafe.  I feel the same way when Balins Jungleland is overcrowded.  There are just way to many people jammed into a small area that is hard to navigate.  I must admit, it was VERY impressive and is included in park admission.

The water park was also the most likely reason the lines were so short all day.  I would imagine the ride lines increase towards the evening hours or when its colder outside.

Offline coastersue

• Spinmeister
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 07:54:55 PM »
From what I know the reason the Mark Twain doesn't run much is more to do with weather.  I don't know exactly why, but if there's the slightest breeze, it won't run.

Sue

Offline WadeJ

• Administrator
  • Green Lantern
    • GadvOutpost
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2006, 02:17:17 PM »
Actually, that could be why.  I doubt that boat has a very deep hull so the slightest breeze could drift it sideways.  Plus, they probably do get a good breeze with being down in a valley like that.

Offline overlord

• Graphc Designer
  • Administrator
  • Green Lantern
  • Batman has no limits.
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2006, 05:31:29 PM »
His sunburn looks almost like my arms from trying to tan out my farmers tan in wildwood.